• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SAS Swap Jap Crap? I got a 94 Nissan Hardbody that needs to be SaS'd up.

that was to show that ifs isnt what it used to be. you can have good stuff. you are all under estimating the newer ifs parts.
and not apples to oranges.
he is talking about high stear and a waggy 44 and 3link. Real basic stock stuff Yano......

I did the IFS dance with my 3" lifted '89 Isuzu PU for 10 years before switching to the XJs simplicity and solid axle. Replacing lower ball joints and idler arms every 4-6 months got real old and expensive. Dragging the dropped torsion bars over everything sucked as well.

fixed it to reflect my experience... :gag:

YELLA'S right though, I gotta get back on track.

Leafs it is.

K.I.S.S. right?

Waggy D44, 4:56 gearing to match the 4:6 Pathfinder gears, use the leafs and the shock towers off the waggy. Flat tops and high steer. Source hangers, probly Bonney Motorsports.

Get someone to make me a driveshaft.

I like the idea of using an old D30 but I think they're too narrow. They'd be closer to an old solid front axle Toyota and I know those are quite a bit too narrow.

Sourcing the waggy 44 front axle has been expensive so far. What do you think I should be paying for this axle? If it's bone stock ripped out of a car with 150xxx miles or so?

Does 475 seem insane? It does to me, but I'm at the pull yards all day looking at damn near any axle I want for around 200 bucks.

I'm almost considering a D30, and just modding the axle more. Might be worth saving me damn near 300 dollars.

Or even what Yella said about an old CJ D30. Using adapter/spacers to make up the difference(and lug pattern)? I can get a CJ5 D30 for a hundred bucks.

Last edited:
$475 for an LP D44 is nuts. Honestly, and I ran a Waggy 44 for years quite happily, I'd stick with a 30 if I were to do it over again (indeed, I DID in my WJ). The LP44 might be marginally stronger at the R&P, but that gain in size is negated by its being LP, as compared to the stronger HP design of an XJ D30. It has stronger 30 spline shafts, but how many jeeps have you seen on 35's with 27-spline D30's and how many are regularly breaking shafts? not many. Same ujoints so no advantage. Waggy 44 has 1/2-ton chevy brakes, which work well and parts are cheap, but for the costs of fabbing to put it in, you could do a WJ swap on your D30 and end up with comparable braking.

If you need a 44, get HP, otherwise, build the 30 a little. (IIRC, there is a narrowed HP44 in the local classifies for cheap...).

I never said anything about any CJ axles........:dunno:

I said late model TJ LP D30....... Same axle can be found under '00 & '01 XJs. A YJ axle will already be set up for leaf packs ......

The last few front axles that I have harvested were $140 to get out the door. I kept the brakes, which I had to pay for, and left the steering.

Sourcing the waggy 44 front axle has been expensive so far. What do you think I should be paying for this axle? If it's bone stock ripped out of a car with 150xxx miles or so?

Does 475 seem insane? It does to me, but I'm at the pull yards all day looking at damn near any axle I want for around 200 bucks.

I'm almost considering a D30, and just modding the axle more. Might be worth saving me damn near 300 dollars.

Or even what Yella said about an old CJ D30. Using adapter/spacers to make up the difference(and lug pattern)? I can get a CJ5 D30 for a hundred bucks.

PM me your number and I will have a buddy call you. All he does is Nissan and he has his own plasma table. I bet he can help you cut your costs tons.

Twenty Nissans later... never 1200 bucks. It also sounds like you don't have any Fab Skills... Which makes a low cost build even worse.

You made me laugh calling a body lift "Red Neck". I couldn't agree any more! However a 1200 dollar SAS is in the same neighborhood...

IMAG0190.jpg

101_0640800x600.jpg

frontiermoabbuild004.jpg

frontiermoabbuild001.jpg

Last edited:
That first hardbody looks nasty. I like it. You build em for fun, or for selling?

This whole thing started out with me modding a 95 Nissan Pathfinder with all the IFS goodies. At the time for the folks with a Nissan/Datsun it was the only option. So off I went wheeling with my Jeep buds to come out with bend steering and worn out ball joints.

Being that I had spent my wad on the Nissan it was time to figure out how to make the front suspension hold up with the other rigs on the trail. The fix was to force the front axle/arms/coils from am early Bronco under the front of the Pathy. After a few months of tacking/measuring/buying it was together and worked quite well! (at this stage it was just a hobby)

Here it is on Moab Rim in 2006.

0702_4wd_13_z+2006_gone_moab+1995_nissan_pathfinder.jpg

It got the Nissan communities Attention..

NPORA-TOTY-2006.jpg

After the red Pathy I continued to help other folks SAS their rigs. This whole time collecting more and more tools for fabrication. As it sets now this hobby has turned into a home business. I make stuff for folks when I can between time spent with the family and full time job. It is still as much fun as the day it all started.

252276_516194401613_7622442_n.jpg

653_1100670169832_4324861_n.jpg

653_1100678330036_133021_n.jpg

I'm looking to do a real mild build. I just wanna get rid of the IFS BS up front.

I want a Nissan Hilux, LoL. I just want a SAS'd D21. Just a little more reliability, and some better trail manners/worthiness, something tougher.

Back