• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Study on Jobs Lost to Illegal Aliens

BrianB

NAXJA Forum User
Heck, these Hispanics would have us believe nothing would get done in this country without them. They call themselves "workers." I guess we should start calling Rapists "Casanovas?"

12:00 AM CST on Thursday, March 23, 2006
By MICHELLE MITTELSTADT / The Dallas Morning News

WASHINGTON – Business, labor and immigrant-rights groups lobbying Congress to legalize millions of illegal immigrants and permit a future flow of foreign job seekers often cite low unemployment rates as proof of the economy's hunger for new workers.

Immigrants are filling the jobs Americans won't take, they say, such as backbreaking work in farming and meatpacking.

Nonsense, says a think tank opposed to immigration increases. Competition from immigrant workers, the majority coming here with a high school diploma at most, may be proving harmful to native-born workers at the lower end of the educational and pay scales, the Center for Immigration Studies says.

In a report issued Wednesday, the center said its analysis of Census Bureau data shows that of the 65 million native-born American adults with a high school degree or less, nearly 4 million are unemployed and 19 million more have stopped looking for work.

"It is extraordinarily hard to make the case that America is desperately short of less-educated workers," said the report's author, Center for Immigration Studies research director Steven Camarota.

Critics say the study represents at best a partial snapshot and makes no reference to the benefits that immigrant workers bring to the U.S. economy.

Between 2000 and 2005, labor force participation for native-born adults without a high school degree fell from 59 percent to 56 percent, the center said, citing findings of the Current Population Survey conducted by the Census Bureau each March. Participation for native-born adults with a high school degree dropped from 78 percent to 75 percent, the report said.

At the same time, the number of adult immigrant workers with a high school degree or less increased by 1.5 million, rising from 15.5 percent of the workforce to 17.4 percent, or about 11.6 million people.

The trend held in Texas, too. Less-educated native-born workers' participation in the labor market fell from 66.9 percent in 2000 to 65.6 percent in 2005 – compared with a rise from 24.9 percent to 28.9 percent for immigrants of similar educational background.

"No one disputes that less-educated natives have done very poorly in the last five years," Mr. Camarota said.

And yet, he said, the ongoing Senate debate over immigration changes that could include legalizing many of the nation's 11 million to 12 million illegal immigrants has been largely silent on what he called the "enormous implications" for U.S. workers at the lower end of the spectrum.

"The whole idea that 'America has a 5 percent unemployment rate and therefore clearly we need lots of immigrant labor' is very foolish," Mr. Camarota said.

It is obvious that you have an agenda here with your recent posts, but you should take some time to think about these things…

Let’s see, 11.7 million immigrant workers equals 17.4% of the workforce. That means that the total workforce in this country is only about 66.7 million people. Regardless of the implications, it is pretty accepted that unemployment is near 5% right now. But from the numbers in this report, we also can tell that at least 4 million native born Americans with high school education or less are ‘unemployed’. If we take into account that the workforce is only 66.7 million people, then we come to the conclusion that less educated native born Americans represent more than 100 percent of the unemployment in this country or about 6%. Now the numbers may be off a little, but there are certainly many higher educated workers that are counted as unemployed, so either the unemployment rate is significantly higher than 5%, or foreign workers do not represent 17.4% of the workforce…

So maybe they mean 17.4% of the less educated workforce? If that is the case, then, again, our less educated workforce is 66.7 million people, 11.7 million of which are ‘immigrants’, and 42 million of which are native born. That leaves us with a gap of about 13 million workers. This also makes no sense...

Believe what you will about the effects of immigrants, but the numbers presented here are from a group with an agenda to push, and given the inconsistencies, they are, at the very least, not telling the full story behind the numbers…

Travis

The unemployment rate is much higher than 5%, that 5% only accounts for those people receiving benefits, once those benefits are done they fall off the charts. I was kind of off the charts for 2 years working off the grid so to speak and I know alot of others like me that are still off it working. If you don't claim you don't get counted so don't take those federal numbers too seriously, those are number pols can use to look good. When I say of the grid I mean 'working for cash and barter', big economy out there in that area...

Obsess much?

:geek:

*edit*

Your cute little story there isn't talking about illegal immigrants other than references to current legislation. :D

Last edited:
Oh, it's going to take more than obsession on the parts of a lot of people to solve this problem. The term to describe what it's going to take probably hasn't been coined yet. We've ignored the situation to the point where it's so big, in fact, that some people would have you think there's isn't a viable solution.

Yea, we've been complacent, myself included, to the idea that a few hundred thousand crossing the border a year has seemed acceptable. "No reason to obsess over the problem," we thought, "they're not terrorists, they're just coming here to take jobs no one else wants. Sure, they're not supposed to be here, but we're a pretty cool nation, built by immigrants, let's not be hypocrites ... we're not starving ... I don't send my kids to public schools anyway ..."

But here we are, 9-12 million "workers" later and it's to the point where these criminals are in the streets screaming in Spanish about their "rights." And they have no rights. And they ARE taking jobs people would otherwise and driving down wages in the process. Why do you think so many of these people live 10 to a house built for 5? Is that the kind of life you want for Americans who want to lay brick for a living, or do roofing work?

My agenda, in case there is any doubt, is to make people aware of the enormous scope of the problem, to the point, where they are calling their representatives locally and nationally. My agenda is to make sure you know that any way you cut it, illegal immigration is wrong, and that we need a just solution for everyone involved.

Mambeu said:
There are illegal immigrants of every race and nationality. The problem of illegal immigration is a legal issue, not a racial one.

It may not be racial at Cornell?, but here in Dallas, it's very racial. Did you see the march here on Sunday? A sea of brown lead by National Hispanic Leaders, the Bishop of the Diocese of Dallas, old white guy, and an oddball appearance by a black guy named Royce West, kind of famous local attorney and I guess a state representative now. I guess he runs in a major minority district and can't get reelected without the Hispanic vote. And God knows the Republicans in the State House aren't going to redictrict and give him a major black district, so he's got to dance with the ones that brought him, at least for now.

God only knows where the Catholic Church would be here in the States without Hispanics.

Hey, the fact that most of the illegal aliens in Texas are Hispanic is of no consequence to me. I'm done with complacency. These llegals have offended my American Spirit, I think. They've worn out their welcome. It's time for all illegals to pack up and leave and that's my agenda.

BrianB said:
My agenda, in case there is any doubt, is to make people aware of the enormous scope of the problem, to the point, where they are calling their representatives locally and nationally. My agenda is to make sure you know that any way you cut it, illegal immigration is wrong, and that we need a just solution for everyone involved.

Apples and oranges, friend... You have some very valid points about ILLEGAL immigrants, but the article you posted above isn't talking about that. It's very apparent that you're making an issue into something completely different than what it really is. :confused1

I wonder if many of the people with an oppinion or who have done a study, have ever swung a hammer next to a crew of Mexicnas? Or even have a clue as to why Mexican labor is so popular.
Many of the white guys I know concider wearing a suit to work and getting paid the most, for doing the least, a success.
What is the old saying. A person never got rich working for a living.
There is more going on with hiring Mexican labor, than they are cheap. They follow instructions, listen to orders, understand team work, take pride in a job well done and don't complain a lot. Just my experiences. Many may not be the quickest on the job, but more than make up for it in dependability.
Sure generalities are often false, but when I do the hiring, they often seem to have the traits I want on my team.

screw it, if they came illegally then ship them out, why reward them for breaking the law and why change the law to make them legal. If they can't do it the right way then get rid of them.

I keep thinking the knee jerk reaction to send them back home, may be grounded in a theory of mine.
Many people aren't the least bit interested in improving themselves, but find it much more career enhancing to figure out a way to eleminate the competition.:) Or figure out a way to get preferential treatment.

BrianB said:
these criminals are in the streets screaming in Spanish about their "rights." And they have no rights.

I kinda take issue with this statement. I read some where once, something about people being endowed with "certain inalienable rights". Where did I read that? Hmmmm...

You espouse noting but xenophobia on your part with your post.

Have a great day!

XJFang said:
I kinda take issue with this statement. I read some where once, something about people being endowed with "certain inalienable rights". Where did I read that? Hmmmm...

You espouse noting but xenophobia on your part with your post.

Have a great day!
Silly man, didn't you read the fine print that says "unless you're a citizen you're not classified as human and can die in the gutter for all we care"

:firedevil

(By the way, yes I agree that they DO have rights. If we start creating a class of people that don't have rights we end up going down the path of a certain polititian in Germany in the 1930's... EVERYBODY has rights)

True, they have rights as human beings. But the same rights as citizens? If thats true, why be a citizen and pay taxes, etc?

98XJSport said:
True, they have rights as human beings. But the same rights as citizens? If thats true, why be a citizen and pay taxes, etc?

Citizens have rights.

Non-citizens have rights.

Citizens have certain privleges.

Non-citizens do not have all of those privleges.

Don't you need to be an American to have American rights?

Human rights- All humans

American rights- All Americans

Zebaru said:
It is obvious that you have an agenda here with your recent posts...
:rattle:
I thought that only those out to destroy this country could have an opinion, much less an agenda. What kind of nut case would try and defend his country's sovereignty? We owe all these people a place for demonstrating in the streets, demanding our nation and our laws be changed because they won't do it in their own country.

Zebaru said:
... they are, at the very least, not telling the full story behind the numbers…

Travis

Like the media, they told you so; huh, Travis? Speak Spanish Travis?
Better learn before you loose your job because of it.

Bleeder!

XJFang said:
.... "certain inalienable rights". Where did I read that? Hmmmm...

Translate it to spanish and send them home with it; let them mix it with the blood of there fallen and live by it.

Been denied a job yet because you don't speak spanish?

Grow some!

GSequoia said:
Non-citizens do not have all of those privleges.

Wake up G., you been living by the beech too long.

My mother in law, a legal immigrant with permanent resident status was registered to vote without her knowledge, as a democrat (surprise!). Does she vote? NO. Why? It is illegal. Is she the only one that this has happened to? Delude yourselves as much as you wish, I know better.

Back