• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rustys Long Arms - another breakage

Status
Not open for further replies.
XJoachim said:
While rolling down the trailer i heard a few bangs so i stopped to take a look. This is what i saw
2 years ago the same thing happened to my short lower arms at the frame side. At this time Rusty changed the design and added brackets to prevent this.

I called Rusty about this and when i told him that i already replaced the frame side bushings with RE Superflex joints after he asked if i had opened the jam nuts, he told me also to replace the lower bushings with RE joints. No warranty,, no replacement, just telling me that my tires are too big and my axles too heavy. :eek:

No more Rustys control arms for me :flamemad:
XJoachim said:
These quotes are taken from the web site. Do i need to say more?

@bheit4x4
I don't know where you came from, what do you know about suspensions? You don't know nothing about my application and you're calling me an asshat? Go back where you came from, i don't whine about braking anything, i'm sure i destroyed more parts than your complete XJ is worth. I just wanted to know everybody about a weak link. The fact that Rusty doesn't warrantee it is a thing between Rusty and me and is not your business. :moon:

I think the above quotes show how you made this everyones business. BTW the quote from the website is in regards to welding a crossmember to the frame, not the welds in his production. It is trying to sell you that a bolt on crossmember is more reliable than a welded one. A very debateable topic IMO. But way to take it out of context to work for ya!

xjoachim said:
Go back where you came from, i don't whine about braking anything, i'm sure i destroyed more parts than your complete XJ is worth[quote/] The whole thread was started on his complaining bout breaking (not braking) stuff. I could say more but don't want to turn this into a flame war...I've learned my lesson from the terrorists thread...:)

XJoachim said:
You and many others here at this board including Rusty have no clue what my front end suspension looks like. You don't even know what end is connected and which not or what type of upper arm i run and how it's connected.

So what does it all look like???

I've been following this thread for a while, and I'm really interested in what your front suspension looks like. Got any pics? Without mud :laugh3:

:D

"a Rusty's product is a superior value delivered at a reasonable price".

Could someone tell me the dollar value per pound of a Rusty's control arm?

And how this value compares to the values of roll cages or toaster ovens?

Will these arms raise the coolness factor or lower my insurance?

TIA

Last edited:
woody said:
Ask Clayton if he'd warranty his stuff with a D60 and one arm gone...

i have his arms on and when i was up there getting them installed adam told me he never had an arm come back broken ever so if it was a d60 and broke im shure they would warenty it no prob but with 1 missing arm i doubt it, you realy cant complain when something breaks due to changing the design. im very glad i didnt go with the rusty arms now though lol

they will indeed lower your insurance. The coolness factor depends on who you talk to. ;)

old_man said:
I have a question. Did anyone else notice that picture of the broken arm has it mounted with the short arm bracket in the down position. Why?

I am and engineer and I agree that if you have the jamb nuts tight and flex the vehicle, since it only has poly bushings, something has to give. Yes SuperFlex joints would help, but you paid for poly, not SuperFlex joints. If you wanted SuperFlex joints, either you should have gotten a product with them or you should have added them yourself. As an engineer, I can tell you that a three link system puts significantly more stress on portions of the suspension during certain types of flexing.

First thing, both arms are installed (or have been) the way they should, short arm brackets up and each on their specific side. What you missed is that both bushings broke at the same time, you are looking at 2 different arms, the left arm broke on top of the weld, the right one on the bottom of the weld.

Second, the polys have been on the axle side and at the frame side there already have been RE SF joints and no, the jam nuts are not bolted down.

jeepinmike said:
just out of curiosity which upper arm was removed?
The left upper is removed, the "pumpkin" side is not installed. I removed it because everytime i was wheelin' one mount of the uppers or a bushing was destroyed from suspension bind. Since i removed 1 upper there is no bind any more. A .500 wall 3" 4340 tube doesn't give so something else had to.

Capt. Nemo said:
So what does it all look like???

I've been following this thread for a while, and I'm really interested in what your front suspension looks like. Got any pics? Without mud :laugh3:
You got me, i hardly have any pics without mud, maybe this pic shows a bit of it.

a.jpg

You can see the left arm hanging down, the right arm is still in. The mounts for the lowers are a bit higher than usually and the right upper arm goes to a fairly high mount in the middle of the tube. Between the upper mount and the spring is the combined track bar/steering ram mount.

YELLAHEEP said:
....But I'm getting sick of hearing about people bitching about mass produced parts breaking when it's not being used for the application it's intended for........Put your self in the vendor's place..... Would YOU feel it reasonable to warranty your custom made pieces if they were being used in a manner other than intended....It's crap like this that shuts down good businesses.

When was the last time you heard about an ORGS or Currie part ripping apart at the weld......anyone........hello, is this thing on?

Junk is junk plain & simple.

-jb

the bottom line once again is that stuff is way to thin for use on such a high stress part

rangerjoe2001 said:
the bottom line once again is that stuff is way to thin for use on such a high stress part
about 3 months too late... Hasta

again.......the guy makes poor qaulity stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back