• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sad Day In Johnson Valley

This thread has gone wrong in so many ways. By the way the arguments are going, You'd think the guy was doin 100 in JV with the intention of offing his whole family. Thats not the case. He was negligent. It was stupid.

We all have our personal opinions on how things should have been. If he'd paid more attention to what he was doing and where he was going, he would have been fine. Regardless of ass-in-seat placement. If he was driving safe for the conditions he would have been fine. Just because he rolled 3 times doesn't necessarily mean he was goin super fast. How much of a lift did his jeep have? how big were the tires? Did he have a sway bar or was it disconnected? You dont have to be going very fast, need momentum to roll. He could have very well over-steered trying to avoid a bomb crater, front wheel caught a rut and sent him rolling. Then again maybe he was going 100 and let go of the steering wheel. Who knows. We don't.

Sorry if I dont feel the same anger against him as the rest of you. This is a totally different situation than the jackoff that went wheelin in his samurai, drunk, with his baby. That dude deserves to get hung. This guy.. it was just a poor decision. Do I hold it against him for the seating arrangement? Not a bit. I can totally see a family hopping in the jeep to run a 1/4mi to Cellphone Bush so mama can make a quick phone call and they didn't want to leave the kids at camp. They didn't set out to hit any trails or run over any obstacles. Its a clear shot down a mostly-flat lake bed. Just bad decisions.

This thread has gone wrong in so many ways. By the way the arguments are going, You'd think the guy was doin 100 in JV with the intention of offing his whole family. Thats not the case. He was negligent. It was stupid.

We all have our personal opinions on how things should have been. If he'd paid more attention to what he was doing and where he was going, he would have been fine. Regardless of ass-in-seat placement. If he was driving safe for the conditions he would have been fine. Just because he rolled 3 times doesn't necessarily mean he was goin super fast. How much of a lift did his jeep have? how big were the tires? Did he have a sway bar or was it disconnected? You dont have to be going very fast, need momentum to roll. He could have very well over-steered trying to avoid a bomb crater, front wheel caught a rut and sent him rolling. Then again maybe he was going 100 and let go of the steering wheel. Who knows. We don't.

Sorry if I dont feel the same anger against him as the rest of you. This is a totally different situation than the jackoff that went wheelin in his samurai, drunk, with his baby. That dude deserves to get hung. This guy.. it was just a poor decision. Do I hold it against him for the seating arrangement? Not a bit. I can totally see a family hopping in the jeep to run a 1/4mi to Cellphone Bush so mama can make a quick phone call and they didn't want to leave the kids at camp. They didn't set out to hit any trails or run over any obstacles. Its a clear shot down a mostly-flat lake bed. Just bad decisions.

There we go, someone that isn't waving a wooden club, spitting and grinding their teeth like a Neanderthal.

Last edited:
Bottom line is it was stupid of them to do that with no belts and riding on laps. Everyone here knows ANYTHING on a jeep can break at any speed causing a wreck and at speed to do 3 rolls it was not a good situation. It sucks someone had to loose there life, father and husband but people need to wake up and think of safety first especially when it comes to having passengers in your rig. My kids go with me quite a bit and they are on lock down even on mild runs hell we dont even move our regular cars out of the driveway(which are much safer then my Jeep) without them being secure. Everyone needs to wake up and buckle up or we are going to loose not only life but the grounds we wheel in.

/\ this!! X a billion. I haven't even taken my youngest out on the trail yet because the jeep doesn't have the locking clips for her car seat like new cars have. Sure it has seat belts. It's just not tight enough for my liking. Sad sad news. I couldn't imagine the things my wife/ family would have to go through for my stupidity and greed of wanting to have fun without being safe.

Last edited:
jeep doesn't have the locking clips for her car seat like new cars have. Sure it has seat belts. It's just not tight enough for my liking.

You can address that issue with one of these:

Seat+Belt+Locking+Clip.jpg

It ensures the seatbelt won't loosen at all one you have it set. They work really well... even batter than the latch system on newer cars. (Plus, seat belts are much stronger anyway... latch has a failry low weight limit, some suggest 40 lbs max).

Stupidity behind the off-road wheel is nothing new, and it’s never any easier to hear about. I won’t even go to Glamis anymore because of it. The average I.Q. in America is 99 – that means half the people you know are even dumber than that. Add in booze and some horsepower and, well, you can count me out.

That being said, I have to agree with vanimal and hawkeye and Grimmy, here, for the most part. The death is totally sad but completely and absolutely preventable, as has been mentioned. Wearing seat belts is just Car-101, and it’s non-negotiable off-road, especially at speed.

It’s nice to be politically correct and also to be a caring human being, but lines have to be drawn somewhere. I have a very low tolerance for outright stupidity. Acting like a fool with a few too many beers in ya I completely understand; risking lives, I cannot, sir.

Back