• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So what do you guys think??

That piece of aluminum is going to be a trim piece for the back of the cowl to cover up the unsightliness from the cutting.
It will also lengthen the look of the cowl as well which should make it look better. I wonder if I should put 287 on the side
though?

So how does the dual TB work?

It seems to work pretty good actually. The throttle is instantaneous and it feels like I picked
up some power at the mid to top end. It's squirrely in third and sprints to 160 are almost
unnoticeable, probably because I'm trying to keep it straight. Last night I found out I needed
at least a 1/4 tank to do any fun stuff or the gas doesn't reach the pump. The fuel cuts off
on some launches and the corner I did beating a yellow arrow. I didn't think it would noticeable
but it was, I was used to the pull on it but I can feel it harder now just don't know how much.
A friend of mine runs the Sportman class with his Camaro and he's got a good dyno he goes to
and I'm going to make plans to go over there at some point and find out how much power this
is making. Can't wait to do the suspension on this! I just want it to hook.

A friend of mine runs the Sportman class with his Camaro and he's got a good dyno he goes to
and I'm going to make plans to go over there at some point and find out how much power this
is making.
That'll be interesting to see. Do you have a baseline before the TB mods?
Can't wait to do the suspension on this! I just want it to hook.
Don't forget brakes and tires, probably the two biggest things we did to go faster.

Are you planning to stay 4WD? One of the most noticeable things we did was add camber to the front axle to make the Jeep turn-in and handle better, this also made the steering feel far more responsive. If you go to a 2WD axle, you can bent or cut the tube to achieve the camber, or get 2 degree offset balljoints (what we did).

Link to -2 degree ball joint

-Matt

Last edited:
No baseline. The previous setup is also a one off as well. It's probably best just to call stock as a baseline
and compare from there. I didn't have extra money for dyno's so most of it just guessing but downstairs
says that I'm moving faster so the work for the gain is justified. One thing for sure is when I get the cam
redone I'll make sure of a before and after since I'm going to try for more lift and a reshaped chamber to
go with that but that's like a year or so from now.

As for the front, I'm keeping the 4WD. I haven't gone and checked the camber but it is noticeably there standing
in front of it, just don't know how much of it there is. As of this moment it has crazy amount of over-steer and
the power it has makes its worse really I was actually going to go with a much wider tire in the back to try and
cure some of it. I like it but it's a burden when the ground is cold or wet. When the rear gets lowered it should
become more tolerable but even with the weight transfer the stiffer setting may negate that change.

I don't know, I'll find out when I get there. Wheel shopping needs a spot on the list ASAP I have a very
particular taste so I'm not sure what to do, I guess right off the top of my head my best choice ATM are
replica 00' Cobra R wheels. I'll find out when I cross that bridge. I might make a video tomorrow plus some pics.
I hope.

if you have oversteer perhaps you have too much caster. i dialed mine back a little and it made a world of difference.

An appropriate culmination of pixels for viewing nirvana...

hpim1042w.th.jpg
[/URL]

Looks wicked. :thumbup:

First things first, Awesome project! I have never heard/ seen a lowered XJ. Secondly, I saw the pictures of the TB/ Plenum you started out with, (the ford one) How hard was it to modify everything to work on it? I have an extra one laying around from my 4.6L Mustang not doing anything but collecting dust.

(FORGIVE ME PLEASE IF YOU ALREADY WENT OVER IT! I am somewhat new to the Jeep thing!)

It wasn't really hard but there's lots of labour involved. Just to make it worth using a near 3" TB putting it on
I had to get that manifold opening bigger and that needed a bit of planning because I had to make adapters for
the adapters to bolt it all together. For a later model it could be easier if you have a horseshoe style intake
merely opening the manifold and making a single adapter for the TB and TPS but none of it is a overnight thing.
You have to figure out brackets, linkages, ratio's to those linkages, some electrical is involved.

If you're capable then you can sit down and take some time to think about it to see if it's worth it. In all honesty
it's probably not worth it if it's still remotely stock unless of course you have a raging hanker for throttle response,
or just do it for the hell of it.

These projects was more for me rather than for the Jeep really, I wanted to see what I could do and expand my
skill set. I still have my old intake I might go and make another revised version and figure out some other things
I may have missed. Hopefully this answers your question.

No baseline. The previous setup is also a one off as well. It's probably best just to call stock as a baseline
and compare from there. I didn't have extra money for dyno's so most of it just guessing but downstairs
says that I'm moving faster so the work for the gain is justified. One thing for sure is when I get the cam
redone I'll make sure of a before and after since I'm going to try for more lift and a reshaped chamber to
go with that but that's like a year or so from now.

As for the front, I'm keeping the 4WD. I haven't gone and checked the camber but it is noticeably there standing
in front of it, just don't know how much of it there is. As of this moment it has crazy amount of over-steer and
the power it has makes its worse really I was actually going to go with a much wider tire in the back to try and
cure some of it. I like it but it's a burden when the ground is cold or wet. When the rear gets lowered it should
become more tolerable but even with the weight transfer the stiffer setting may negate that change.

I don't know, I'll find out when I get there. Wheel shopping needs a spot on the list ASAP I have a very
particular taste so I'm not sure what to do, I guess right off the top of my head my best choice ATM are
replica 00' Cobra R wheels. I'll find out when I cross that bridge. I might make a video tomorrow plus some pics.
I hope.

What about a stiffer swaybar in the front to reduce oversteer ? ADDCO maybe ?

I'm guessing by the lopey sound you don't have an X/H pipe in the system?

No crossover. The second you put a crossover in there it'll drone and won't sound
like dual anymore. There's a another vid that has a dual setup with crossover,
same header roughly the same as my last setup. His just sounded like a single
straight pipe with a Flowmaster. Seems to work better without a crossover. Since
each cylinder fire into each collector alternately doesn't really need one. IDK it's
speculation I guess.

Pulling my thread from the bottom of the barrel again for some more pics. Did some more work on the intake
and exhaust and started to paint the body too. It's been raining quite a bit around here so the bodywork
stuff had been delayed quite a bit.

Here's some pics during my trans swap. The old goat to the AX15. From a 92' YJ.

Last edited:
Remade my track bar cause I was tired of that balljoint. Used a stainless steel sleeve, grease fitting and
2 track bar poly bushing kits. Chopped the ball joint off and welded the sleeve to the bar. Filleted it
building material cause the bar gets really narrow. Used a piece of 2" square tube and cut it to allow
the bushing fit with some range of motion and welded everywhere I could lol. Cleaned and painted the
mount up and bolted it back in.

Last edited:
Back