• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sound System Setup

xjkid

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a new 96' Cherokee 4dr 4x4 sport, and I want to put my stereo system in it. I have a pair of 5 1/4" 2-way pioneers, I have a pair of 6x9" 3-way pioneers in boxes, and I have a 12" Rockford Fosgate and amp in a box, and then a pioneer head unit with three preamp outputs. So My question is what would be the best way to hook all that stuff without replacing the stock speakers? I don't really have the time to replace everything, and I don't want to pay for it to be done. I've thought about running a new tri-mode amp to the 6x9's and the sub, but I'm not sure what the best would be. Should I take the time to put the 5 1/4's in the front doors, and then rig something up in the back with all the other stuff. Is it terribly hard to install the speakers in the front doors or in the roof rack in the back? Also, my sub and box are pretty big, do you guys have any other space saving alternatives with different subs that are cheap (I'm a poor college kid). So that is what I've got, and I'm just trying to figure out the easiest way to get the best sound while saving space time and money.

a new head unit will just end up destroying the stock speakers. Replace the speakers through out your car with 5-1/4s run an amp to the subs and run an lower power amp to the 6x9s. thats the easiest way i can think of.

Door and rear roof installation is a piece of cake. Put some 6.5's up front. You'll appreciate it later. No cutting is required on the door. At least not on my 98. ANd I think 6.5's will also fit in the rear roof. But I replaced them with 5.25's.

I put a set of 5-1/4 infinitys in the rear 'sound bar'. I have to say its pretty disapointing, they are too small , too far back and the enclosure is too small for any bass at all. If you can sacrifice the room for 6x9s in boxes and a sub then do it and bag the roof bar. (personally I cant give up any space so I live with it..)

What about riggin' somethin' up in the back where my 6x9 boxes hang from the sound bar and are powered by the head unit (which sounds fine, because I've powered them from the head unit before, and I just get bass from my sub). Would that work, or would it be too heavy or awkward?

Alright I guess I'll post. A new head unit will not "destroy the oem speakers". If you want to use what you have, throw the 5-1/4 in the doors, spring for some dynamat. 6x9's hanging from the sound bar? as in mount the boxes to the sondbar? I would not recomend this. Either private message me and I will give you a write up on how I would modify the rear speaker bar to fit your 6x9s or leave em in the boxes, pu them in the back with them facing toward the front of the jeep. Also just leave your sub amp the way it is and face the sub to to lift gate or face the sub to one of the back corners. Never face the sub fowards or up, Subs always sound best when the face a hard surface in a vehicle. The head unit, just get an adapter and harness- no biggy there.

i can relate to the destruction of the oem speakers! mine are pretty much shot in the back. I would suggest getting some better speakers and an amp. I have two pioneers (can't remember the size, got them on sale at best buy) in the front. Better speakers will help. Just not sony!!! they live up to the "xplode" name!

Alright, thanks man. I think I'll just put my 5 1/4's in the front doors, and I might get some for the sound bar as well. I'll probably run an amp to the 6x9's and probably a separate amp to my sub. I'll let you know what I end up doing when I have the time and money to do it.

i have 6 1/2 in my front doors and you dont even have to really take the door pannels off if you can slip them in there. i also have to 6x9s in the back in boxes running off my head unit. just extend the wires fron the soundbar. i also have 3 12inch rockfords with 2400 watts. and its true face the subs away from you and against the hatch or the corners.

Thanks for the advice! I think I'll just throw my 5.25's in my front doors, and my 6x9's off my head unit by extending the speaker wire from the sound bar. Did you pin it or run it along the side of the back wall?? What did you use for that?

putting in new speakers in the front doors its very easy man. you dont really even need to take off the door pannel but its nice to give yourself a little extra room. if you are swaping out the stock 5 1/4 for an aftermarket 5 1/4 then it will screw right to the same holes. the only thing you will need to do is cut the wireharness off of the wires that is for the stock speakers.

for me i have 6.5's components in my front doors and 6.5 coaxials in my rear doors. they are both mb quarts which are oversized so i cut a lot up front to get them to fit and made some hold in the rear doors. i also have 3 12" alipnes as well. im powering them all with phoenix gold 1200.1 for the subs which is pushing about 2000 and an ma audio 597 for the doors. the ma audio is pushing about 100 rms to each door speaker. now everyone says that you should fire the subs away from you and all and if you look at mine, they are fired towards me but i have to do that because just how my set up is i flex my rear hatch about an 1inch and i dont want to have to be replacing windows and stuff.

What exactly do you have to do to get the 5.25's in the front doors without taking off the whole panel???

don't put 6x9's in the sound bar. get rid of the 6x9's and get 6 1/2 go to auto zone get a window crank removal tool and take off the doors, put the 6 1/2's in then replace the sound bar speakers with the 5 1/4... not hard. then get an amp kit and install your amp for your woofer. also get the right kit and harness for the stereo from like best buy and the speaker harnesses as well. part will cost about 40 or 50 bucks. but hacking wire up will cost more in the end, do it right the first time. Take the doors apart too, it's not hard I did it as an installer for 6 years
blackash

I'm more than please with my audio set up in my 99. Infinity 5 1/4" components up front, and Infinity 2-way 5 1/4's in the rear, powered by an MTX MXA4004 amp. For bass I have a Audiobahn 1251T DVC sub in a custom fiberglass enclosure/pannel I designed to replace the "pocket" in the passenger side rear of the cargo area. Color matched and textured it to the interior pannels. The sub is powered by an MTX MXA4001 amp, just a little over 450 watts at 2 ohms. Both amps are mounted under my rear seat, but had to relocate my jack to inside/behind the spare tire. Not a big bass machine, bit suprising with such a small enclosure. I'm also using an older Eclipse headunit and have a Kenwood "plug-n-play" Sirius tuner mounted in the glove box. Tried my best to keep the entire install as stealth as possible.

I am using a Pioneer deck and 6.5 inch speakers in the front doors (had to open the metal up some) and home built speaker boxes in the rear quarter panels (6x9 speakers). The system puts out plently of thump. I sealed up the rear 1/4's anf all four doors. Used some dynamat under the hood and in the two front doors. I want to add more as I go along. I think I will use the Tsunami extreme matting this time as you get twice as much for half the price. I used some foam in the rear hatch and it has taken out some noise. I will put some 6.5's in the hatch next month. Then use an amp and tie the speakers using a 4 way amp.

Got to run... family calls.

Back