• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon XJLA First kit install pictures

I gotta go with vintagespeed at least 10 mountiong bolts to the unibody for a bolt on kit. The 10 or so structural pinch seam bolts beat 6 sheet metal screws. Why hasnt someone filled the bolt-on, high-clearance longarm kit market yet? MY .02
Mike

ECKSJAY said:
Buddy of mine did that, too. Full length TJ arms when they first came out. Pounded the drivetrain tunnel to push his t-case and tranny up...then made a x-member/skid that's even with the bottom of the frame. His arms are inboard of the frame and tucked way up. From the side you can't even see them. :)
I plan on doing something similar.

Yeah, that sounds like crash's latest creation. I would LOVE to have a flat crossmember, but I haven't had too many problems dragging it over rocks as it is. I just did the surgery to push the atlas up into the tunnel. Totally ugly but functional.

SeanP

SeanP said:
Yeah, that sounds like crash's latest creation. I would LOVE to have a flat crossmember, but I haven't had too many problems dragging it over rocks as it is. I just did the surgery to push the atlas up into the tunnel. Totally ugly but functional.

SeanP
that sounds like what CRASH used to have, his latest creation is totally custom 3-link, nothing to do with radius arms or RE stuff (except the coils).

for all the concern about the "rocker protection" not being able to be attached and how it seems that most of the replys about this subject seem as if they have some sort of clue about wheeling, I thought that maybe knows a bit about customizing and somebody would mention cutting a notch out of the slider rails in the area that would generaly attach at the pinch seam( that is not available because of the RE belly pan) and bolt or weld the sliders on. I welded my sliders on at the pinch seam and have 0 problems. Any person interested in pictures I will gladly send some out. I love my XJ and the RE kit has exceded my hopes in every aspect...handles great on the road and is unbelievable off road.

outfitterguy said:
for all the concern about the "rocker protection" not being able to be attached and how it seems that most of the replys about this subject seem as if they have some sort of clue about wheeling, I thought that maybe knows a bit about customizing and somebody would mention cutting a notch out of the slider rails in the area that would generaly attach at the pinch seam( that is not available because of the RE belly pan) and bolt or weld the sliders on. I welded my sliders on at the pinch seam and have 0 problems. Any person interested in pictures I will gladly send some out. I love my XJ and the RE kit has exceded my hopes in every aspect...handles great on the road and is unbelievable off road.

Why dont you post some pictures of it offroad??? Lets see how this kit works in the "real" world....

Joe

these are a few pics on the first run through the Rubicon Trail, open front and rear with 307's... I did have some minor rubbing and I needed a little tug to get through one of the nasty sections (I am locked up now). I'll send some pics of it on my XJ on my second run to the Rubicon if you would like to see the mods I have since done.

101_0137.jpg

101_0136.jpg

P1010003.jpg

P1010005.jpg

you know I changed the gearing when I put the lockers in...did you want to purchase the 307's? I'll give you a good deal. I have heard that 307's are king..

outfitterguy said:
you know I changed the gearing when I put the lockers in...did you want to purchase the 307's? I'll give you a good deal. I have heard that 307's are king..

If you include $100.00 in the box when you ship them, I'll take them! :D

hinkley

What size are those tires?? They look like 33x10.50x15...are they??? Keep us informed on how those axle brackets hold up to the torsion bar twisting motion....:)

Joe

The brackets are still holding fine. Since the time I took the photos of my Jeep to now, I have added some Skid Row control arm bracket protection. I smaked the bracket on the passenger side good enough to want to protect the well being of what I have left in strength. The bracket protection is pretty slick, just remove the control arm bolt for the main monting and a U bolt does the rest of the work...cheap and simple. I am building a new front axle and will be using the Rubicon Express brackets( I have seen them and they look pretty tough) as I put it together....high pinion 44, its gonna be sweet! Back to the long arm subject I never did hear back from the guy that said you couldn't put rocker protection on a XJLA Rubicon kit.

oh yea! The tires are BFG 33 10.50, soon to be swapped for 35 12.50 to better fit the new 7.5 coils I put in the front....more clearance is good!

outfitterguy said:
Back to the long arm subject I never did hear back from the guy that said you couldn't put rocker protection on a XJLA Rubicon kit.

I'ld still like to see pictures of those sliders actually being used.

Back