• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Selectable locker

Root Moose said:
E-locker is an LSD when in "open" mode. When locked it is a spool like an ARB (IIRC)...

Yes the E-Locker is a spool when locked but its open when unlocked, not LSD.
I'm running the E-Locker in my D44 and it's been running flawlessly. I purchased mine as soon as they were available for the 44 (around January) but I've been told that lately they're extremely hard to get ahold of as of a month or so ago. Not sure what the situation is looking like now though...

Red97XJ said:
I vote e-locker.

$575 and you can wire it up and done.

The only down side, is you will have to admit that this is the same locker that is optional on H2's! LOL
yeah, too bad. they shoulda they made the rest of the thing that well... :D
my vote elocker. simple, cheap(er), it works. for the $ you save from an arb, you could buy a LOT better air compressor... i wouldn't be surprised if they make arb's outdated one day. the only advantage arb has is that they've got a more proven reputation. i'm not talking smack or anything, but if these are proven reliable over time, they are gonna take so much of arb's business that it's not even funny.
why? eaton already has the oem backing, and as they get put in more vehicles, larger #'s will slash manufacturing prices even more....

Yes, I have a d44 in the garage right now(waiting). If you consider that I paid $250 for the dana44, it was actually free when consider the fact that the locker is only $575, I DON'T have to buy a compressor, and gears with install kit are almost $100 less than my 8.25 (which is slightly weaker). And the 8.25 is harder to set up correctly.

Actaully, after typing all that, I see myself money ahead!

Because the E-locker is an open unit when off, (and I live in Indiana and its my DD) I plan on having them f & r.

Later,
Jason

And no Chevy or Ford uses a D-30, so I expect it will be a long time before an Eaton is available for the D-30, it ever.

JohnJohn and I both have T-lockers in our 30's and 44's. My axles are not installed in the XJ yet. My only comment about them is that the pneumatic switch they send is large and awkward and difficult to mount. JohnJohn mounted his in the storage space in the console. It would have made far more sense to send solenoid activated switches like the ARB. I like the T-locker because it uses an external air activated solenoid as opposed to ARB's internal activator. However, the T-locker's activator is an obscure German solenoid, and I've yet to source an easily and cheaply available replacement. It's also hanging out there just waiting to be smacked. The 44 cover has provisions for a guard, but my 30 cover doesn't.

JohnJohn has used his T-lockers in Moab and had no problem. They do look and feel sturdy and well-built. I had to remove the cover of my D-30 to replace the seals after the locker was installed. I probably pried and forced it off wrong, but the locker fork(Very similar to the front disconnect forks) broke a chunk off of the ring that it rides in to move the locking pins. I don't THINK it will effect the function, but still, for the price it's irritating.

I really wanted electric activated lockers. I like wiring much better than tubing, but there seemed to be little likelihood of an electric locker for the D-30 becoming available any time soon. We got a pretty good deal by buying 4 lockers at once, so I went with the T-locker. The amount I've spent putting in a multi-purpose air system has sorted negated that advantage. :laugh3:

If you can live with one locker, and have faith that Eaton will have one for the D-30 soon, I'd go for the Eaton. I don't think they had one available for the D-44 when I bought the T-lockers, at least not that I knew about.

Just another .02.

Fred

FitchVA said:
i can only speak for the arb...but do not let the wiring of an arb scare you. it comes with a really sweet and simple wiring harness. if you want, i can try to snap some pictures of it tonight.
here are the pictures of the ARB wiring harness. i tried to label them to help you understand what's going on w/out me trying to type a novel...

(linked due to large pictures...)

http://viewsfrommylens.com/v-web/gallery/albums/arb-wiring-harness/PICT6494_labeled.jpg
in this picture, you'll see the main part of the wiring harness. i labeled what each connector goes to. pretty self explanitory

http://viewsfrommylens.com/v-web/gallery/albums/arb-wiring-harness/PICT6497_labeled.jpg
this is the smaller harness for the switches. the connector on the top right side of the loop connects to the connector just below and to the right (on the main wiring harness)

http://viewsfrommylens.com/v-web/gallery/albums/arb-wiring-harness/PICT6519_labeled.jpg
here are some of the other things you'll have to deal with. (more detail on them in the next picture)

http://viewsfrommylens.com/v-web/gallery/albums/arb-wiring-harness/PICT6524_labeled.jpg
here's how all of that stuff fits on the pump. as you can see, i didn't fully install this stuff on the pump cause i was just mocking it up so you could see more clearly how it all goes. 'bout the only thing i didn't connect was the solenoids to the main harness but you can see both in the picture.

hopefully it gives you a better understanding of the wiring of an ARB system.

- steve

Back