• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering interference Issues

emsanford

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

Finally after a long while away from the XJ I decided to dive right back into it and rejoin as a member. I started getting back into the XJ and have addressed a lot of issues that made me almost want to junk it. Broken I-6 (250,000 mi) and after years of wheeling it since high school I developed all kind of stress fractures. We (Eric and Marc) recently started addressing this by beginning to plate the frame rails and most importantly the steering box area which now closely mimics the C-Rok kit and beyond by continuing into the 3x3 3/16” angle covering the rails from the front door to rear both pass and drive side. Constructed a double sheer upper trac bar mount among other things. I feel we have laid a good starting point for cage attachment points. I want to finish plating and boxing the existing stock frame rails. I’ll try to post pictures or have a URL at the end of this thread so all can see. It might take an attempt or two since I’m new to the forums again.

But my biggest concern now is the steering situation. Where the tie rod and drag link meet at TRE joint is contacting and rubbing with the steering stabilizer bolt on the stock d30r mounting brackets. I don’t know if anyone else has had this issue and how it may be related to poor castor angles or related to the suspension lift in some manor. It is at about five in" lift with Clayton long arms. I’ll list the rest of the specs at the end of the thread. Anyways I’m hoping for your guys general input. I really just want to get it out and wheel it because it has just been way too long and I miss it. I do have a front d44r out of a bronco that has the removable radius arm stuff that I want to build eventually just not now. When I do build the front d44 I would also want to build a rear 9" (hopefully I can move the rear OX to this front d44). However like I said I want to run what I have now. So what are my options to fix this issue? Would a tie rod flip give me the clearance I'm looking for on the front d30r? If It did would I have issues keeping my stock trac bar angles parallel with the drag link to prevent bump steer? I’ve been away so long I don’t know what my current options are. I just don’t know hope yall can help.

I know it is horribly out of alignment and the tie rod is bent somewhat. I also know that my inspection guy will not pass it with the steering touching the stabilizer bolt for fear of binding. Please help me get her back on the road registration and all is good just itching to be behind that jeep wheel again.

Specs: 95 4dr XJ, d30r 4.56 gears Detroit true-trac, rear 87 XJ d44 4.56 OX locker, rear TSM brake conversion (ahh), 35” BFG muds, 250,000 mi with 50,000 mi I-6 4.0, have and will install Brett M. AW4 shift kit, Rustys recently refenagled spring pack, and my first lift Trail Master front coils with 3" worth of spacers, that’s all I can think of now.

Thanks,

Marc

1129081459.jpg

1129081459a.jpg

1129081500.jpg

1129081501.jpg

1129081502.jpg

1129081503.jpg

1129081503a.jpg

1129081504.jpg

1129081504a.jpg

1129081505.jpg

1129081505a.jpg

1129081505b.jpg

1129081506.jpg

Hi all,

Finally after a long while away from the XJ I decided to dive right back into it and rejoin as a member. I started getting back into the XJ and have addressed a lot of issues that made me almost want to junk it. Broken I-6 (250,000 mi) and after years of wheeling it since high school I developed all kind of stress fractures. We (Eric and Marc) recently started addressing this by beginning to plate the frame rails and most importantly the steering box area which now closely mimics the C-Rok kit and beyond by continuing into the 3x3 3/16” angle covering the rails from the front door to rear both pass and drive side. Constructed a double sheer upper trac bar mount among other things. I feel we have laid a good starting point for cage attachment points. I want to finish plating and boxing the existing stock frame rails. I’ll try to post pictures or have a URL at the end of this thread so all can see. It might take an attempt or two since I’m new to the forums again.

But my biggest concern now is the steering situation.

Where the tie rod and drag link meet at TRE joint is contacting and rubbing with the steering stabilizer bolt on the stock d30r mounting brackets.

So what are my options to fix this issue? Would a tie rod flip give me the clearance I'm looking for on the front d30r? If It did would I have issues keeping my stock trac bar angles parallel with the drag link to prevent bump steer? I’ve been away so long I don’t know what my current options are. I just don’t know hope yall can help.

I know it is horribly out of alignment and the tie rod is bent somewhat. I also know that my inspection guy will not pass it with the steering touching the stabilizer bolt for fear of binding. Please help me get her back on the road registration and all is good just itching to be behind that jeep wheel again.

Specs: 95 4dr XJ, d30r 4.56 gears Detroit true-trac, rear 87 XJ d44 4.56 OX locker, rear TSM brake conversion (ahh), 35” BFG muds, 250,000 mi with 50,000 mi I-6 4.0, have and will install Brett M. AW4 shift kit, Rustys recently refenagled spring pack, and my first lift Trail Master front coils with 3" worth of spacers, that’s all I can think of now.

Thanks,

Marc

Is it rubbing just when turned or when pointing straight ahead?

With the longarms, is your front axle pushed forward much over stock?

Which steering is that, stock?

Can you remove the steering stabilizer?

It is rubbing full XXXX both left and right! I have friends running different lifts heights with similar problems with this issue and it is ok with them. I find this unacceptable. I want to address the issue. I would hope to hear that Im not the only one have the problem. I would think the steering geometry would have only soo much adjustment as the lift increases it would naturally migrate closer to axle bracketry. Am i wrong?

It is rubbing full XXXX both left and right! I have friends running different lifts heights with similar problems with this issue and it is ok with them. I find this unacceptable. I want to address the issue. I would hope to hear that Im not the only one have the problem. I would think the steering geometry would have only soo much adjustment as the lift increases it would naturally migrate closer to axle bracketry. Am i wrong?

xxxx?

This problem is VERY common with the inverted-Y steerring linkages. I imagine you might have caused it to be a bit worse with the long arms possibly being adjusted to put the axle a bit farther forward than stock but for the most part, just doing the lift brings the drag link closer to the sway bar link and causes the rubbing you're seeing on both the disconnect and the stabilizer shock.

Personally, I think your rig is now too tall for that traditional steering design anyway - time to look at other steering linkage options.

I can't tell for sure, but it looks like you have JKS adjustable disconnects - adjust 'em! You need to get rid of those sway bar drop brackets and get that bar sitting tucked up farther out of the way. It's hanging down way too far as it is.

Thanks for the input so far. Phil I think I tried when installed Claytons arms to keep the axle within Claytons specifications. I can see how this would affect the steering. Are there measurement points that I can check where it is now compared to stock? I think it rubbing the most when turned all the way either left or right but am unsure. Yellaheap I will take your recommendations into consideration for the sway bar I'm unsure as to why I kept the drop brackets. I do agree that the inverted Y is outdated for my lift and set up and want to change but my biggest question is what you guys would recommend I do short of building my d44 for right now taking into consideration cost for a d30r I will be getting rid of. Like I said I've been away from NAXJA and my jeep for a while. I remember there being a tie rod flip kit available but don't know if it will solve my problems. Other than that spending alot of moola on other steering systems that I probably could not move over to the front d44. Oh, outside of the steering I don't see any reason I couldn't move my rear d44 OX to the front d44 when I build it. Am I wrong?

Thanks

cut the crap off and change steering design? or just cut the steering stabilizer junk off and relocate it somewhere else on the axle tube....

I'm still looking for some low buck ideas for the d30. I don't want to put alot of moolah into it since I will be building a d44. I just want to wheel. I saw in the latest 4wheeler that Off Road Only (ORO) sells I nice steering kit cross over like however retains the low mounting points for the tie rod. Called they want 450 and some. Thats too salty for me or the d30. What are some other options? Thanks

if you get a drop down pitman arm it will push your steering linkage back to the stock geometry and will stop rubing everywhere. but the best thing to do is to just get an after market steering set up

Talked to a local MD offroad shop specializing in every thing Jeep. They are not fans of the ORO kit saying they have replaced alot of them with the Currie steering system. Need to look into it more. The Currie does not have any built in adjustments for my interference problem where the ORO has a 15 degree bend in the drag link to address the issue. Maybe a drop pit man arm (Griz) in combination with the Currie kit is what I'm looking for? Thanks

Back