• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reusing brick and/or cinderblock

I forgot to mention that it's not going to be some fancy type of shop, it'll just be 4 walls and a basic, flat, sloping roof. No need to get too fancy.

This is what I figure:
A standard 8x8x16 block has a surface area of ~.88sq ft
So for every 7 sq ft of wall, I'll need 8 blocks
If I build a shop that's 20'L x 7'H x 6'D then I'll need 368 blocks

I wonder what the odds are that I can salvage 370 standard sized blocks with no concrete/rebar inside. haha.

Of course, if I bump the depth to 7' instead of 6', I'll need somewhere like 430 blocks. These numbers don't count window and door openings, though.

Remember you need to account for breakage, waste, etc. Especially if you don't build the wall to be exactly as long as a certain number of blocks and end up cutting them at the end of the wall.

Along wih building a proper footing with rebar and concrete.

If that building is demo'd and it's made of block there won't be anything useable left over when they are done.

x2 the existing structure should ALREADY have rebar and concrete throughout, thereby making it very difficult to scavenge any block. The only way I could see this working would be to saw cut large sections out, and then dowel them back together before re-assembly. In any case, this would require some sort of equipment to assemble, and something much larger than an XJ to transport.

Could you just get a bunch of metal cabinets from the hospital, and build the walls out of them? Talk about a toolbox.:shocked:

bigalpha said:
I wonder what the odds are that I can salvage 370 standard sized blocks with no concrete/rebar inside. haha.

I'd bet that there's a better chance of you flying me out there and back 1st class to build it for you, buying the tools I'll need, and putting me up in a swanky hotel until it's done.

I'd bet that there's a better chance of you flying me out there and back 1st class to build it for you, buying the tools I'll need, and putting me up in a swanky hotel until it's done.

I don't know about that - there's no swanky hotels here :roflmao:

Back