• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Significant power upgrades: CA Edition

Rigs that have been passing smog for 15 years are now failing and having to go back to BAR to get their sticker, on previously approved mods (like EFI conversions, etc).

Wait - BAR / CARB / Kalifornia is reversing decisions they had previously made about smog?
Makes me nervous...

No.

Just requiring you to go back and get the new sticker on previous stuff.

In the past anything short of an engine swap just required a manufacturers sticker listing a carb E.O.

Now you need an additional BAR sticker for a lot of stuff too. More steps, but not really reversing a decision. I think too many people getting the sticker for one product and running something drastically different.

My two cents. A stroker from Bishop-Buell. No smog issues, no fitment issues. Stock, good condition cooling system will cool it just fine.

Russ built one for me, and I couldn't be happier. He will take the time to find out what you plan to use the engine for, and build it accordingly. I wanted low end torque, and didn't really care about overall high RPM horsepower. I ended up with an engine that can pull freight trains at 800 RPM, but it pretty much done at 4000 RPM. It sits in front of an AX-15, and I can pull Cajon Pass, loaded for camping, at 65-70 mph in 5th gear. There's even enough left to accelerate, albeit slowly. My fuel economy went from 10 mpg highway to 17. Off road went from 8 mpg to 12. Gomer is not a light Jeep.

I's also amazing to compare the power band of my motor to the one in the Team NAXJA 4643 race Jeep. The two engines couldn't be more different. Same block, same builder, everything else different.

David Bricker / SYR

My two cents. A stroker from Bishop-Buell. No smog issues, no fitment issues. Stock, good condition cooling system will cool it just fine.

Russ built one for me, and I couldn't be happier. He will take the time to find out what you plan to use the engine for, and build it accordingly. I wanted low end torque, and didn't really care about overall high RPM horsepower. I ended up with an engine that can pull freight trains at 800 RPM, but is pretty much done at 4000 RPM. It sits in front of an AX-15, and I can pull Cajon Pass, loaded for camping, at 65-70 mph in 5th gear. There's even enough left to accelerate, albeit slowly. My fuel economy went from 10 mpg highway to 17. Off road went from 8 mpg to 12. Gomer is not a light Jeep.

I's also amazing to compare the power band of my motor to the one in the Team NAXJA 4643 race Jeep. The two engines couldn't be more different. Same block, same builder, everything else different.

David Bricker / SYR

No.

Just requiring you to go back and get the new sticker on previous stuff.

In the past anything short of an engine swap just required a manufacturers sticker listing a carb E.O.

Now you need an additional BAR sticker for a lot of stuff too. More steps, but not really reversing a decision. I think too many people getting the sticker for one product and running something drastically different.

will be interesting to see what goes down if one of the many many people who swapped gas to diesel and got a sticker end up with one of these requests and then get denied

I feel like this means if you want to get a V8 swap approved, you better do it soon before the door closes. Although Ive heard mailbox rentals are cheap in NV

Back