• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Smog ??

Kejtar said:
Where did you smog it at? that sounds waaaaaaaaaaaay too much.
San Jose, I looked around and most are above or around that price now, because of the new CA smog rules. :tear:

Letterman said:
San Jose, I looked around and most are above or around that price now, because of the new CA smog rules. :tear:

I did mine at a test only place... and I thought $50 + certificate (no coupon on all that) was about $10 more then everyone else... I did it through cause I was tehre, and wanted to get it done and over with.... and this is LA area.

Kejtar said:
I did mine at a test only place... and I thought $50 + certificate (no coupon on all that) was about $10 more then everyone else... I did it through cause I was tehre, and wanted to get it done and over with.... and this is LA area.
Was this with the NEW smog rules?
Now you have to put it on runners and get it up to speed. Not like the old days when you could just rev the skinny pedel.

Letterman said:
Was this with the NEW smog rules?
Now you have to put it on runners and get it up to speed. Not like the old days when you could just rev the skinny pedel.
yup... this was on Wednesday.... so it was new rules.

Kejtar said:
yup... this was on Wednesday.... so it was new rules.
Wow so I got Ripped off! :looser:
Oh well, at least beer prices have not gone up, I will go cry over a cold one! :rattle: :cheers:

Another question & Comment

Bryan,
I have another XJ in my sights and have a few questions in regards to CA Smog.

1. Is it still required to pay the ~$300 fee to register an out of state vehicle the first time in CA? It was several years ago when I registered a CJ from CO.
2. XJ is an 88 currently registered out of state. Is there still 49 state and CA emissioned equipped vehicles? If so what equipment should I be looking for to be missing? The vehicle is an 88 4.0 w/5-spd.

Comment: Yes the techs don't know all the laws and how they apply. Of course they have several thousand varibles with the different years, makes and models. Most employers at small shops will not pay for training, techs need to take classes at night or Saturdays on their own dime and away from their families. I let my smog licemse elapse in 1985. I was tired of the owner pressuring me to just fill out a certificate and pipe test a car of friends of his.

Thanks for the info,
Tom

Tom, I just smogged my "out of state" '94 and didn't pay any out of state fees. All it needed to do was pass Ca emissions, nothing had to be added. HTH :wave:

The $300 dollar enivromental smog impact is no longer in effect. Some motorists even got refunds for the fees they paid. The difference between CA and 49 states is very minimal. The biggest problem with the older XJs is the vacuum and vapor lines deteriorating and falling apart, also check for the EGR valve and vacuum transducer assy. Make sure it has the factory air cleaner box with the hot air tube and vacuum lines intact.

To respond to your comment. I do understand that most employers do not train their technicians at all. I myself recently had to attend 40+hrs of state mandated smog update courses. The classes were 4hrs long on weeknights after work. I was not paid to do this training, but was told I may lose some of my pay if I let my license lapse. I shouldn't complain too much about training, my dealership paid for 12 full days of factory training for just me last year alone. Most techs do not have the same opportunity to further their education at the expense of their employers. While I sympathise about being away from their families, the same thing is required of me too. I just don't like the idea of charging someone for something they don't need due to the technicians ignorance. Sorry, rant is over.

Bryan

Just a couple of thoughts about the costs of these dyno smog tests. My understanding is that these dyno tests are new to us in NorCal but not new in SoCal. With the high cost of equipment for these new tests it was predicted to cost more at first and then get a little cheeper as some of the equip costs were recovered. That may explain why Kejtar only had to pay $50 in LA but it's $80 to $100 up here in the Bay area. :rattle:

Rob D said:
Just a couple of thoughts about the costs of these dyno smog tests. My understanding is that these dyno tests are new to us in NorCal but not new in SoCal. With the high cost of equipment for these new tests it was predicted to cost more at first and then get a little cheeper as some of the equip costs were recovered. That may explain why Kejtar only had to pay $50 in LA but it's $80 to $100 up here in the Bay area. :rattle:
Yeah I thought so, I looked around and found that same Price range. I thought just under $80 with the cert. was not bad.

Maybe I am not a :looser:

Nope, just checked I am!

Jes said:
I'm getting sick of the over taxation by our state. Our roads suck yet we pay more for registration and other related taxes than any other state. I'm sick of it! :mad:

Jes

Just to continue the rant, I loved how it came out in the debates, that in the 70s we spent something like 15% of total revenue on infrastructure, you know highways, roads water treatment plants, universitys etc. Now its something stupid like half of a percent. Can you guess how much traffic we would have if it still worked that way, yup zero zip nada. The only problem is they would have so much money to spend on roads and stuff that they would probably pave our trails. :)

Heck I would be happy if our gas tax and registration fees were actually spent on roads and our OHV money actually went to OHV areas. :sure:

Just to continue, I am sure nobody is listening now anyway, I found it very interesting when talking about unemployment that one particular major "ethnic group" had a 50% unemployment rate, Geesh how can you hire somebody that has a one out of two chance in collecting unemployment off of you? Sorry I had to throw that one in can you tell I am bitter about someone in that "ethnic group"? :)

Unemployment? Gawd - I know about that! I've had something like a dozen jobs in the last seven years, and I keep getting "downsized" (there's a euphemism for you - we're doing what's best for us and screw you!) from anything resembling a decent job. When I go for a new one, it comes out that I'm "overqualified and undereducated," and I never get to collect anything from unemployment, either. Doesn't matter that I've paid into it with every damn paycheck I get - I can't get anything out of it. Filing an insurance claim is easier...

Throw in that I don't have a "race card" to play, and that explains why I'm back in school. At least that fills in the "resume stain" of unemployment - and looking for a job don't count with employers as something constructive to do.

As far as taxes go, there was a woman out here in Berzerkeley a couple years ago who refused to file on the grounds that she did not want to financially support the war with Iraq, and wanted to control where her money went. Capital idea - can I tell the IRS to go soak their heads, take 10% of what we make, and send into the Armed Forces Payroll Fund? There isn't much else that I care to support in government - congresscritters don't need my money, and I refuse to support the welfare state, the National Endowment for the Arts, or the various other iterations of the vermiform appendix we have been financially saddled with (like the ATF, most of BLM, 2/3 of the EPA, and others.)

5-90

Rob D said:

It's not the cost of the Dyno but what I call "COST OF LIVING". The price of the dyno has falling sometime ago. The cost to live in the Bay area has not.When I drive to the Bay Area I fill up with gas before I leave since I know that the gas will cost alot more there.
If you don't want to pay 80-100 for a smog then drive to the central valley (Fresno,Los Banos,Sac,etc). Where I do smogs it's a total of 47.20 and you get a free car wash (www.redcarpetcarwash.com).

Back