• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shackle angle with bastard pack???

B.RAIDER

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched and I guess I haven't hit on the correct "searchwords" yet.
Those of you that have made the 3" lift bastard pack (regardless from where your leafs come from....S10...Dakota or whatever) using the XJ main....what did your shackle angle come out like?
Was it OK ...or will it require some retro-work also?

my buddies came out pretty vertical. Rode like crap. If you get a longer main, like from a 3500 dodge van it will push the angle back some

Grab MJ shackles while your in the junk yard and youll be fine.
What's the diffrence in XJ and MJ shackles?
Have'nt found a pict. yet.
Your shackle angle should be not straight down but slightly bowed out to the rear. This is not a very good description but I don't have a picture on hand.
I understand the angle info...I was just wondering what the results have been with those that have done them (3" lift).

30-45 degree angle and use the 1500 dodge van leaf packs
I recall reading somewhere's that the Dodge eyes were different somehow.:dunno:
I know they measure 23 x 31 and the XJ is 23 x 28 5/8.
If they (Dodge mains)will fit the XJ without problems I will look for them at the PNP when I get a chance to go.
When I do my lift, I'm going to build up a separate spring set and save the set that's on it for going back to stock or whatever.

I just got off the phone with General Spring.
They told me that there should be no diffrences in the mounting points of the springs (1/2 ton Dodge 70-97) and they should fit the XJ just fine. They told me that they both use a 9/16 bolt.
So as it has been stated in previous post (several times I'm sure LOL).... they will work (making a bastard pack).:lecture:
Never hurts to do your own research on anything.:rolleyes:

I'm a bit curious if they will give lift as a direct fit (as they are).

So unless someone changes my thinking at this time..... I will look for a 1/2 ton Dodge van at the PNP to get the leaf springs from (one of these days).

Last edited:
my buddies came out pretty vertical. Rode like crap. If you get a longer main, like from a 3500 dodge van it will push the angle back some

So your buddy used the 3500 main with two complete XJ packs?

30-45 degree angle and use the 1500 dodge van leaf packs

...and you used the complete 1500 Dodge pack? Or did you mix some XJ leafs in there.

If you guys could clarify which leafs you used where, that would be cool. I'm told this process is trial and error. The trial is going to be challenging enough for me, hopefully you guys can help me avoid the error. :helpme:

My shackle angle is vertical with a brand new 4.5 rough country lift and 1.5 in. shackles...What gives with this? do they not sell the right length springs?
Don't mean to steal the thread...

My shackle angle is vertical with a brand new 4.5 rough country lift and 1.5 in. shackles...What gives with this? do they not sell the right length springs?
Don't mean to steal the thread...

I don't think you stole the thread. Thank you for posting. I was actually wondering about this myself. Last night I bastard packed my XJ main leaf to find my shackle vertical. I didn't think about the consequences of adding more arch to the spring. Prior to doing it, I just figured that if I used the stock main leaf it would be just fine. :doh: After looking at it, I started thinking that I should just suck it up and buy an aftermarket spring pack...then I started wondering if the aftermarket guys compensated for this or just built the springs based on the stock dimensions. Apparently rough country does not compensate. Does anyone know of other companys that do compensate for the eye-to-eye length that is lost due to arching?

I'm really starting to conclude that a properly built bastard pack might be the best option.

Last night I bastard packed my XJ main leaf to find my shackle vertical.
What combo of leafs did you use and what was your lift result?

I'm contemplating using a mid 80's "Heavy Half" or "Big 10" main leaf with the eyes cut off for the AAL and the rest of the XJ leafs.
Has anyone use this combo?

What combo of leafs did you use and what was your lift result?

I purchased some springs from a guy locally. He told me that it was a 4" Cherokee lift pack. When I arrived at his house, it turns out that it was somebody else's bastard pack. They were only $20 for the pair, so I grabbed them anyway. They did provide about 4-5" of lift, but they measured 26" eye-to-center along the arch both directions (YJ, CJ maybe?). I threw them in the XJ just for kicks and it pushed my wheelbase back at least an inch (which I would've been ok with), but my shackle wound up being angled forward. It was at this point that I cut the eyes off this pack and put the whole pack under my stock XJ main. Three of the leaves from the new pack were stock XJ leaves. Total now I've got the 4 stock XJ leaves and three unknowns. Altogether I'm netting ~4.5" of lift, but unfortunately I can't contribute anything productive to this conversation because I have no idea what the other leaves are out of.

I've got the height I need, now I just need to work out the alignment issues. That's why I was excited to read about the longer Dodge main leaf. I hope that somebody clarifies the leaf recipe on the Dodge pack for me. I'd really like to wind up with a 3" leaf pack and a 1.5" shackle to get my 4.5". If the Dodge main plus two XJ packs equals 3", then I'll be home free.

I am doing a 3" lift on my xj also, all i have left to buy is leafs and shocks.i am going to use dodge 1/2 ton leafs, which consists of 4 leafs in the pack. i already have 1 1/2" re boomerang shackles.and i am going to buy a 1" block from offroad designs. they call it a zero rate add a leaf. pin runs thru block and leafs and into the perch.this with a little more arc the leaf pack gives me should net 3 inches of lift. if not i will ad more leafs. 1/2 ton dodge leafs are rated at # 1200 lbs according to general leaf springs site and stock xj's are rated at #750. goat man runs mj main and chevy 1/2 ton leafs under it and his flexes like mad. and carries a lot of weight. i see no reason why the dodge 1/2 tons shouldnt do the same. " AGAIN FOR PEOPLE WANTING TO DO THIS LIFT< USE THE 1/2 TON DODGE VAN LEAFS. OLDER STYLE WITHOUT THE OVAL BUSHINGS"

I am doing a 3" lift on my xj also, all i have left to buy is leafs and shocks.i am going to use dodge 1/2 ton leafs, which consists of 4 leafs in the pack. i already have 1 1/2" re boomerang shackles.and i am going to buy a 1" block from offroad designs. they call it a zero rate add a leaf. pin runs thru block and leafs and into the perch.this with a little more arc the leaf pack gives me should net 3 inches of lift. if not i will ad more leafs. 1/2 ton dodge leafs are rated at # 1200 lbs according to general leaf springs site and stock xj's are rated at #750. goat man runs mj main and chevy 1/2 ton leafs under it and his flexes like mad. and carries a lot of weight. i see no reason why the dodge 1/2 tons shouldnt do the same. " AGAIN FOR PEOPLE WANTING TO DO THIS LIFT< USE THE 1/2 TON DODGE VAN LEAFS. OLDER STYLE WITHOUT THE OVAL BUSHINGS"

Ok, so if I'm understanding correctly. You're just going to remove the entire leaf pack from a 1/2 ton Dodge Van and bolt it into your Cherokee? Also, you're running a 1 1/2" boomerang and a 1" block and you're planning to net 3"? So you're only planning on getting 1/2" out of the leaf springs? I'm not following something here. Can you please elaborate?

If anyone else has input, I'm seeing three scenarious unfold here:

1.) Bolt a 1/2 ton Dodge Van Leaf pack (the entire thing, not really a bastard at all) into your Cherokee.

2.) Combine the 1/2 ton Dodge Van main leaf with your XJ lower leafs (4 total).

3.) Combine the 1/2 ton Dodge Van leaf pack with the XJ lower leaves (7 total).

I'm really trying to get to the bottom of this. Is anybody running these setups? How much lift are you getting? How is the ride? How well does it flex?

Ok, so if I'm understanding correctly. You're just going to remove the entire leaf pack from a 1/2 ton Dodge Van and bolt it into your Cherokee? Also, you're running a 1 1/2" boomerang and a 1" block and you're planning to net 3"? So you're only planning on getting 1/2" out of the leaf springs? I'm not following something here. Can you please elaborate?

If anyone else has input, I'm seeing three scenarious unfold here:

1.) Bolt a 1/2 ton Dodge Van Leaf pack (the entire thing, not really a bastard at all) into your Cherokee.

2.) Combine the 1/2 ton Dodge Van main leaf with your XJ lower leafs (4 total).

3.) Combine the 1/2 ton Dodge Van leaf pack with the XJ lower leaves (7 total).

I'm really trying to get to the bottom of this. Is anybody running these setups? How much lift are you getting? How is the ride? How well does it flex?

only way to really tell is to mix and match the van springs and the xj springs.

used springs dont always have the same arch as they did new, especially xj springs.

Yes bolt the entire 4 leaf dodge 1/2 ton van pack to my cherokee and yes it is a bastard pack since it was meant for a van not a cherokee. 1 1/2 " re boomerang shackle, 1" block, ad more longer van leafs if necassary for more lift. will not use additional xj leafs in pack. as i said earlier read some of of goatmans threads. he uses mj main and multiple chevy 1/2 ton leafs in his pack. and flexes like crazy.pack will include leaf spring retainers that allow leaf pack to flex and lubricant type paint or spray. " IE" moly spray between leaves.

Back