• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starting Problems

Elwarpo

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 88 Laredo (4L 5Spd), and when I go to start it, either nothing happens (absolutely nothing...no starter, fuel pump...) or it cranks and won't catch. New starter (2nd new one thought the first new starter was the problem), good battery and new battery cables.

I have done some searches here and think it may be the clutch interlock, but not sure if an 88 has one. Where would it be?

Any other possibilities?

The vehicle has not been driven in about 6 months because of this problem, but is an oldie but a goody, and I want to keep her running.

Thanks alot

Mike

My '88 limiter auto did the same thing. Clean or replace your neutral starter switch. That allowed mine to crank. If your cps is bad then it will crank but not fire. good luck!

The 1988 5-speed does not have a neutral safety switch, and it does not have a clutch peddle interlock.

The problem is more likely in the ignition switch itself -- the one under the dash at the base of the steering column, not the lock where you put the key in.

Back