• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

spring rates...corner loads...coilovers

Goatman said:
Any more details?

I've found that it's virtually impossible to compare what spring rates others are runnng without knowing stuff like ride height, transition point, and a little more about how it feels in various situations.

You have a 154 lb/in primary rate, and I think you have quite a bit of lift. How does that feel around corners and on side hills? How does it stuff with the 400 lb rate, all the way? Bumpstops set low or to allow full spring/shock compression?

Thanks,
Bumpstops? I heard about them but never got one installed :laugh3: First time i thought they would be too stiff but they are not. I'm sitting at about 14" Lift and i can use nearly the complete travel of the shocks.

Without weight the coils are mounted so they do not put any power on the extended shock. I got about 6" droop and 8" compression travel. Here is a pic that shows the sidehilling ability, it's not that bad and it got better now since i installed a rear center limiting strap that helps to prevent the rear from unloading.
abu.sized.jpg

The rear is a bit too soft with the TJ rear coils, they will be replaced with coilovers too in the future.
asd.sized.jpg

In this picture at full stuff there is about 1/2" travel left on the shock and that is with about the whole weight up front on it.

So far i'm really happy with the choice of coils (250/400) in front. I decided for the stiffest valving Bilstein offers (360/80) for the 9100 Rockcrawlers. For the rear a lighter valving (255/100) and a coil combo of 150/250 is planned.

More pics of the coilover swap --> http://www.jeepcherokee.org/modules...ame=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Last edited:
www.raceshock.com

602-493-3700

This guy knows more about coil-overs, spring rates, and shock valves than any one I've ever met, he can talk just about spring rate combos for HOURS!
Give this guy a call.

jpnjason said:
www.raceshock.com

602-493-3700

This guy knows more about coil-overs, spring rates, and shock valves than any one I've ever met, he can talk just about spring rate combos for HOURS!
Give this guy a call.

Thanks, Jason. Goat1 from Pirate, Drew, lives near me and I've talked to him about it a couple of times. He's worked on my Big Bore SAW's, and will work on the valving on my coilovers if they need it. A good guy.....and knows his stuff.

I've learned the most from charting various combinations of springs, with and without helper springs. I'm getting there....about as far as I can go without actually getting them on and seeing how they feel.

Back