• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering upgrade

Hardkor

NAXJA Forum User
Next up for the XJ is upgrading the steering. I have researched various 1 Ton conversions, OTK and UTK.  I am just looking for advice and or opinions on this subject. As an FYI I am planning to install a lift in the near future but have not decided on the height/tire size just yet. I am considering 3.5" w/31" or 4.5" w/33". Both short arm kits probably from RE. I am leaning towards keeping it UTK. Any input to help with the decision would be greatly appreciated. <br/>

If you find a right hand drive wj knuckle as well then you can run true high steer. Hard to find but they are available.

You can but the Ackerman angle goes to crap in a hurry and they have very funky/bad handling characteristics

I'll just say the Currie steering isnt all its kracked up to be, I'd just do ZJ tie rod from the Junk yard... you can replace it on the cheap. Junkyard upgrades for the win.

Also: Do a search on the Dodge durango steering box if you havnt already. Might be something to put on the list.

I'll just say the Currie steering isnt all its kracked up to be, I'd just do ZJ tie rod from the Junk yard... you can replace it on the cheap. Junkyard upgrades for the win.

Also: Do a search on the Dodge durango steering box if you havnt already. Might be something to put on the list.

x2 on tie rods even new from AutoZone all new under $100 or mine was.

I have decided to do the ZJ upgrade for right now and the WJ knuckle swap a little later.

My reasoning I'd the ZJ parts are cheap even if I buy them new and it's a bolt on upgrade until I can gather the parts to complete the knuckle swap.

The stock tierods are worn out and need to be replaced asap and if I am going to put new parts on it I might as well upgrade.

I would like to just do the knuckle swap and be done but I am limited on time and funds are tight at the moment. Besides I just replaced all four ball joints and both hub bearings. Might as well get some mileage out of them. I wouldn't have changed any of that had I known about the knuckle swap before hand. Live and learn...

I had seen a post about the Durango steering box upgrade but didn't research any further yet. Is there a particular year Durango and do I need the Durango pump too?

i'd use a YJ box instead. same piston size so you don't lose steering speed, and fixed ratio for faster turning on the trail.

i didn't like my durango box.

I'm running a YJ/Waggy box without assist on 42's. To much bs for a Durango box plus you get a 4th mounting bolt

You don't need assist on 33s.

You don't need an upgraded steering box on 33s.

You can certainly run your stock brake setup on 33s as long as you have a dual diaphragm booster. It won't be anything to write home about, but if you get decent pads/rotors and rear disc you'll be ok.

I'd run the ZJ tie rod for now and save up for the WJ setup. It's the best bang for the buck.

You don't need assist on 33s.

You don't need an upgraded steering box on 33s.

You can certainly run your stock brake setup on 33s as long as you have a dual diaphragm booster. It won't be anything to write home about, but if you get decent pads/rotors and rear disc you'll be ok.

I'd run the ZJ tie rod for now and save up for the WJ setup. It's the best bang for the buck.

troof. i had no problems with good quality parts with the 10" d44 drums out back on 33s... better for burnouts too.

I really like my WJ set up, worth the money if you can weld. I have the stock box and pump, and the steering feels strong.

Save up and do it. But as another heads up you'll want at least a 16" wheel for the WJ swap to clear the calipers.

Re: Re: Steering upgrade

I really like my WJ set up, worth the money if you can weld. I have the stock box and pump, and the steering feels strong.

Save up and do it. But as another heads up you'll want at least a 16" wheel for the WJ swap to clear the calipers.
I thought I read that 15x8 w/3.5" bs would work too?

I had 15 x 8 with 4 or 4.5" BS (can't remember) and it cleared. I think I had to do a bit of grinding on the calipers but that was it. Nothing major.

Cool. Installing ZJ upgrade this weekend; parts costing $100. I have a good hook up at a parts store. Then I'll start collecting parts for the swap/steering upgrade/lift w/wheels and tires.

I had 15 x 8 with 4 or 4.5" BS (can't remember) and it cleared. I think I had to do a bit of grinding on the calipers but that was it. Nothing major.

Yeah a 15" wheel will clear if you grind some meat off the caliper, also depends on what you do for TRE as well.

Back