• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon trail info

In a year like this, we'd likely need a barge to cross the first two streams. But if everyone doesn't mind a little adventure, there are ways across. :mrgreen:

We can do Barrett and Con, unless the gate isn't open on Barrett. Usually it's not open until July because the USFS likes to prevent erosion problems up there.

We can play it by ear and keep an eye on www.dreamflows.com

Any which way, a good time will be had by all!

CRASH

I am doing a little research on the Rubicon and have printed out some good information. I have found information on the Fordyce trail as well. However, I cannot find anything on the Barrett trail everyone keeps referring to. Is this trail commonly known as something else?

I want to put some info packets together for the guys that are coming along with me. I want to make sure they know what we are doing, where we are going, and what to expect.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric
2MUD-IN
Midwest Jeepthing
95 XJ/10" lift/36 TSL/Atlas 4.3/HP front 9" 35 spline/9" rear 35 spline/4.88s/locked both ends/long arms/rear coils

Are you guys going to be able to do this in the middle of the week? I figured this was the best time to do the Rubicon...less people on the trail. Plus, if we leave Friday night after work, we should be there late Sunday night.

Eric
2MUD-IN
Midwest Jeepthing
95 XJ/10" lift/36 TSL/Atlas 4.3/HP front 9" 35 spline/9" rear 35 spline/4.88s/locked both ends/long arms/rear coils

I think some of us could run during the week, at least part of the week, anyway. My job is very unpredictable in nature, so I won't know what my schedule will be like until like a month before hand. I generally have Friday's off, though.

You will not find much on Barrett, and people in the know will tell you the trail is closed.

It is not closed.

There is a very concerted effort by people who love this trail to keep it VERY low key. I can tell you exactly where it is on a map, and how to get there (it's in the same general area as the 'Con) if you want to know.

It is a very difficult trail that requires 33's at least, and one good locker. The rocks are different up there, much larger, more rounded rocks than you find on the 'Con. The trail begins at the aforementioned gate at Wrights Lake and it ends at Barrett Lake which sits at about 8500 ft in elevation. The lake itself sits at the edge of the wilderness area, so there are very few people around. This is not a loop trail, there is one way in and one way out.

It is very fun.

CRASH

Thanks for the links. After looking at these pics, I want to move this trip up...to like...next week :)

I look forward to seeing some of you guys in June.

Eric
2MUD-IN
Midwest Jeepthing

Back