• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spring over axle and front coil spacers.

Want to go cheap? Search for used coils locally and search on here using bastard pack for search terms.

Yes, Alcan is good, b/c they will custom make whatever you want...

RE uses high spring rates I believe...? springs give more than advertised lift and I've rarely heard of them sagging - however...they also are stiffer than normal. its a give take thing though...I cant load a ton of weight on my OME springs - i'm even leery about putting a winch and bumper on the front...

Like I said before, I have heard good things about Rusty's leafs, and some of his armor, but other than that...not much.

Old Man Emu for ride quality.... RE's products are designed to be ran on a fully outfitted rig.. Rear bumper/tire carrier, winch bumper/winch, etc.

As for Rusty's leafs... I've never heard anything good about them either..

Best bet is to shop around and buy used.. As you'll soon realize once you start you can't stop and upgrading is just part of it... so people change parts just about as frequently as they change clothes...

Edit: IF ride quality is your primary concern I'd sell the XJ and buy a Honda..

JNickel101 said:
He wants a great on road ride...why do people keep bringing up rustys, RC and RE?

I've heard that rusty's leafs are ok....dont know about coils....

Track bar, tie rod, control arms - all i've seen broken. from a friend who had a full rusty's kit that went to shit on him "rusty shouldnt be allowed to sell any part that is supposed to 'move'"

I like some of his armor, however....I tried to use one of his cross members, and it didnt line up right - none of the bolt holes were drilled properly. but it did have a nice powdercoat finish!

he rips you off on shipping too. and if you mistakenly select "express shipping" and then call him and say I want to change the shipping option, you get "oh that item already shipped, we can't change the shipping method..."

this was about 2 minutes after i ordered the item - so i tried to cancel the order, and got the same "cant cancel, item shipped already"

so i decided to take it in the @ss, got the part, and it didnt even fit! so i was left with a rather expensive paperweight.

Not everyone has had bad experiences with Rusty's!! Granted some of his parts have failed but I have seen others fail too!! Rusty's has been over bashed in my opinion. I have yet to see anything with good shipping costs!!!!!! Shipping is a ripoff period and not just for the consumer! As far as parts not fitting perfectly PLEASE!! How old is your heep? How hard do you bash it? Mistakes are made in the manufacturing process sometimes AND if that is the case it should be replaced!!

uncc civilengineer said:
Old Man Emu for ride quality.... RE's products are designed to be ran on a fully outfitted rig.. Rear bumper/tire carrier, winch bumper/winch, etc.

As for Rusty's leafs... I've never heard anything good about them either..

Best bet is to shop around and buy used.. As you'll soon realize once you start you can't stop and upgrading is just part of it... so people change parts just about as frequently as they change clothes...

Edit: IF ride quality is your primary concern I'd sell the XJ and buy a Honda..

Yeah and you do not belong on this forum either................

Rusty's springs GREAT flex!! Just buy quality shocks!!!!!!!

massscene said:
LoL you think just because you lift your rig it wont be tolerable to drive on the street. So you must have a honda.

He said nothing about tolerable, he said rides nice or something to that extent. Everyones idea about what a good ride is is different, you might want it to drive like a caddi some people dont care bc its a jeep its not supposed to ride nice.

-Alex

He said budget lift. $1000 He cant get tires and 3.5 or 4.5 for a grand. Like someone above said stay minimum. spacers, small block, ubolt elim. You cant do alot when you put the tires into the price.

To give you an idea, on my first XJ I did 3" lift with Pro Comp M/T 31x10.50's on black steelies, all brand new, for $1,000 even. BUT, that was with AAL's (not the best ride and they eventually sag).

ColoradoRaptor said:
Yeah and you do not belong on this forum either................

Rusty's springs GREAT flex!! Just buy quality shocks!!!!!!!
I'm a bit confused. He doesn't belong on the forum because of the proven fact that IF, and he said IF ride quality is the most important factor then get a car.

As for the second part of your comment..

Good shocks do not enhance your flex. Maybe, and I hope, you're refering back to the ride quality issue..

UNCC is one of the most vital members of this forum and quite frankly I think he deserves a little more of you respect than that.

:us:

Up until 2 days ago I was all for Rusty.... After that, from now on, there will be nothing but bad stuff out of my mouth about Rusty himself... That lyin **************************************************.

Spring's aren't bad tho... it's the onlything outsourced so what do you expect.

I can't imagine any suspension company having their own spring factory...I'll bet they are all outsourced...as far as ride goes...one man's comfy ride is another man's mushy ride and a third man's brutally stiff ride....as said, most suspension kits assume you will be adding heavy accessories...without them the ride will be stiffer and in some cases very stiff...you face a couple of options...a short arm kit that is inexpensive....a short arm kit with drop brackets...and a long arm kit of some variety or another....it goes from really cheap (used parts...hell I have a set of AAL brand new and a set of RC fixed lowers I will give you for free if you pay the shipping) to extremely expensive.

I like a world where my beer is cold, my women soft, and my HEEP tall and firm...my current GF won't ride in the MJ....and my previous GF loved it...I just make sure I wear my belts when i'm in the rough. Damn I hate mushy wallowy, vague steering rides...

Lowrange2, what happened in the last 2 days?

ColoradoRaptor said:
Not everyone has had bad experiences with Rusty's!! Granted some of his parts have failed but I have seen others fail too!! Rusty's has been over bashed in my opinion. I have yet to see anything with good shipping costs!!!!!! Shipping is a ripoff period and not just for the consumer! As far as parts not fitting perfectly PLEASE!! How old is your heep? How hard do you bash it? Mistakes are made in the manufacturing process sometimes AND if that is the case it should be replaced!!

its a 2000 that's never been "bashed" - he's babied.

I think he failed to print on his page that its for a 96/under XJ, or it needs the older style mount, b/c my buddy fit it up on his no problem (93 or 94). My beef was more with the whole order/shipping process. His shipping prices are WAY worse than anywhere else I've ever seen.

The best (at standard rates without raping you to make a markup from it) shipping I have ever had as far as getting the order out and on the way PROMPTLY is from.....who would guess...Rough Country. Not once, not twice, but consistently.

well i just ordered the cheapy 3 inch aal kit directly from rough country.
I plan on running this setup with 31's. Because this is my first lifted setup I wanted to go mild and cheap just on the off chance I really dont enjoy offroading as much as I did with my stock zr2 s10. Over the next year if things go as planned I will be adding lockers and armor. Once I have learned technique and ability to the point where I have outgrown my current setup then I will scrap most of the 3 incher and go bigger on lift and tires.

Back