• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RuffStuff Specialties diff covers?

Yep, I can vouch for Dan and his products. I ordered one online for my front 60 and he called me back within minutes with a few questions about my order and to give me some advice on welding it up.

I've abused it far beyond a simple diff cover and it held up 100%. I will be getting one for my rear 14ff shortly.

axle1.JPG

Thanks Dan. I know that the Rock Crusher D30 guard interfered with the trackbar at stock height. Good to hear that this one doesn't have any problems.

I'm running one on my rear D44 and they are beefy. If you can dent one, you'll have bigger issues to worry about.

This being said, mine leaked diff fluid through a welded seam when installed. I contacted RuffStuff via email and voicemail when the leak was discovered, never got a return call or email. I pulled it off, tried to locate the culprit seam and reweld it from the inside. It still weeps a little fluid, so I'll try again on the next fluid change........

They build tough stuff, but Customer Service needs some improvement. I don't think a $100 diff cover should leak..............:dunno:

XJEEPER said:
I'm running one on my rear D44 and they are beefy. If you can dent one, you'll have bigger issues to worry about.

This being said, mine leaked diff fluid through a welded seam when installed. I contacted RuffStuff via email and voicemail when the leak was discovered, never got a return call or email. I pulled it off, tried to locate the culprit seam and reweld it from the inside. It still weeps a little fluid, so I'll try again on the next fluid change........

They build tough stuff, but Customer Service needs some improvement. I don't think a $100 diff cover should leak..............:dunno:

Try a phone call, we sometimes get 400 junk emails a day.....No it should not, we can replace it.

I buy these covers from Dan and the only issue I have seen is with the Rubicon 44. The cover hits the air line inside. Very minor and an easy fix but something to watch. Good all around product.

I'd like to see a profile shot comparing it to the stock cover.

How much further does it stick out than the stock cover? I have very little clearance to spare and I'm already looking at sleaving my tie rod.

cdhowell said:
I buy these covers from Dan and the only issue I have seen is with the Rubicon 44. The cover hits the air line inside. Very minor and an easy fix but something to watch. Good all around product.

2 Months ago we changed the cover for that, it seems the '06 or '07 Rubicon air lines changed and now come out at a different angle, we made the flap 1/8" higher to avoid it.

Gravel Maker said:
Try a phone call, we sometimes get 400 junk emails a day.....No it should not, we can replace it.

Thanks for taking the time to explain about your operation and why I got no response before. Thanks for sending out a replacement cover as well, I'll welcome it's arrival.

xjtrailrider said:
Anybody running them? Do they hold up well in the rocks? I'm going to order the 8.25/D-30 covers with the drain plug and countersunk bolts. I plan on shaving the 8.25 and I know the stock cover is gonna peel and I haven't seen any guards that I'm as impressed with as I am these covers.

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/chrysler-825-375-one-piece-diff-cover-p-152.html?osCsid=ecd9d1f9e7160a2b51490c78d760e0e9

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/dana-30-375-one-piece-diff-cover-p-151.html

I might as well throw my 2 bits in too:

Don't ask, just buy them. You won't be disappointed, I wasn't.

I got mine today, that was fast and they even came through the snail mail. My mail lady was glad to see me home when she got out of the Grumman to carry them up the driveway, their heavy fo a lady to carry!

Dana 30 stock covers are tough but they do not touch these things, just look!
diffcovers1un4.jpg

diffcover2aj8.jpg

The 8.25 cover, this is going on a 4.10 geared, Yukon shaft, Lincoln Locked rear for the trail rig.
diffcover3zm1.jpg

That 8.25 cover is flippin' huge compared to the D30!

I'd love to be able to pick up a pair of these right now, they definately look to be the best out there, especially for the price, but Christmas has my wallet all twisted up and empty.....

I got around to putting these beasts on today, I used the tranny jack to get them into place! JK!

They fit like a glove. Well built and high quality.

A couple of pieces of advice;

My covers have the recessed bolts and drain plugs, I chased the threads on both plugs with taps(5/16"x18 for the drain plug and a 3/4" NPT for the fill plug) and I chased the bolt holes on the axle housing with a 5/16" x 18 tap to clean them up good. The new stove bolts are a tad bit longer than the stockers so if there is any build up of RTV or rust in them this is a good time to clean them up.

Get a good quality 3/16" allen bit to put the bolts in with. You will need a 3/4" allen key for the fill plug as well.

I glass shot blasted them to ruff them up for some shinny red paint.

diffcover4uj9.jpg

diffcover5ui0.jpg

xjtrailrider said:
You will need a 3/4" allen key for the fill plug as well.

Correction!

The fill plug is a 9/16" allen key/wrench, the fill plug is a 3/4"pipe plug. Its been a long weekend of wrenching!

Back