• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shackle angle with bastard pack???

no i cant i also need to go to pnp as you do lol. what do you need a measurement for? if your looking at the arc you can find it on the leaf spring mfg web sites, .longer 1/2 ton packs usually give more lift. read some threads on f 150 4 leaf packs with mj shackle. nets about 4.5". granted it is about 2.5 inches longer than the van leafs, but the van leafs are also about 2.5 inches longer than xj leafs.using what i mentioned on my packs i honestly expect to be at 3.5 inches which is great. if not i will ad more leafs.

Yes it would fix shackle angle problems.and are fine if you want to keep the crappy thin xj leafs that dont last long at all.and dont handle any weight at all. i am using van leafs for shackle angle and ability to carry weight and still flex. made my own shackle relocator on last xj i had and used xj leafs and wasnt happy with the fact the xj leafs just dont hold up long. thanks for the info.

It's been a while since I read up on it but when I was researching it I remember alot of people saying to use thinner leaves and more leaves, the thinner ones will have better flex. older s10's had more thin leaves than newer with thicker and the older were supposed to be a better ride. I'm not trying to argue with you on this I'm just spewing out info I remember.

Thin is good yes. but longer thicker leaves work well also. as goatman says reducing friction and longer leafs is key in all packs.members here run f 150 and chevy leafs and get good flex and ability to carry weight.S10 durango and mj leafs may be a little thinner but they have a lot of arc since they are sua leafs.which i feel is a trade off for flatter 1/2 ton leafs.all personal preference in the end.shackle angle,reducing friction and using spring retainers that allow leafs to flex is what makes a good bastard pack.

go to husky leaf spring, they have it on there site. general leaf used to but changed there site last yr. how much lift are you looking for? i already did my home work as you did on the bushings and the shackle angle will be near perfect.all i need is 3 inches for my lift and should be good doing what i mentioned in earlier post. if i get 3.5 thats great.

go to husky leaf spring,
Thanks for the link....I had'nt found that one before.

I was looking for the eye to eye measurement not the arch.

According to the link there is only 7/8" difference in the arch but a huge difference in the spring capacity (obviously).

how much lift are you looking for?
I was looking to get 3".
I have pretty much commited myself to ordering complete lift kit with the full packs.

I am still interested in the "genetics" (for the lack of a better word at this time) to achieving a fairly good pack with the proper shackle angle using no added bracket relocating hardware.
I know there are threads out there (as to what leafs they used)...but most of them don't address the SA issue.

Last edited:
Here's the problem with a 3" leaf pack. will you have proper shackle angle? not many 3" packs out there. then you run into the shackle, use the stock one? run a 1" or 1 1/2" then your taller than the front. your choice. i am going with a bastard pack at 3 inches. i have bds 3" coils lifetime warranty and high spring rate, re super ride lowers fixed, iron rock offroad adjustable trac bar,double shear bracket, 1 1/2" RE boomerang shackles.bastard leaf packs. and i am going with the doetsch tech 8000 pre runner shocks with built in bump stops.uppers will come later when i can afford them.will also lengthen brake lines.

Back