• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon Mid-Week - August 1,2,3

crawldaddy

NAXJA Member # 1491
This was going to get posted as a Sierra Fest Pre-Run, but I guess that won't work now that there's no Sierra Fest.

Here's the deal:

Jeeper's Jamboree gets a (very expensive) "Special Use Permit" that closes the Rubicon Trail to the public for three weekends with setup and teardown before and after.

The Rubicon Trail is closed to the public from (I can't find the exact dates) about July 24th to about August 8th.

So, the Rubicon is closed, but I have a brother who's been wheeling in Colorado for the past thirty years - 200 mountain passes or so - been on the cover of off-road rags more times than I can count (before the hobby got really big), knows plenty of other old timers, and he's coming to California for my daughter's wedding on July 29th....and he says to me: "yea, I've always wanted to do the Rubicon at least once before I die" (he's a smoker, so he might do that).

Which brings me to this rather interesting opportunity. I made a few phone calls, and the nice folks at the JeepersJamboree.com were kind enough to allow me to take a few friends through the trail during their closure, on August 1,2,3 (Tues/Wed/Thurs) when they have nobody on the trail. Things do start to heat-up on Thursday with the Jeep Jamboree starting that day, but if we're at Rubicon Springs by then, they're good with that. I've got that in writing.

It's a mid-week thing, and most of us have to work, except for those of us who ALWAYS have to work weekends, but I thought I would toss it out there just in case anyone has the time off...speak up.

This invitation is open to NAXJA Sierra Chapter members and their Invited guests. "Their invited guests" means that NAXJA SC members are welcome to extend this invitation to guests who accompany them either in their own or the member's rig(s).

I figure I'll be lucky if more than two members can take advantage of this, and I sure would not want anyone who can do a mid-week to stay away simply because his rig is not an XJ...so other types are also welcome.

Normal safety and spares equipment requirements apply (please review the recommendations on the Sierra Fest main pages) because it's just stupid to go unprepared (as I have learned the hard way).

This is a dis-organized event. There is no fee. There is no T-shirt. There is no dash plaque.

We've been talking about having a kick-off BYO BBQ at a place I've rented in South Lake Tahoe on July 31st (the night before), but that's a lot of extra driving (4hrs RT) for folks coming from the valley. A better alternative is to camp at Loon Lake North Camp on the 31st, and party our buns off there before we kick-off on Tuesday.

Any takers?

Crawldaddy out

Crawldaddy,
Thanks again for the awesome invitation you've extended:exclamati This is an excellent opportunity you've have for me and the NAXJA SC members to do the Rubicon Trail. For me this will be my first ride over the trail and I look forward to our trek. Years ago I started building up my XJ with the CON in mind. Here's my chance to give the rig I've built and my driving skill the ultimate test.:gee:

Unfortunately I won't be able to make it to the BBQ in S. Lake Tahoe. I was planning on crashing at our family cabin in S. Lake Tahoe but it is rented so I'll be hanging out with my friend John at his place in Georgetown prior to the trip. We will drive up from there and camp at Loon Lake North Camp on July 31st. John and I will start the party there Monday afternoon anticipating your arrival. Look forward to seeing everyone in the group Tuesday. We are gonna have a good time!party1:

XJCreeper said:
We will drive up from there and camp at Loon Lake North Camp on July 31st. John and I will start the party there Monday afternoon anticipating your arrival. Look forward to seeing everyone in the group Tuesday. We are gonna have a good time!party1:

Yep, I think the BBQ is probably out. The only reason to not start on Monday night is the other relatives we have at the house in SLT...but we're related to them, so they will forgive us ;-)

We will probably see you on Monday late afternoon. There are a few great camping places on the east edge of the slabs down by the back of Loon Lake, so if time permits, we may decide to trek down that way if we arrive by 4pm or so.

Heading out later today - here's our plan:

We will leave SLT on Monday at about 4pm to arrive at NorthCamp at about 6pm. If anyone arrives before us please snag a few camp sites. I like the camps facing the lake, but they're usually the first to go. The two inside the driveway circle facing the lake are nice enough. #6 is one of them.

We recently learned that two other events are happening this week that may motivate us to make our trek in two days instead of three.

Reno's Hot August Nights, http://www.hotaugustnights.net/

and the 34th Annual Lake Tahoe Concours d'Elegance and Wooden Boat Week http://www.tahoeyc.com/concours.php

My friend Jerry (last pix in my Phil's Rubicon blog) is a wooden boat builder and an apprentice judge for this event. He has offered private viewing including engine runs on Thursday if we're out by then. He may also show-up for camping on Monday evening.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=832058&postcount=58

We have three cars in our family - an XJ and two Samurais.
XJCreeper has one XJ,
and another guy is bringing a 6x6 Pinzgauer.
That makes five trucks.

If anyone else wants to play hookie and join us, please do. Just show-up at NorthCamp (end of Icehouse road) anytime before Tuesday at 9am.

Crawldaddy out.

Thanks for the invite to all our chapter member's. I wish I could go, you guys have a great week up there.:cool:

Last edited:
Got the cage welded up and and the locker in and I'm loading the XJCreeper. I look forward to seeing everyone there and having a great time. I'll shooting to be there Monday morning or early afternoon. I'll snag some of the good sites before they are gone.

Thanks Crawldaddy and all who went for an truly awesome time. I'll never forget the Rubicon experience and will hold it close to my heart until the next time I can return. Thanks again for sharing the experience with me.
Rubi.JPG

rubi2.JPG

rubi3.JPG

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/davidjudkins/XJ/Rubi3.JPG

Back