• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starts fine, drives fine, bucks, sputters and dies randomly?

its a simple resistance test. an auto parts store would know exactly where. thats how i found out mine was bad. but im sure someone on here knows the method.

Cool. I'll check the FSM. Easier to ask the crowd first, though. Usually more precise, too. The FSM isn't always very clear.

You can remove a plug, plug it into the plug wire, ground the plug and crank over the engine. Must be a blue spark, not orange. Could also just get a used one from the JY and try it.

Having the exact same issue with my '95 which has the 4.0 HO.

Dies every few minutes but then starts right back up. I do have a new coil in box for it, guess I could try swapping it out & see what happens....

:(

Well, I haven't driven the heep a TON lately, but simply adjusting the old TPS seems to have done the trick. It still stumbles a little bit when cold, but once warmed up, it seems to be running fine No dying cold anymore either. As long as it keeps up this way, I'll swap in the brand new TPS and call it good.

Cold weather problems could be a sign that one of the temperature sensor is going bad. The CTS and IAT, coolant and air intake temperature sensors. They can be tested with a $10 ohm meter cold and hot (boiling water and ice water) and compared to the FSM specs.

You can remove a plug, plug it into the plug wire, ground the plug and crank over the engine. Must be a blue spark, not orange. Could also just get a used one from the JY and try it.

Has anyone had any luck finding Renix IAT sensors this year that you know of?

Cold weather problems could be a sign that one of the temperature sensor is going bad. The CTS and IAT, coolant and air intake temperature sensors. They can be tested with a $10 ohm meter cold and hot (boiling water and ice water) and compared to the FSM specs.

Cold engine, not cold weather. Air temp doesn't seem like it matters much, but maybe a little.

Haven't been looking when at the JY cuz I'm usually "on a mission".
I'll add that to my JY list along with rubber radiator mounts and scrounge what I can.

I was referring to new ones, not JY.

Cold engine, not cold weather. Air temp doesn't seem like it matters much, but maybe a little.

And the difference is???? NONE!!! As the intake manifold heats up, it preheats the intake air to the engine!!!!!

Personally I do not use, used parts at all if I can get new ones for $10-$20, not worth the effort to me.. except maybe an expensive body panel, bumper. There are exceptions, but when I fix something, I go to brand new parts as a rule!

If new ones are no longer made, and I get desperate, then I might use a known good used one. Somebody here was looking for one 2-3 months ago, and asked again a week or 2 ago, and so far no one had found the Renix ones anywhere including me.

But right now might be a good time to start grabbing them as spares in case we never see new ones again?:eek:

that "someone" was me, and I haven't seen any available in the aftermarket in about a year-- not needing one now, but still looking for a spare. I tested my last spare, only to find out it was junk..... now I can't sleep 'til I find a replacement spare.:looney:

I checked again recently and still can not find any on the internet that look right.

And the difference is???? NONE!!! As the intake manifold heats up, it preheats the intake air to the engine!!!!!

I'd tend to disagree... colder it is, the longer it takes for the manifold to heat up. It makes a bit of difference, especially when my hot air line is disconnected.

im having some what of the same problem with my jeep two days ago i was driving to work and it started bucking and sputtering and then at the stop light it died i had two buddies with me so we pushed and i got it bump started and we drove maybe 5 miles and it start acting up again so we pulled over let it sit and it started up again so we drove again and got about 4 miles from work and it died again this time it wouldnt start at all ive done a few test i have taken a jumper wire from the plug straight to the battery and the pump kicks on and i have checked the wires going into the fuel pump relay and they have power not sure what else to check what do you guys think might be the problem

im having some what of the same problem with my jeep two days ago i was driving to work and it started bucking and sputtering and then at the stop light it died i had two buddies with me so we pushed and i got it bump started and we drove maybe 5 miles and it start acting up again so we pulled over let it sit and it started up again so we drove again and got about 4 miles from work and it died again this time it wouldnt start at all ive done a few test i have taken a jumper wire from the plug straight to the battery and the pump kicks on and i have checked the wires going into the fuel pump relay and they have power not sure what else to check what do you guys think might be the problem

Yours sounds like it could be the CPS.

so I was wrong... my problem is still there. it didn't buck this time, but the RPM's dropped sharply while at idle, a few times, and randomly but within 30 seconds or so.

It happened on a low tank, but it's happened full, as well. It's almost acting as though it's sucking air into the fuel line.

It seems, also, that my fuel pump is noisier than usual...

Back