• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So broken ankles suck...

Thanks for your concern guys.

I'm doing alright, but frankly this is the not only the most painful thing to ever happen to me...but also the most drawn out. Hopefully I can manage to continue on with school soon. School and healing are my biggest concerns right now, everything is still on the table.

Drawn out? Try rupturing an Achilles. It is a year long rehab with multiple months where you can't put your foot on the ground or breaking your neck and taking a year to be able to walk again.

Young and impatient, been there and done that and have the scars to prove it.

Good luck with the recovery. What ever you do, follow the doctor's instructions. Don't bother asking me why.

Drawn out? Try rupturing an Achilles. It is a year long rehab with multiple months where you can't put your foot on the ground or breaking your neck and taking a year to be able to walk again.

Young and impatient, been there and done that and have the scars to prove it.

Good luck with the recovery. What ever you do, follow the doctor's instructions. Don't bother asking me why.
(you're gonna get one good shot at getting it to mend properly; don't blow it)

How's the foot?

How's the foot?

Hmmm, didn't see this.

I had my second surgery just after Christmas so they could swap the hardware in my fibula for shorter screws. They also had to pull out all the hardware on my tibia because my wound wasn't healing very well and they were worried about infection. Ideally, it would have stayed in my leg for at least a year till the bone fully healed. Resulting from that, the bone didn't heal quite right on my tibia, it healed more inward toward the ankle. So, I'll develop arthritis early on in life for sure, not to mention that the cartilage is pretty much gone for half the area.

Currently I'm 'partial weight bearing' so I can start putting my foot on the ground. Sometimes I can walk (limp) without any support but that's fairly rare, or very painful. I started PT about a month ago, and we are seeing progress in my range of motion but it's still pretty limited.

The PT says I probably won't be walking without support (crutches and or boot) for another two months at best. And the doctor is keeping an eye on my wound on my tibia because it still hasn't healed, there's talk of doing a skin graft there...I'll find out about that today.

All in all, it's getting better. But, my ankle will never be the same. I'll be surprised if I'll ever be able to run for long distances again too.

Healing! by schmitz516, on Flickr

Back