• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

so i cracked open a can of worms today

stewie said:
i like that you took the time to clean up the engine bay. i dont see too many people doing that sort of thing, but then again im a guy that cleans the engine every month looking for leaks...

i keep mine dirty so that it doesn't leak!

The only advice I could say is a couple of good friends to help and some beer for your work horses.

shoobie said:
Keep us posted. I'd love to see the 97 interior swapped in to the 87.

Im going to do a write up on everything im doing. Since i was looking how to do a dash swap and didnt find anything fopefully i can help someone else.

OverTheHillsATTW said:
The only advice I could say is a couple of good friends to help and some beer for your work horses.

oh the friends come in handy dont they. It amazes me what a guy will do for a cold one

hey my names red now so i can tackle anything right? Im still waiting on my rebuild kit to pull the motor and dash and everything else from the 97. Hopefully it will come tomorrow so i can start on that after work.

I seem to recall reading a few years ago that the longer motor has length issues when installing it in place of a 4 banger. I'm sorry that I can't recall the specifics. Maybe the header panel has to change or maybe it only applied to pre-'87 models. A search might be worthwhile.

I beleive that was only pre 87. I seen a dash swap thread here I thought,
had to modify some mounts on the fire wall. when I had to modify my dash in my 89 I went a little different route. nice and simple and easy. I wouldnt want teh headache of putting in a newer dash!

There were problems with clearance issues in the early 87's for the 4.0 but im fine with mine. I like the metal dash. i was thinking about doing that. And beer has been my best friend.....gets the guys workin.

The aluminum dash is one of the easier things I have put on my Jeep. 10" out, 8" down and 12" back in for the bottom. I cut it so it goes down the sides of the steering column and gets sandwiched in the column mounts. All together the gauges cost about $60-70, used speedo and tach off Ebay, auto gauge triple set(with electric water temp) and a equus cheap-o fuel gauge.

Alot easier to do then cutting and rewelding brackets to try and get a dash straight and you get way more room.

good luck and keep us posted, Jeremy

Back