• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Some recent 4.0L turbo fabrication work...

Bryson said:
Damn! I honestly didn't know they had such low egt's at idle! I would have thought the opposite with the ubber high compression ratio's. I wonder if it has to do with the very high fuel pressures required with diesel fuel?

But I agree, thats another good point. :D

Sorry It took so long to respond.

Like another post mentioned above a diesel has no throttle blade, they use fuel to regulate power. A diesel at idle is flowing alot of air because there is no closed blade, they also don't have vaccuum either for the same reason. So you have a very very small amount of fuel at idle and alot of air.

EGT and boost guages should be a must on any diesel no matter if its stock or not. They are just plain interesting to watch. When I put guages in my frist diesel truck(99 Ram) I was amazed at how low the EGT was and how much boost it held under normal driving, 3-4 psi on the highway and about 700*. Pulling about 10K at 75 with the cruise on its more like 15psi all the time which was so wierd to me for awhile.

Its actually pretty tough for a stockish diesel to get EGT like a gasser. My old truck had a 65hp module in it. On a 100* day with a cab full of people, enclosed trailer with a car and tools etc, and a bed full of coolers and race crap I could make mine get to 1300. Thats from a dead stop on an on ramp and running WOT to about 85mph and thats about 18K of total wieght. Modified is a different story, a friend of mines 95 can slam the gauge so hard on 2000*(in 3rd gear) you can almost hear the needle hit, also about 45ishlbs of boost :D.

OK sorry back on topic. Turbo kits are looking pretty nice :). Its to bad the hood clearance is so damn tight because it would be nice to be able to smooth the inlet into the TB. I don't think it would make that huge of a difference anyways. Keep up the work.

Last edited:
BlueCuda said:
Sorry It took so long to respond.

Like another post mentioned above a diesel has no throttle blade, they use fuel to regulate power. A diesel at idle is flowing alot of air because there is no closed blade, they also don't have vaccuum either for the same reason. So you have a very very small amount of fuel at idle and alot of air.

EGT and boost guages should be a must on any diesel no matter if its stock or not. They are just plain interesting to watch. When I put guages in my frist diesel truck(99 Ram) I was amazed at how low the EGT was and how much boost it held under normal driving, 3-4 psi on the highway and about 700*. Pulling about 10K at 75 with the cruise on its more like 15psi all the time which was so wierd to me for awhile.

Its actually pretty tough for a stockish diesel to get EGT like a gasser. My old truck had a 65hp module in it. On a 100* day with a cab full of people, enclosed trailer with a car and tools etc, and a bed full of coolers and race crap I could make mine get to 1300. Thats from a dead stop on an on ramp and running WOT to about 85mph and thats about 18K of total wieght. Modified is a different story, a friend of mines 95 can slam the gauge so hard on 2000*(in 3rd gear) you can almost hear the needle hit, also about 45ishlbs of boost :D.

OK sorry back on topic. Turbo kits are looking pretty nice :). Its to bad the hood clearance is so damn tight because it would be nice to be able to smooth the inlet into the TB. I don't think it would make that huge of a difference anyways. Keep up the work.

Thanks! the hood clearance is actually more than enough. The pic unfortunetly is a little misleading, because there will be a nice 90 deg coupler going into the TB. I've had a lot harsher angles on other cars.

And BTW...Complete kits are now available! :lickout:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=334932

How much would you charge without the meth injection kit if we wanted to run at a lower boost? Im not sure how much it adds to the price but itd be nice if it was a little cheaper.

Bryson, while your work is both interesting and somewhat unique, I'd REALLY like to see you become a member and a sponsor of NAXJA before you peddle too hard (and even if you don't). I think tech write-ups are good, but look at the class AJs Armor exhibits when discussing cost and availabiltiy of goods in his posts. He doesn't. He takes it back-channel as soon as someone wants specifics on his goods.

SCW said:
Bryson, while your work is both interesting and somewhat unique, I'd REALLY like to see you become a member and a sponsor of NAXJA before you peddle too hard (and even if you don't). I think tech write-ups are good, but look at the class AJs Armor exhibits when discussing cost and availabiltiy of goods in his posts. He doesn't. He takes it back-channel as soon as someone wants specifics on his goods.
I'm inclined to agree. I like your work as well Bryson and am interested too, but there are specific rules for vendors on this site.

On another note, what is behind the link you posted to the Jeep Forum. I'm not a member and I'd rather not register there. Would you mind summarizing it for us?

SCW said:

I truely am sorry. I know the rules, but I wasn't expecting this to turn into this. It was mearly to show my recent fab work, but then I started getting questions regarding the kits. I'll register as a sponsor as soon as possible! :)

On another note, what is behind the link you posted to the Jeep Forum. I'm not a member and I'd rather not register there. Would you mind summarizing it for us

Basically just the same pics I hosted. I did post the link to my Vendor thread, but because of rules, I'd rather not discuss details. I guess you could PM me if you like.

Bryson -
I see you're already getting the message, but there should probably be an "official" weighing-in...

No trouble with the tech side of the post - and this is an avenue that isn't often explored. Bravo Zulu on that - since I tend more toward superchargers anyhow, this is something that we'll probably want you to explore further!

On the flipside, tho (here comes the bad part...) Mod Tech isn't the place for commercial pretty damn near anything - I run into this same problem myself. Please do take it backchannel, and it may be worthwhile for you to kick open a free hosting account (like Geocities, for instance) and build a site with a FAQ and an email link.

Alternatively, you can get this worked out some more from a tech angle, and then put up the commercial part in Vendors or something similar.

I'm sure that this is good tech, and it is an avenue that really should be explored - but if the commercial bent keeps going, this thread will probably need to be either locked or deleted. I'd really hate to do that - I'd like to see more of this sort of thing, to be perfectly honest!

For everyone wanting to know more about kit potential, please do keep commercial comms backchannel, via PM or e-mail. It really would help - and I'd like to see this developed rather than cut off!

5-90

Bryson said:
I truely am sorry. I know the rules, but I wasn't expecting this to turn into this. It was mearly to show my recent fab work, but then I started getting questions regarding the kits. I'll register as a sponsor as soon as possible! :)

Basically just the same pics I hosted. I did post the link to my Vendor thread, but because of rules, I'd rather not discuss details. I guess you could PM me if you like.

Thanks, I was really hoping not to turn this into a pissing fight where nobody wins, I don't read JeepForum anymore (nothing wrong with it, I just don't) and I really like having the tech here. I really doubt I'll ever turbo my Heep, but I like to read it anyway. I think by posting a lot of tech and maybe a link in your sig (when you are a member) you will notice that the members/users here will know where to get what you have. For example, Jon (5-90) does battery cables. Ask a question about alternators or battery cables and he doesn't have to toot his own horn about either, the forum members will do it for him everytime a related question comes up.

Again, thanks and keep up the good tech-

So this thread begs the question which is worse: Informative writeups that have some moderate level of "commercial" or advertisement aspect to them?

Or being so super anal sensitive about it that a really good thread was completely killed?

Seriously are we all so wrapped up in worrying about spam that we're killing good threads and not hearing about interesting products?

I know of a certain thread right now that is flurting with "commercial" or "advertisment" because the product is litterally being developed on these forums. However it's specialized enough that not talking about it because it's "commercial" would likely KILL IT ENTIRELY.

As a BUNCH of people who all own the same vehicles, do we REALLY need to hold a "vendor" who makes EXTREMELY specialized products specifically for us, to such ridiculous standards?

And I'm not saying this because I make and sell XJ related stuff as a side gig. Seriously!

Bryson: I know you're still around, have you done any more work on this turbo setup?

thanks I can read dates too :) I searched all I found was your finished manifold picture and no turbo'ed XJ. I'd welcome a link to it if you have one.

well the motor is sittin in my basement, the turbo and been bolted up, it took some additional modifications to the manifold to get to work, i have no pics as of yet.

tealcherokee said:
well the motor is sittin in my basement, the turbo and been bolted up, it took some additional modifications to the manifold to get to work, i have no pics as of yet.

I would just like to say to you and to Bryson GRATE JOB SO FAR!!!!!!
All tho i have no desire for such a project, i can understand........ok my be not, but i can sure appreciate the the frustrating, brain scratching and most of all the DEDICATION that this project has and will require!

Personally i thing this post should go on Just for the sake of those that due now how to us the SEARCH BUTTON in the future. I guess I real shouldn't make that bold, sense I'm not the best at the searches my self:sad1:

Flash

valves float at 5300 rpm, my redline (and rev limiter) is 5000 rpm so thats all set....

here are some pics....

DSC00549.JPG

DSC00550.JPG

DSC00551.JPG

DSC00555.JPG

DSC00556.JPG

DSC00558.JPG

DSC00559.JPG

DSC00560.JPG

DSC00562.JPG

DSC00564.JPG

Cool pics. Noticed the manifold flange had that triangle piece added? Was it hitting something without it? Would it not just worked just angling the flange out differently? Not saying its better that way, just wondering. Does the turbo need to be supported by something else besides the manifold? Seems like it would relieve stress off manifold. I figure yall have also testing it inside a vehicle, how does it fit, close to anything critical? Think the fuel lines need to be moved. I was checking under my vehicle and it seems like things might get a little close. What about the intercooler, im guessing under the bumper?

Back