• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

saran wrap gone wrong....pics

ya took a bit...got to junk yard and luckily picked up two tie rods...jsut had the gut feeling to...good thing i did....i had to hike about mile or so (drove the v-dub up to pond)
with backpack of tools and what looked liek the better of two tie rods (plus i had the ends from the one up there i was good right?)
wrong..

one of the ends had a stripped head...so no nut would go on....and dispite all my efforts....i couldnt spin it out to put other end in...i was a lil pissy to say the least.....so basically the end that sits in drag link ...definitely held in super loosely by a bolt spun on two rotations and SUPER crooked....but it got me down the hill to the pond...and the v-dub where i easily swapped in the other tie rod in about 3 minutes....

drives good jsut needs a nother alignment now....didnt get hoem til about 3 ish....lame

here is some more pics from run tho...

11-02-08_1500.jpg

11-02-08_1448.jpg

11-02-08_1449.jpg

11-02-08_1457.jpg

11-02-08_1458.jpg

and theanks for everyones help and ideas...thanks guys....

Glad you made it out okay. :yelclap: ........I don't know Frank, bullet holes could have been a good campfire story and bragging rights.................

...............Buy yourself a tie rod upgrade like TNT's cheap $69 smacks, those factory tie rods are nothing but a bend waiting to happen.

BTW Halloween is over you can get rid of the orange now :puke::D

...............Buy yourself a tie rod upgrade like TNT's cheap $69 smacks, those factory tie rods are nothing but a bend waiting to happen.

Got linky?

The pre-tested ZJ stuff mighta cost me $10.

Got linky?

The pre-tested ZJ stuff mighta cost me $10.

......um ya the TNT is linked, although it is suppose to be blue?

Here you go so yo won't miss it Hypoid;

TNT HD Tie rod :D

..............that stuff is stronger than the ZJ stuff.

I can build one like mine for about $60 which is 1.5" OD 1"ID/.250 wall and factory tie rod excepting 11/16 tube ends and I would send him the links to all that, but I do not know if he has the welder to put it together and the TNT one is simple, after shipping probably $90 though..........

Last edited:
90 seems to be the going rate...what is better the TNT or the rusty's HD one?...been lookin at that too?!

and no...no welder :(

how is it with the 33's? im plannin on goin to 33's soon and just wonderin
i drive daily to woodland park...have to get into the throttle a few hills to keep speed but cruisin 65 is pretty easy....
in the tought stuff low range is a big friend...4 hi just wont do it....wanting to go to 4.10's i think.....maybe 4.56 if i do the whole 35's thing.....just need to prioritize what i want/need done

90 seems to be the going rate...what is better the TNT or the rusty's HD one?...been lookin at that too?!

and no...no welder :(

Rusty's is basically mine, 1.5" OD 1" ID, TNT's is not as big in diameter but still beefy.

I can send you to the places to get the parts, and find someone with a welder to weld it up?

i drive daily to woodland park...have to get into the throttle a few hills to keep speed but cruisin 65 is pretty easy....
in the tought stuff low range is a big friend...4 hi just wont do it....wanting to go to 4.10's i think.....maybe 4.56 if i do the whole 35's thing.....just need to prioritize what i want/need done

I'm in the same boat with 33s and stock 3.55s. Everyday driving is just fine, but you'll have to get used to getting into the slow lane when you're heading up into the mountains. It's tough to make the rig maintain 65 up I-70.

I'll be going to 4.88s over the winter. :thumbup:

Skully said:
I can build one like mine for about $60 which is 1.5" OD 1"ID/.250 wall and factory tie rod excepting 11/16 tube ends and I would send him the links to all that, but I do not know if he has the welder to put it together and the TNT one is simple, after shipping probably $90 though..........
Sure! Pick on an old man as his eyes (and everything else) start failing him.

I like the idea of walking into any auto parts to buy replacement TREs. If you can't share with the rest of the class, send the links to my email...please?

Sure! Pick on an old man as his eyes (and everything else) start failing him.

I like the idea of walking into any auto parts to buy replacement TREs. If you can't share with the rest of the class, send the links to my email...please?

Well first;

Pick up (2) Weld Bungs 11/16-18 (1) Right hand & (1) Left hand. $10 each

Speedway Motors Weld Bungs

Pick up (2) 11/16-18 Stainless steel Jam Nuts (1) Right hand & (1) Left hand. $3 each

Speedway Motors SS Jam Nuts

Tubing if you can find it locally might be cheaper but about $10 a foot, you need about 3' of 1.5 OD, 1" ID/.250 wall.

Ballistic Fab has it as well, but with shipping and as heavy as it is, pricey?

You can use the factory '90 TRE's which is 11/16-18, I used '96 XJ TRE's;

Napa Right hand

Napa Left hand

The Tie Rod itself was about $60+ still cheaper than TNT's, but requires some fabbing, with new ends $110, still cheaper with new TRE's

I'm using the ridgeline hd steering upgrade on mine. I love it.

You mean the Rugged Ridge HD setup?
That is a good one for $180 smacks, my only concern is the availability of parts off the shelf at your local auto parts store unless you buy extra TRE's for the supplier.

Last edited:
Back