• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RigidCo Installed

I love rigid because the quality, the way they mount and the fact you can add axrtas to te standard bumper like the tire carrier or new loner endcaps.

BTW Terry supposedly has a 2 month lead time now.

I thought the same thing before I bought and installed mine, but the tire carrier really isnt that bad, and you can still order them with the reverse lights.

so i finished installing mine tonight and it went together perfect....the only thing i noticed is the tire carrier tries to droop a little when swung open with NO tire, when i put my 35 up there with steel wheel whats it going to do?? does your's do this at all?

DaveKerwin said:
The swing out is kinda tall and ugly, reverse lights disappeared too. Otherwise looks really good.

You don't have to order it, I didn't. I did ge tthe longer end caps to finish off the bumper though. You can add the carrier later on.

woodkrawler said:
so i finished installing mine tonight and it went together perfect....the only thing i noticed is the tire carrier tries to droop a little when swung open with NO tire, when i put my 35 up there with steel wheel whats it going to do?? does your's do this at all?

I know there is some info on this on Jeepin.com, I think Rugged Jeep and a few others have the bumper.

ZachMan said:
I know there is some info on this on Jeepin.com, I think Rugged Jeep and a few others have the bumper.

Try to tighten the swing arm down even tighter. Sometimes the stacked bearings can have gaps between them and cause this. Terry suggested it and it worked for me.

53guy said:
Try to tighten the swing arm down even tighter. Sometimes the stacked bearings can have gaps between them and cause this. Terry suggested it and it worked for me.

nik,

i already thought of that - the swing arm is so tight i have to force it move. there is NO droop at the spindle/bearing assembly. instead you the whole end cap and end of the center section of the bumper flexes? thats again with NO tire or wheel on there. does yours do that? its not a lot and maybe im just being anal but heck for $750.00 i thought i would be more solid.

woodkrawler said:
nik,

i already thought of that - the swing arm is so tight i have to force it move. there is NO droop at the spindle/bearing assembly. instead you the whole end cap and end of the center section of the bumper flexes? thats again with NO tire or wheel on there. does yours do that? its not a lot and maybe im just being anal but heck for $750.00 i thought i would be more solid.

I thought the same thing as well. Try to tighten it tight enough to where you can't move it, see if you can seat the bearings and then loosen it up. The end cap on mine does flex some although not without a tire on it. I asked Terry about the flex and his explanation was that because of where they are, ie end caps, they were designed to be flexiable and give some so that your frame wasn't damaged in a collision with something, but that your bumper would absorb it. So either you have a super stiff arm or you have a cracked frame from impacts. Oh well, you'll learn to live with the flex. I have been pleased with it but I think the tire could be lowered a bit and i'd be just as happy.

53guy said:
I thought the same thing as well. Try to tighten it tight enough to where you can't move it, see if you can seat the bearings and then loosen it up. The end cap on mine does flex some although not without a tire on it. I asked Terry about the flex and his explanation was that because of where they are, ie end caps, they were designed to be flexiable and give some so that your frame wasn't damaged in a collision with something, but that your bumper would absorb it. So either you have a super stiff arm or you have a cracked frame from impacts. Oh well, you'll learn to live with the flex. I have been pleased with it but I think the tire could be lowered a bit and i'd be just as happy.

i think it will be fine, i just need to get used to it. im going to try and tighten the bearings down more and see if that helps.... im just glad to hear yours flexes as well. otherwise the bumper is awsome! as for the location of the tire, Terry told me last week that had made the tire carriers shorter now so it moved the tire down some??

woodkrawler said:
as for the location of the tire, Terry told me last week that had made the tire carriers shorter now so it moved the tire down some??

Yeah, because I called him with my gas mileage results and showed him the data. The short of it is that the carrier with a 35" tire sticks up above the roof about 2" and lowers gas mileage by about 2.5 mpg above about 45mph. I took my tire off and bam, just like that i'm getting 16-17 mpg where I was getting about 14 average before. I sent him the data and he said he'd toy with the idea of lowering the tire some and asked me to play with it a bit. I haven't had the time yet. Did yours get made any shorter?

Back