• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Relocating interior fuse panel

jeepster_259

NAXJA Forum User
Has anybody relocated and/or waterproofed their interior fuse panel? I want to do it to mine, but all of the connectors don't have much slack, so I don't know if there's really anyway to relocate it without cutting all the wires, which I don't plan on doing.

I was thinking of trying to put a plastic case around it somehow and seal that. Looking for ideas.

Have you had problems with it getting wet? Fresh water isn't very conductive, it won't usually short out 12v connections. Long term exposure could lead to corrosion though.

I had water up to my windows inside a couple of weeks ago, so needless to say it got wet. 2 weeks later, I just took it apart and there's still water inside. I want to keep that from happening.

Ah. Well again if it's only going to happen occasionally, there are other things you could try. WD-40 will get the water out. And stain your carpet if you care about such things. You could get a big tube of dielectric grease and go to town filling up all the nooks and crannies with grease. THey also sell that waterproofing electrical spray for plug wires, might be helpful. Or you could try to enclose it in something like a pelican case or a waterproof NEMA box: http://web3.automationdirect.com/adc/Overview/Catalog/Enclosures#non-metallic

Have you had problems with it getting wet? Fresh water isn't very conductive, it won't usually short out 12v connections. Long term exposure could lead to corrosion though.

not to go off topic but what happened to squidbillies?

Back on topic:If you've had water up to the windows....the fuse panel is the least of your worries.

:idea:dont go through deep water and you wont have to worry about stuff like this.:D

I picked up a remote fuse panel (6 fuses)
I have it in my cargo area.
I wired three hot, three to the ignition.
ran the power direct to the battery with a 30 amp fuse.

http://www.12voltguy.com/web/

BOB

Well you're right that having water up to the windows yields other problems, which I'm currently trying to diagnose :rof:
However, while I have everything torn apart, I want to make sure it doesn't happen again.

As far as not going through deep water, down her in S FL, that's all there is! You need a snorkel to go off-roading anywhere down here, for the most part.

As far as not going through deep water, down her in S FL, that's all there is! You need a snorkel to go off-roading anywhere down here, for the most part.

Well there's your problem! Move a real state, problem solved :D

Seriously how can you survive down there? I was just in Ft Lauderdale for a couple of days and I wanted to shoot myself it was so hot and muggy.

If you really want to move it to another spot under your dash, you could just go wire by wire, cut-splice-solder until you have enough slack to move it where you want it.

I am doing this with mine just to get it out from under the darn clutch cylinder.

Back