• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Seat Testing

MongoXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Howdy boys, I seem to be full of questions/requests these days.

I am thinking about buying a mastercraft rubicon suspension seat in the quasi near future. But I am a big guy and I can not find anyone who has a wide version for me to try out. I am really reluctant to drop that kind of money on a seat without knowing if I will even like it.

So if anyone has one of these in the San Diego area and wouldnt mind letting me sit in it for a minute and test the fit/feel I would really appriciate it. Also open to opinions on other seats that might be good for me.

i'm a pretty big guy-6'3 and 240, i sat in one of those in a wrangler and liked it. a little too much $$$ for me though. orw might have one on display maybe?

The Mastercraft factory is in Santee ya know....their showroom has numerous models on display.
I just dropped my four year old Rubicon seat off to be 'tuned-up' as they put it.

Smittybilt has just released a seat that looks identical and is about 1/2 the cost. It's newly out, but is advertised in the recent copy several mags.

I went to their site, but it's under construction.

I would really like to see one of them though.

I like the Mastecraft, but over $500 each, plus mounting rails....:shiver:

Huh ok so mastercraft does have a showroom in santee, I was under the impression from ORW they didn't. I suppose I should call them and find out for my self.

As for price, the rubicons really arnt very expensive if you dont get it with all the fancy colors/vynil all the way around. The one I priced was around $320, and it will match my interior/exterior decently.

rpraterxj said:
I like the Mastecraft, but over $500 each, plus mounting rails....:shiver:

I know the reclining model is, but the Rubicon is closer to $300-$325, and the mounting brackets are easy work. About $4 worth of flat stock, no welding or any fancy fab required to fit my 98....

yeah the reclining one sounds great, but I dont have that much for 1 seat and I never change my seat, if im gonna sleep in the jeep I will lay down the back. Just gotta make sure the wide rubicons will be comfortable enough since ill be stuck with it :p

And finaly changed my damn avatar to my truck.

I recommend the Corbeau Baja ultra SS seat. Will accomodate a 38" waist.
shipped with the brackets around 300. Look on pirate vendor section might find it cheaper.
DSC00718.jpg

DSC00710.jpg

Like I said, im a big guy, 38" aint gonna cut it. 42" mastercraft digs into my ass a bit as it is. Im the one closest to the camera :p

shawn-brandon.jpg

Good try though :) and I appriciate it.

Some guys got a six pack, I got a whole friggin keg!

Yeah Tony has a store down here, where I met him for my HID kit. But I just dont think it would be worth it for him to drive his truck all the way down here just so I could try a seat. I should exaughst the master craft show room option first. Call them on tuesday since ill be on the trail all monday.

MongoXJ said:
yeah the reclining one sounds great, but I dont have that much for 1 seat and I never change my seat, if im gonna sleep in the jeep I will lay down the back. Just gotta make sure the wide rubicons will be comfortable enough since ill be stuck with it :p

And finaly changed my damn avatar to my truck.
I have the Baja RS and i LOVE THEM!!!!!!

From another "Big Guy" the wide version isnt wide enough for me, i tried it my wife tried it and both felt like we were riding two fence posts (My cousin has them in his bronco) we tried APC's racing seats in our xj and it was more comfortable and cheap but the quality sucks and basicly they are ready for the dumpster after a year. our YJ got some beard suspension seats and while a little tight at the hip they are comfy after your in it a few minutes and frankly I really like the suport they give while on inclines and for those unexpected jumps. I was even able to get washable seat covers for less than $400 a seat through a vendor on pirate. If you want Ill try and look up the contact info for ya

EDIT:forgot to mention our YJ has no top or doors so they have stood up to 2 years in the sun rain and snow with no problem

I've got a pair of PRP seats that I love. They have a wide fit for my fat ass. I can ride in them all day. PRP is in Murrieta. Of course, we could always consider a diet to trim down our fat asses to fit the seats that are available......naaahhhhh!

On the subject of seats, I just installed my Mastercraft Baja RS driver's seat that I got on Craigslist at a pretty good price. Love the seat...it's much more comfortable than the factory one.

But I don't have a big butt. :)

It's common knowledge that fat asses help keep the wheels on the rocks and the roof in the air.:scottm:

If that's the case, I wish I would've had a fat ass last year. :D

Back