• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rig owner builds

I'm sure you've posted them before, but what are the specs on the new build?

I don't think I've posted much about it here. It started as a '93 4 banger, 5 speed YJ. Now it's got a Chevy Vortec 4.3L/4l60e, and the dana 44's from my old XJ. My own 4 link rear and 3 link front designs with FOA coilovers on the front and TJ springs out back. Lots of frame mods and tube, and a full cage. If I had more time to finish it, I would have built more of my own armor, but I'll be using Genright and Savvy parts for that. I'll post up some pictures when its all done.

Last edited:
To help get things back on track a little bit.
I do all of my own work on my rig and fab everything I can, or at least that it makes sense to.

Front bumper and grill guard all home made (holds 5 gal of compressed air).
Rear bumper (holds 7 gal of compressed air).
Rock sliders with 4 arms and 20 attachments at the seams.
adj. UCA's home made with JJ's at frame end and stock bushing at axle end.
adj. LCA's home made with JJ's at frame end and stock bushing at axle end.
adj. TB home made with Heims at both ends (above the axle brackets all home made and frame mount home made).
over the knuckle inverted Y steering home made with Heims.
Hybrid Cage designed with expert help from family and friends and built with expert help from friends at home.
Rear leaf pack bastard pack home made with a mixture of 3 sets of springs.
Rear bump stops home made.
Rear shock mounts moved up on axle.
Front bump stops home made.
Rear storage shelf home made.
Rear storage drawer home made.
Tube air intake home made.
OBA from A/C conversion.
rotating (4 Hella) light mount on top of halo home made. (Also known as Blazing Sun of direct blindness in TTCW teammate's Rear View Mirror)
Custom front seats modified to fit.
Front skids on axle.
Numerous gear installs on this Jeep and others. (I have been very happy with my Yukon gears and Johns install on 1 set of Yukons for me).
HD 231 with Chevy upgrades from junk yard and short shaft kit.
Modified yokes front and rear to accept U-bolts instead of straps.
My own tire and wheel installs.
Rock lights installed.
H4 conversion installed.
5 point harnesses installed.
> Rocker Replacement square tube - installed on Thrashed Metal
I am sure I am missing something, but you get the idea.
Michael

PS. Scott, although I did modify that rear D44 cover I don't want to take credit for the bulk of the work that "JB Weld/OD XJ/MEGAWATT" did. Plus his fab skills are MUCH better than mine!

I added a couple :viking:
Jeremy!!! How many User names have you had?

Someone needs to post up about GI John's Rig as well. His build and the revamp.

I payed some-one to change my oil a couple of times and I feel kind of guilty about that.

Fabricated and installed frame stiffeners.
Installed TNT y-link.
8.8 swap and relocated shock mounts.
Installed a Dodge Van main leaf/RE bastard pack for an awesome shackle angle, still doesn't flex.
Fabricated and installed cut-out 2x6 rockers.
Gear setup front and rear with lockers.
99 intake install.
EV6 injector research, junkyard scavenge and installation.
Slip yoke eliminator install.
3 clutch installations within 1.5 years :dunce:
Fabricated beefier passenger side motor mount which utilizes two more bolts in the block.
installed MORE motor mounts.

Just got these new toys:
cavalier.jpg
HydroBender009.jpg

Guess what's next.

Between you and Opie you may give Michael a run for his money on the "Built not Bought" award.

I am pretty certain that both of them have much more time into their XJ's than I have in mine. the difference is I still own mine and it looks like and XJ ;)

Metal Thrasher said:
I added a couple
Thanks Tracey. I forgot a couple also. Painted both inside and out and tube fenders both front and rear.

I have lost count as to how many lift kits I have installed on others XJ's.

Michael

Built my first 6 inch lift my junior year in highschool on a 87 xj wagoneer. Made my own drop brackets, bump stops, turned my own coil spacers, made my own lift blocks, then changed that and made my own shackles, even made my own u bolts. Then made my own tube front bumper.

After that i decided to try out my own wishbone 3 link. Custom crossmember, long arms, bent up and welded the wishbone, custom made all the brackets. Took it up to 8 inches with the original blocks, shackles and add a leaf then bought the front coils. Welded my own extended driveline on a lathe.

After high school i got a 1990 xj and swapped most of the parts but switched to a convential 3 link with a panhard. Made my own panhard, and mounts. Ran the uca on the passenger side to the stock lca frame mount. I didnt like the geometry so i started designing a new 3 link setup where all the links were mounted at the crossmember. CNC plasma cut out a front winch bumper, bent it on the pressbreak and welded it up.

two weeks later i rolled that jeep. So i finished up the 3 link designs and started to look for another jeep.

Picked up another 1990 in excellent shape except a blown engine. So i started rebuilding the engine then decided to build a stroker. Did all the machine work on the engine at the machine shop i work at. bored and honed the cyclinders, decked the block, valve job and so on. decided later to put the 99 intake on it so i did some porting to match up the intake to the older renix head.

We want the Elbe pics and video, John.

-Alex

I took three pictures. One of Conner sleeping in the back seat of the truck, one of a CJ7 I pulled out of a puddle, and one of the mountain. I was too busy with a huge smile on my face and my foot mashed to the floor. :D I'm sure there will be a couple pics pop up eventually on NWW.

Back