• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rough staeting

Xjnk2500

NAXJA Forum User
Alright first post here although I have gleaned a LOT of info from this place! I have a 96 Cherokee 4.0, it was a auto but I swapped in a ax15 from my last Cherokee but never removed the tranny module or anything as its been running great! (As soon as I modded the neutral safety switch). The other day I left my headlights on at work and when I came out it was DEAD! So I got a jump and didn't give it another thought. Well since then instead of starting right up it struggles for a few seconds till it finally smoothes out. I checked for codes and nothing came up (at least other than my nss and bank 1 sensor 2 O2 codes). Any ideas on what would cause this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

O2 sensor codes would be a good place to start. How can you diagnose and fix a new problem when there are several existing problems that may cause or contribute to the new problem ? Once you have all that taken care of, perform some preventative maintenance on the start/charge systems and have the battery tested.

The first o2 is good. The back one is unplugged because my cat was going out so I just removed it a replaced it with a pipe (a few months ago). Oh it also got a new cap, rotor, and wires last fall. The battery doesn't drop voltage much during cranking (watching on aftermarket gauge) though I should actually get it checked.

Well the tester they used at o'rielys looked like a carbon pile style job and the aftermarket V gauge I have doesn't drop below 10v while starting but that's the best I have access to. I know that it's not a definitive test but I haven't had reason to doubt the battery till now

Back