• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SUBS!

i decided to order them last night. heres what i got. a good deal for the money in my opinion.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-i5jAhJWCfFh/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=208250&I=700VBPXT

now all i need is the wiring, which i already have the sub power cable, thanks to a friend of mine.

while i am talking about my friend i might just throw this in there. the reson why i have his cables is his car started on fire because he wiried the power through the hood hindge and into the door. the insulation rubbed off and touched the hood whitch caued a short and then a fire. thankfully some one was near by and threw some snow on it (i still don't get how putting snow on a short put out an electrical fire) and then he called the fire dept. anyways long story short he gave me the good part of the wires.

oh and the A piliar and part of the door are completely torched.

also i will need help from somebody on how to installed this amp. i have the dual deck with the fold out front. what will i need? there is a spot for "high input" what is that for? othere wise i can figure out the rest.

i will also need to know what gauge speaker wire to use. i just ran the power cable i got and it is a perfect fit. the only problem i have is that at the end of the power cable it goes through a reduction. it goes from a thick wire to two thiner wires. i have maybe $10 left to get this done. i will have the sub in a few days. i have enough power cable to go to the back seat and then it splits to the thin wires. what else do i need? i think i will ned a ground cable and the sending cables and the speaker wire. if you can think of anything else let me know.

Gnat5680 said:
also i will need help from somebody on how to installed this amp. i have the dual deck with the fold out front. what will i need? there is a spot for "high input" what is that for? othere wise i can figure out the rest.

You should have at least one set of RCA Pre-Outs on your deck. This is where you plug in your RCA patch cables. You will need to run a Turn-on Lead from your deck to your amp, usually a blue wire. I would use a 16ga. wire for this. If you have your instructions for your deck it will tell you what is what. It may also be labeled on your wiring harness.

Gnat5680 said:
i will also need to know what gauge speaker wire to use. i just ran the power cable i got and it is a perfect fit. the only problem i have is that at the end of the power cable it goes through a reduction. it goes from a thick wire to two thiner wires. i have maybe $10 left to get this done. i will have the sub in a few days. i have enough power cable to go to the back seat and then it splits to the thin wires. what else do i need? i think i will ned a ground cable and the sending cables and the speaker wire. if you can think of anything else let me know.
I would use 14ga. speaker wire, minimum 16ga. What gauge is your power wire? I would use a min. of 8ga. from battery to amp with a 60 amp fuse in between. You can get a connector to attach to the power wire to connect it directly to the amp. As for ground, I would use 8ga. with a minimum of 10ga. The ground wire needs to be as short as possible and connected bare metal, prefferably the chassis.

The two thinner wires are coming out of a distribution block. It allows for you to hook up on larger gauge wire and split it into two smaller wires so you can hook up two amps. Like stated above, I would run your power wire straight to the amp if it's 8ga., but if it's 4ga. or bigger then I would use the distribution block (step down) the wire gauge to 8 ga.

Last edited:
i just got back from wal mart and picked up there wireing kit for 26 bucks. it cam with the power cable(8 ga.) ground cable(8 ga.) a turn on cable(who knows the ga.) and the RCA cables. it came with a rca cable with stereo cables (2 cables) i have one RCA input and right next to it i have the RCA output. i belive that is the preamp out. what do i do about that? also is there a special RCA connector in the back of my deck?

i just looked at my manual and found the RCA outs. the problem is that the RCA goes to the following:

Rear preamp out
Front preamp out
Aux input(already being used)
XM Audio input

i only have one input for amp. where do i plug the amp in?

if needed i can take a pic of the diagram

i have an idea. i could hook the sub amp up to the rear speaker preamp outputs and then that should solve the problem of where to hook it up. i will be takeing the dash apart and hooking up the wires tomorrow and will have more info then but if i don't get any other reponses tonight i will just hook it up to the rear speaker preamp output. so somebody post and let me know if i should or shuold not do that

Gnat5680 said:
i have an idea. i could hook the sub amp up to the rear speaker preamp outputs and then that should solve the problem of where to hook it up. i will be takeing the dash apart and hooking up the wires tomorrow and will have more info then but if i don't get any other reponses tonight i will just hook it up to the rear speaker preamp output. so somebody post and let me know if i should or shuold not do that

I would use the rear outputs. You can then use the front if/when you decide to add an amp to your other speakers.

thank you for the quick response. are you positive that i can hook up my mono bass amp to the rear outs? will it cut out my rear speakers?(not that it matters, they are both blown)

I have a sub build into my spare space in the back. I need to uninstall it and sell before I start drilling my shelf into the face. I will probably head out next week to find a replacement panel.

As much space as I originally wanted to use, is not sufficient for the sound I want. I now have a 12" Kappa installed into a Prefab enclosure.

Jason

can i put a connector at the end of the cable an hook the 2 RCA's together? just like a sterio to mono connector?

No, don't do that.

h028V108XT-L.jpeg

This amp is apparently designed for you to have one amp on each channel if it is wired as it is labeled.

Hey i just got a JL 12" and a jensen amp, I searched for how to take the dash apart but didnt find anything. Could someone link me to a write-up or maybe just explain if it isnt that difficult. thanks.

How do i wire it up than???

to take apar the dash is somewhat tricky but because i have done it about 5 time already i will be glad to help.

what i like to do first is take off the shell around the steering colum. that is connected with 3 T20 torx bolts. then once you have thoses out remove the tilt ajustment by unscrewing it, then carefully separate the box and try not to break the little clips in the back. after you have the shell off then look into the gauge cluster. at the top there should be 2 phillips screws. remove thoese. after that there is one more screw. on the right there is that "fake" light gauge. under that is the ciggarete lighter. there should be a screw on the top of one of thoses.

after you take those screws out you may start CAREFULLY pulling the dash forwards. it will take alot of pulling power. it is mostly held in there with little clips but be gentle as it is only plastic. once you have it mostly taken apart you will notive that the area where the gauges were is stuck behind the steering colum. for that i just am very carefull and try to pull as hard and gentle as possible. that piece is the hardest to get out. DO NOT JERK IT OUT!!! just gently pull and wigle.

after yo uhave that out you are free to do what ever you like. to reinstall repeat the steps backwards.

like i have said before. BE CAREFULL!!!!!!! it is only plastic and it can break.

goodburbon said:
No, don't do that.

h028V108XT-L.jpeg

This amp is apparently designed for you to have one amp on each channel if it is wired as it is labeled.

if I tie the two channels together then i would have a mono input like i need. this is only going to be hooked up to a single 10" sub so i don't need dual channels

no problem just post up here if you have trouble and i will post back as soon as i can.

i have taken my dash fully apart like i said about 5 times now. i will be taking it apart later today. it is just starting to become secound nature to me.

if anyone has an answer to how i should hook up my amp that would help alot! i am about to leave to go over to my "shop"(really my dad's garage) and work on it. so i need any answer within an hour.

Back