• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Scored some awesome Apple G5's

iwannadie

NAXJA Forum User
I am pretty excited about getting 3 apple g5 machines. I know they are older but I also remember when they first came out I was blown away by them and wanted to get 1 just to remember they PPC hayday before apple went intel.

I got a dual 2.0, single 1.8 and single 1.6 all loaded with 2gigs of ram and decent drives for 400 bucks. I am not sure what the street value of these are today but that seemed like a steal to me. Also got a 17" cinema display for 40 bucks. I thought about buying more of them but I really dislike the ADC setup, I wish they were DVI.

I will be replacing my very old g4(AGP) with the dualy and another may find it's way to replace my g4 ibook 12" and the third I dunno yet ha. It is kinda sad I am swooning over new to me computers that are from 2005ish, I can't imagine getting a new 12core intel box gez.

These things to me at least are just amazing. The internals being so modular is just awesome. When I first opened one I saw the ram hidden way in the back and was like well that is sure an inconvenient place to put it, right behind some fans. Well, the fans slide right out as a unit, don't even have to unplug them, use tools or anything ha.

The place I got them from deal in businesses that go under and are typically bought out. They go in scoop up all the hardware with the purpose of retrieving all the data off the drives(usually for the bigger company that bought the smaller business). They are then stuck with tons of hardware and just dump it off as they are more after the data and don't want to house all the equipment.

Obviously 3.5" floppy drives would be the d35, does it have those too? I gotta say i LOL'd a lil' bit when you said AGP, havent dealt with those in 5-7 years at least...

This reminds me, I still want to run a mini-itx PC setup inside a cube case. I've made a couple MACuariums in the past.

Gah you guys are too modern, clearly these older machines just put out a warmer vibe that all these new fangled machines can't do.

They do not have floppies though. My old g4 AGP still goes strong and did everything I needed until one of the drives took a dump, haven't messed with it since that though.

I still mess around on a Tandy color computer 3. Still play the games I programed for it too
I'm with ya on old school computers

I still mess around on a Tandy color computer 3. Still play the games I programed for it too
I'm with ya on old school computers

I still like that people(not just here) bawk at the idea of these machines just because of the age. I mean these g5s were and are power houses. Why do people think they need so much power to surf the web lol. It's all a numbers race and chic to have the latest and greatest if you put it to use or not.

It's a little tough to daily use a G5 anymore because of things like Flash not updating for PowerPC. I still have the last of the G5 and run it as my iTunes server and sometimes daily use machine but I mostly use my MBP. I'll be keeping my cheese grater though since it makes nice bookends, I have the very first model PowerPC Power Macintosh and the very last.

..,idk how the hell you're running around without flash and html5 support.
If you never watch/download video, flash and html5 become less important. I run flashblock and hardly notice the greyed out windows and blank spots on most web pages.
(I was running a G4 until last Feb. with no problems)

No doubt that Flash is a PITA technology.

A bunch of years ago, while I was still working at 3Com, one of my direct reports wanted to replace a static index.html page with a Flash page. The page would have gone from about 4k to over 100k, and this was less than a year after 56k became available.

"So, what'll the Flash module give to the user?"

"Uh, I was going to put a clock in it."

"Okay, the Windows task bar already has one, as well as standalone clock capabilities."

"Dynamic menus...."

"This page hasn't changed in 2 years, and you've got got managers with only 28.8k access at night using this page. Tell me again what you're going to give with the Flash page that they don't already have?"

Flash did not get implemented.

If you never watch/download video, flash and html5 become less important. I run flashblock and hardly notice the greyed out windows and blank spots on most web pages.
(I was running a G4 until last Feb. with no problems)

Yea exactly, if I want to see video youtube works just fine. I don't need to see animated banners all over the place so I don't feel I am missing out on anything. I don't feel I am missing out on anything.

I still like that people(not just here) bawk at the idea of these machines just because of the age. I mean these g5s were and are power houses. Why do people think they need so much power to surf the web lol. It's all a numbers race and chic to have the latest and greatest if you put it to use or not.
if you run firefox you probably should upgrade to 4 or 6GB of RAM at the very least.

And flash is an abomination, unless you include "a new free unauthenticated remote administration interface discovered weekly" to the features list, then it does a pretty damn good job.

Yea exactly, if I want to see video youtube works just fine. I don't need to see animated banners all over the place so I don't feel I am missing out on anything. I don't feel I am missing out on anything.

Just wondering why you hate flash so much? You have any real reason other than just because Apple hates flash? I doubt you do.

As far as still being "power houses", sorry but they are outdated and are not still "power houses". They have a sick looking case, that's about it. However, they were overpriced, as are most Apple products, when they came out. I would agree that they are probably good enough for most people because most people just surf and use some type of word processor, but I use my desktop for more than that. I do write code on an XP laptop though.

Just wondering why you hate flash so much? You have any real reason other than just because Apple hates flash? I doubt you do.
Flash, Acrobat Reader, and Java are the three best ways to get your computer infected with malware. They are all horribly riddled with security holes and never updated quickly enough.

Back