• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Geometry

I appreciate all the responses, Im going to go ahead and swap the bar back to the stock location, I have RE control arms and drop brackets coming this week so between the two something should improve. Then to try to do something about the god-awful ride of leaf springs....Im starting to miss my Rubi...:/

Dirt101 said:
I appreciate all the responses, Im going to go ahead and swap the bar back to the stock location, I have RE control arms and drop brackets coming this week so between the two something should improve. Then to try to do something about the god-awful ride of leaf springs....Im starting to miss my Rubi...:/

Only do one mod at a time. Otherwise you'll never know what the problem was.

scorpio_vette said:
... and i don't really see a problem with his control arms being the "bigger culprit".
while i'm not saying they are perfect, i'm saying that loose/worn or incorrect parts will cause bigger problems than short arms.

my XJ sits on 5" lift with currie lower arms and stock uppers, and i've had various vibs/bumps for a while. turns out the hole in my passenger knuckle where the draglink connects was starting to wear out and the tie rod end was bad. my inner driver tie rod end was bad. both of my hubs were bad, and i had a bad control arm bushing.
guess what happened when i fixed all of that??? no more problems.
loose parts are never a good deal, but that has nothing to do with steering geometry or bumpsteer

Dirt101 said:

I was about to suggest drop brackets... They do wonders for the ride! As far as the tracbar goes... When you remove the bolt that holds the trcbar from the factory... be careful as it WILL break off! Mine did. Luckily I didn't plan on using it anyways. If you break the bolt it is nearly impossible to remove that flag nut with any length of bolt still in it. Soak it with PB for a while~

Ive hit it with PB the last couple days, anymore I just expect them to snap...Im anxious to get the drop brackets on to help with the ride. Not to get off topic but Ive been chasing a clunk from the rearend for a couple weeks...not the bar pins as I have BPE's, it still has the stock shackles with 4.5" packs, u bolts are tight, all the eye bolts seem tight. Next week I plan to remove one of the leaves, not sure which one yet, maybe the very bottom short one??.... to help with the ride and I got 3/4" shackles to help offset the loss in height....allegedly...again thanks for all the help.

Back