• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Scary S!@#

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with that. Sure you can learn to drive like that. I have done it enough times over the years to know how the vehicle is going to react. That being said it is a saftey device. And learning to drive without it isn't a good excuse not to use it. There can/will be times where even knowing how to drive, having that sway bar connected could have changed the outcome. And like Troy said, insurance isn't gonna pay squat.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with that. Sure you can learn to drive like that. I have done it enough times over the years to know how the vehicle is going to react. That being said it is a saftey device. And learning to drive without it isn't a good excuse not to use it. There can/will be times where even knowing how to drive, having that sway bar connected could have changed the outcome. And like Troy said, insurance isn't gonna pay squat.

Like insurance would pay up anyways!

While we're at it........ Why even install a roll cage? It's useless equipment on a Jeep. Just learn to drive without one and you'll be fine..........

Hell, let's just do away with speed limits. We can all learn to drive at high speeds given enough time behind the wheel.........

Shock absorbers? Who needs 'em? Apparently we can all learn to drive without those too - probably just have to learn the rythm of the bounce and avoid the bumps....... no biggie.

Brakes? Please....... just learn how much gas to give it so that inertia will allow it to roll to a stop at your destination.

Unless you hurt/kill yourself or others while LEARNING - what's the harm? :rolleyes:

We install roll cages to protect ourselves from a 2mph flop on a trail but somehow we think it's ok to drive 65 mph on the highway without sway bars....... Where's the logic?

"I've been without swaybars for years and I've had no problems!"....... yeah, until the day you do have a problem, then it's just been years of LUCK.

There are inherant risks to everything we do everyday........ But by the grace of God/Fate/Luck we're allowed to survive it all. We enjoy doing things that are risky - it's how we enjoy life sometimes - to test those boundaries.

Doesn't make much sense to test those boundaries when other people are involved who may not be as "adventureous" or willing.

Oh, and of course I nearly forgot the obvious........ We all can trust the other drivers around us to be just as good a driver as we are. No reason to think THEY might affect our ability to drive safely....... :rolleyes:

Another example of the reasons to never drive on the streets with your sways disco'd. You're not gonna have much of a case with the insurance companies when they find out those are disconnected when an accident happens........ It's REALLY a bad idea when you're responsible for other folks in your car.

Lecture mode off........ :D

Glad you all came out ok on that Keifer!

:confused:

While we're at it........ Why even install a roll cage? It's useless equipment on a Jeep. Just learn to drive without one and you'll be fine..........

Hell, let's just do away with speed limits. We can all learn to drive at high speeds given enough time behind the wheel.........

Shock absorbers? Who needs 'em? Apparently we can all learn to drive without those too - probably just have to learn the rythm of the bounce and avoid the bumps....... no biggie.

Brakes? Please....... just learn how much gas to give it so that inertia will allow it to roll to a stop at your destination.

Unless you hurt/kill yourself or others while LEARNING - what's the harm? :rolleyes:

We install roll cages to protect ourselves from a 2mph flop on a trail but somehow we think it's ok to drive 65 mph on the highway without sway bars....... Where's the logic?

"I've been without swaybars for years and I've had no problems!"....... yeah, until the day you do have a problem, then it's just been years of LUCK.

There are inherant risks to everything we do everyday........ But by the grace of God/Fate/Luck we're allowed to survive it all. We enjoy doing things that are risky - it's how we enjoy life sometimes - to test those boundaries.

Doesn't make much sense to test those boundaries when other people are involved who may not be as "adventureous" or willing.

Oh, and of course I nearly forgot the obvious........ We all can trust the other drivers around us to be just as good a driver as we are. No reason to think THEY might affect our ability to drive safely....... :rolleyes:
:laugh3:

Ive driven my trail Jeep for the last 4ish years without sway bars. I have never had a problem with on road handling. But I drive it like a lifted Jeep without sway bars.

Trying to pass someone when you are almost to a blind turn is dumb when you are in a car, let alone a lifted Jeep with 4 other people in it. :twak:

Slow down and learn how to drive.

Ive driven my trail Jeep for the last 4ish years without sway bars. I have never had a problem with on road handling. But I drive it like a lifted Jeep without sway bars.

Exactly. We're all okay, until the day we're not...............;)

n1211821083_30486747_207404.jpg

I'm still trying to figure out how you laid down those tracks.

Sliding sideways with one tire off the road?

Please explain...

Yo hipocrate... I don't seem to remember having to remove any swaybars when heep came to its new home.... should we all put our rear swaybars back in with disco's too?? it was there for safety after all:moon:

Yo hipocrate... I don't seem to remember having to remove any swaybars when heep came to its new home.... should we all put our rear swaybars back in with disco's too?? it was there for safety after all:moon:

Nope, I snagged the front sway from the Heep for the Truggy minutes before you showed up for the trade because I knew it'd need one......... :moon:

And the disco's went onto the black '96.

f sway bars....
you drive a lifted jeep with body roll and wide tires that make it road steer a lot...

drive it accordingly and youll be fine....

The original being one of like 30 they had on hand? Or the one of the 300 total that they went through? Or the replica John owned and eventually sold?

one of the originals they used to shoot the series with. he tried selling it a while back and the winning bidder couldnt actually afford the bid they placed, they just wanted the media for being the highest bid. it was some custom car shop i think.

one of the originals they used to shoot the series with. he tried selling it a while back and the winning bidder couldnt actually afford the bid they placed, they just wanted the media for being the highest bid. it was some custom car shop i think.

That car was the replica that John built. All of the series General Lees were built as stunt cars essentially. So the windows were always down and the doors were welded shut. I doubt you guys were cruisin in that. He listed his on ebay, "sold" for 10 million. The owner of the ebay account claimed his account was hacked and that he was unaware of the bid. After that the buyers were screened, it only got one bid for 100k, which did not meet the reserve. So John moved it to a new venue, Barret Jackson, where it sold for $450,000. It was a Replica built by John, and used in all of the renunion shows/tv movies. It was unique in that it was signed under the hood by all of the surviving cast at some time or another. However it was never used in any of the original series, and I am pretty sure the only "General Lee" John ever owned. It sported a 511cid Hemi V8 with 725 bhp and 610 lb-ft torque when it sold. Sweet ride indeed...............:cheers:

That car was the replica that John built. All of the series General Lees were built as stunt cars essentially. So the windows were always down and the doors were welded shut. I doubt you guys were cruisin in that. He listed his on ebay, "sold" for 10 million. The owner of the ebay account claimed his account was hacked and that he was unaware of the bid. After that the buyers were screened, it only got one bid for 100k, which did not meet the reserve. So John moved it to a new venue, Barret Jackson, where it sold for $450,000. It was a Replica built by John, and used in all of the renunion shows/tv movies. It was unique in that it was signed under the hood by all of the surviving cast at some time or another. However it was never used in any of the original series, and I am pretty sure the only "General Lee" John ever owned. It sported a 511cid Hemi V8 with 725 bhp and 610 lb-ft torque when it sold. Sweet ride indeed...............:cheers:

i just checked with my half sister (who lives with john and is how i got to stay with them) and your right it was a replica that he built. but is was a custom car shop that originally placed the high bid and couldnt pay up (maybe it was pre-ebay listing?). and he did end up selling it at barret.

either way, that thing was BA. i loved cruisin down the highway in it.

came accross this thread ya kiefer it was three wheels on the ground back driver was off and i could see your jeeps under carige when you were sliding. As i recall i was pretty upset at the whole thing. Thank God you didnt roll... not the best camping trip we had

Glad you're OK Kiefer, I'll skip lecture mode, mostly -- regardless of your skills with or without a swaybar, you are responsible for your own actions and their consequences on others. If any of you guys with mad skills and no sway bars end up killing someone by freak accident, be ready for your lack of insurance defense. I will fight for your right to take such risks, but you should be prepared for the consequences.

And why the hell does Kiefer's name come up "Crimson316" when Yella quotes him?? :dunno:

Back