• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rock Krawler 3-Link Install

Are the krawler joints rebuiltable?

Also, are you guys able to put grease in them? I have never been able to get them to take grease for some reason. Is there a trick to it?

RalphXJ said:
Are the krawler joints rebuiltable?

Also, are you guys able to put grease in them? I have never been able to get them to take grease for some reason. Is there a trick to it?
The guys at TRC did a nice little writeup on how to grease the krawler joints awhile back when I had the same question. I'm too lazy to try and find the post. Oh, and they are rebuildable because you'll pretty much have to take them apart to grease them.

If you don't take the joint apart (which is really easy to do), then they will squeek a lot. Take them apart and pack with a lot of grease. Problem solved.
-Matt

XJ_Jeeper01 said:
If you don't take the joint apart (which is really easy to do), then they will squeek a lot. Take them apart and pack with a lot of grease. Problem solved.
-Matt
Ditto he is on the money! also you will need some locktight to keep th retainer from loosening. Thee noise that comes from them is always due to them being dry.

Thanks for all the help guys. I got it back on the road the day after the last post. Here are a few pics of the build with the new "frame rails" and rk 3-link. I was thinking about doing a writeup on greasing the crawler joints. I found that you dont have to actually take them apart, just take one retainer off and carefully hit the ball to seperate the bushings, then the grease has no problem getting to where it needs to be. If you dont loosen them up first, you can pump grease till the cows come home and it will still be dry between the ball and the bushings. I also installed larger zirks because I broke 2 of the crap ones they come with just on the instal. Click this link for the web album of the project:
http://picasaweb.google.com/Jeppler3/LongArmsFrameRails

IMGP2818.jpg

IMGP2822.jpg

IMGP2821.jpg

IMGP2820.jpg

ENJOY!

-Jerry

Yeah I was thinking I would build a new tcase xmember that has way more beef than the stock piece that will help to tie them into eachother. I also covered up the hole in the frame where the stock transfercase skid used to go so I think im going to incorperate a skid into the crosmember as well. Pretty soon I will be installing longer rear leafs (because I can now) by welding the brackets onto the new rails. I still have to weld my rocker guards back on because I obviously had to take them off to put on the frame rails. I can tell a huge difference with the frame rails on. Even the first day when I only had them tack welded in place and still on the factory short arms I noticed way less squeeking when going over bumpy stuff. Even though I spent probably 30+ hours on this last weekend (while having a cold), it was well worth it.
-Jerry

Last edited:
JMO4yaXJ said:
What material did you use to make the frame rails ?

x2

I picked up some 3x3x1/8 angle to use, It looks like thats what you used as well?

Blue XJ said:
x2

I picked up some 3x3x1/8 angle to use, It looks like thats what you used as well?

I just finished doing the SAME thing yesterday. I have yet to install the arms but I used some 3x3x3/16 angle for the sleeve. I'm surprised how different the XJ feels with just the angle on the frame rails. I can't wait to put the new arms on next week.

looks good guys i am going to post mine when i get them in the next few weeks...unfortunatly if you saw my previous post i have the grand cherokee rk arm mount so i am going to use so angle on the rails and then beef em up some but should not be too much of a problem

I agree with others, very good thread. Quick question though, I was just wondering how you get the upper control arm bracket next to the frame underneath the the fuel lines and such?

hey guys i just installed mine and i have a grinding/ clunking on the front end... when i slow down and stop it stops but is in unison with the driveshaft and gears... so when i sart going to about 15 mph i can hear it everytime the ds turns if that makes any sense... how do i check my pinion angle? do i need a new front driveshaft? the install stretched my driveshaft about an inch and a half out... its not noisy but is sounds like my gears are grinding in the front and is kind of concerning... it is different than driveline vibrations... should i take my front DS off and see if that makes a difference? oh and i ended up with a 3 link for a grand cherokee that i modified slighlty but making the 3rd link about 4 inches shorter... the arms are about 32-33 eye to eye so i had to compensate with the brackets, etc... i am just wondering if it stretched my front end to far out... i still have room to bring all 3 links inwards which would bring the axle in... the springs and shocks look ok... i definatly need an alignment though... anyways i will post pics this evening...thanks.

Thats weird. My front end is noisier than hell. All sorts of knocking and clunking noises..Rides better though. been street driving it for about a month now.

i just installed the new kit about a month ago and at first the joints were noisy. i took them apart and packed them with grease and no more noise. i think im gonna try to install larger zircs so i dont need to take them apart to grease.

I am going through the same issue. I did take off my driveline and it went away. Now i am fine tuning it with the upper link. I will be making it longer tonight (tilt the axel forward) again.

ahh ok i will check the top link and see i a need to push it forward some... i guess it is binding the driveshaft some

Back