• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RuffStuff Specialties diff covers?

xj-boonie said:
Sorry, wasn't clear enough in my post - the bolts didn't break, the allen socket did, or at least the Crafstman brand one did. I was torquing them down per lube-locker's suggestion - somewhere around 30 ft-lbs I think.

I did mess up one bolts allen socket, but I think there were 4 extra so it wasn't a problem. :)

You've answered one of my questions. I have ordered a set of Lube Lockers and will reinstall my awesome Ruff Stuff diff cover when it arrives. I was not sure what to torque my countersunk bolts to, but now I know.

rocknxj said:
You've answered one of my questions. I have ordered a set of Lube Lockers and will reinstall my awesome Ruff Stuff diff cover when it arrives. I was not sure what to torque my countersunk bolts to, but now I know.

LubeLockers rule - there are two torque sequences, the first pattern you go thru and tighten to 15 ft/lbs, the second pattern you go to like 30-35 ft/lbs (as was stated above). I've never had a leak using these, and I've been able to re-use them 3+ times.

With that said, I just ordered some new LLs to use with my RuffStuff covers that I think I'll be ordering today :D

add that to the "I'm coming home to-do list!!!"

Ba-Riedo said:
So if the countersunk bolts loosen up is it just better to get the regular bolts?

-Alex

I haven't experienced them loosening up. I was just surprised the Craftsman allen socket kept breaking on me, till I went with a cheaper tool.

Muad'Dib said:
I had the same problem with the allen tool breaking or twisting when tightening... but thats a tool issue not a ruffstuff issue.

Out of curiousity however, what are you guys using to tighten the fill plug??

Head of a bolt, then double nutting it so you can use it for tightening.

C85D4x4 said:
Head of a bolt, then double nutting it so you can use it for tightening.

X2, it is a 9/16" allen wrench so just take a 3/8x18(9/16" head) bolt and double some nuts up on it, works like a charm!

x2,while my 2nd replacement cover still leaks a little,it is stout!And Dan's willingness to make things right is by far outstanding!

On a side note,I think it would be as awsome thread(poll) to rate the vendors on their parts and service!

Example:
RE-Parts excellent/service questionable
Rusty's-parts questionable/service good
DPG-parts vary/service excellent
TW-parts excellent/service "hands downs" excellent

RCP Phx said:
x2,while my 2nd replacement cover still leaks a little,it is stout!And Dan's willingness to make things right is by far outstanding!

On a side note,I think it would be as awsome thread(poll) to rate the vendors on their parts and service!

Example:
RE-Parts excellent/service questionable
Rusty's-parts questionable/service even worse
DPG-parts excellent/service incredibly excellent
TW-parts excellent/service "hands downs" excellent

Fixed it for you...

im sold

no, I was asking how long the shipping delay was normally.

Anayway, got it yesterday and it looks good, it took about 3 weeks. I would buy another one

where do you get lube lockers my 8.25 is alittle leaky after my ruff stuff cover... other than that it is the best cover i have ever used or even seen very heavy duty!!!

POLAR_JEEP_04 said:
where do you get lube lockers my 8.25 is alittle leaky after my ruff stuff cover... other than that it is the best cover i have ever used or even seen very heavy duty!!!
I got mine from Jason at JeepinOutfitters. I haven't installed them yet, but I'm pretty confident that they should fix the seepy bolt holes I'm having with my countersunk D30 cover.

Muad'Dib said:
I had the same problem with the allen tool breaking or twisting when tightening... but thats a tool issue not a ruffstuff issue.

Out of curiousity however, what are you guys using to tighten the fill plug??

could try using a countersunk bolt with a larger size allen cut to gain tool strength:wave:

Back