• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Solderless Elec. connectors

The more electrical I do the more i believe that you should just solder it and be done with it. I have a few wire taps in my Jeep but those just make things super simple.

Wire taps bring the suck.

I prefer to solder things, but having soldered radios and crap into the dash I'm done with that. glue filled heatshrink butt connectors and a good crimp tool haven't failed me yet, and they keep me from burning my fingers upside down under the dash.

For radios I usually gut the old stereo (since I'm pulling it out, it's probably FUBAR) and remove the connector from it, then use it along with a pigtail for the new radio to build an adapter cable.

I HATE hacking up stock wiring harnesses, because I know I'll have to deal with the mess eventually.

Kind of afraid to ask, but I assume you've tried the Bussmann circuit breakers. What was wrong with them?

I have not - but they are something I'd probably take sight unseen. Cooper Bussman makes good stuff!

I'll have to check to see which brands my suppliers carry again. The flipside of the problem is that my price on most of these breakers isn't going to be very cheap, so I'm going to have to put them out for a decent price myself. However, it could end up being cheaper than the ANL fuses I currently offer, if someone is having electrical issues...

I have one of those on the wiring for my stereo amp. It's been mounted to the firewall on the ZJ for over three years with out any problem whatsoever.

IIRC it was bought at Advance Auto.

For radios I usually gut the old stereo (since I'm pulling it out, it's probably FUBAR) and remove the connector from it, then use it along with a pigtail for the new radio to build an adapter cable.

I HATE hacking up stock wiring harnesses, because I know I'll have to deal with the mess eventually.

bump all that. I just go and buy the harness. The one for the 2000 accord I did over the weekend was $8
Buy, rock out with the glue filled connectors to the radio harness that's usually color coded the same, install.

Years ago I used those 3M scotchlock connectors. Had too many bad connections. I solder everything now, followed up by a coat of dielectric grease on the joint then shrink wrap.

Back