• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reputation head rebuild machine shop IE

Russ Pottenger

Whatever.

Don't go to Russ unless you want engine/head work that is done extremely well and makes great power. :gee: Personally I'd rather just get a head that's probably cracked and has had the valve seats massaged with an old dremel.

Make sure no valve guide knurling, only sleeves.

You're going to have that chiseled into your headstone, aren't you?

I've seen too many rigs screwed up because of this. It is cheaper but only lasts about 10k miles. I've never seen a long block or off the shelf head that didn't have the guides knurled. Yes it happened to me some years ago and I still carry a grudge. Hasta

Thanks for all the info guys. I have contacted Arrow machine and they quoted for the valve job (I drop off the head) almost the price of the new Odessa 0630. I have 7120 on my XJ and recently it run hot and the combustion leak test showing some leaking of the engine to the cooling system.
I called Odessa and they offer the new 0630 casting replace for my 7120 and improved the cracking. Has anyone deal with Odessa? Any pinion?
I also tested the compression of all 6 cylinders and it shows 125-140 PSI, the book said between 155-180 PSI so I dont know if I need to rebuild the bottom end or not.

not sure why you would want to replace a 7120 with a 0630, but for my 2 cents, russ is the one and only way to go.

Hi Willy51,
Here is a little story about my XJ.
I have it about 6 month ago and it ran normal until few weeks ago I am experience with the engine running little hot. I removed mech fan, stock electrical fan replaced with 3x10" electical fans 1500cfm/ea, engine still running hot 220-240. I then replaced OEM thermostat, water pump and 3 core all metal CSF radiator even the radiator removed also all metal and its similar size as the CSF. Engince still running hot. I used the combustion leak test from Napa and see the color changed to green not yellow(this is not a anti freeze green) so I think it might have slow leak from the engine side to the cooling system. There is no oil in the cooling neither antifreeze in the oil, no white smog on the exhaust no leaking antifreeze on the ground. I also added the trans cooler and the engine has 255k but no oil leak. Any input appreciated.
I also did a compression test to day and it shows
Dry and the engine is cold.
1- 130
2- 130
3- 140
4- 145
5- 138
6- 130

Jimmy, are you sure that your gauge is operating correctly? Have you used an infrared thermometer to verify your temps?

I would stick with the 7120. I got a reman 7120 from Clearwater. Or like others have said, Russ would be the man to go to. One thing the 0630 does not have is the provision for the second coolant sensor at the back of the head.

One thing the 0630 does not have is the provision for the second coolant sensor at the back of the head.

Not always true.

The 0630 on my early '96 has the lead for the coolant sending unit. I'll have to check the 0630 I got with your old '96 engine one day.

have you smashed up your cat any time recently? a restricted cat will cause the engine temps to climb.

I have replaced the cat conv 6 months ago after I bought the XJ.
I still have not taken the cylinder head off yet and trying to replaced the rad cap from dealer to see if it solve a heating issue, will post the update.

Back