• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replace Factory Headers or Buy New?

WildernessJeep

NAXJA Forum User
So I have the infamous leaking at the weld in the exhaust headers. 1998 XJ classic 4.0L with ~100,000 miles, now only driven on forestry roads and in the snow. The exhaust header (not cast iron manifold) is leaking at the junction between the two banks; I can see the crack. I'm going to pull the headers to do a few things at the same time, and might as well fix the exhaust leak at the same time. I've been researching replacement headers on the interwebs, and it seems like none of them are "bolt on". They all have some problem, no matter how much the cost. Amazon reviews like "replaced twice in six months, still leak" and "parts didn't fit out of the box" seem to be commonplace for headers costing upwards of $400.

My question is: should I buy new, replacement aftermarket headers, or pull the factory header and just weld up the crack? It seems like both have equal chances of success, and one will save me $400.

Buy new, the more you spend on the header, the longer it's going to last (Hint, BANKS). Also what helps the headers last is having decent motor and transmission mounts.

I ran the APN header for a while after my stock one cracked, then when that failed I installed a NOS edelbrock header which I'd had now for a few years.

Seems like they all crack in that area.

As mentioned, you really should buy new. You'd be making repairs to probably the second hottest exhaust component, that's now over 20 years old.

I replaced the header on my 98 with a Dorman header. I liked the expansion sections, and it's held up well for about 4 years now. Great fit, level mount face, snd no leaks or cracks to report since installed.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-674-196?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-dorman&gclid=Cj0KCQjw3KzdBRDWARIsAIJ8TMR1RLTNLxyL1m_hiIDEkPq4QXeMuGt0zuK75Bd3qUaeT8eVfgdyUEoaAu4oEALw_wcB

Back