• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rebuilt 7100s and revalved- no rebound ?

blondejoncherokee

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
so I revolved my 12" short body 7100s to 360/100 custom valving. compression is fine, but the things wont rebound , at all. 220 PSI. I think I might have too much oil in them, we did set the IFP to 10cm. kind of at a loss.

I am going to call Bilstein tomorrow but wondering if anyone on here has first had experience.

Wondering if any of you guys have had this problem and what you did to fix it?

I have no experience with them yet but own a set and will be following this thread. Please let me know the outcome...

I think I figured it out. I did not fill the reservoir first which I should have don't first before filing up the body. Also, I read that the amount of oil truly matters, so I picked up some measuring cups to dial it into exactly 840ML, 200ML in the reservoir, and 640 in the shock body. I am going to give it another shot again.

tore all 3 shocks apart again for the Nth time and dialed in the Oil as per specs, I had too much oil before.

I am running 12" short bodies so I went with the 10" body oil reccomndation of 700ML.
I also filled the reservoirs with 200ML - I did not do this last time. I put 500ML of oil in the main body, which was roughly 2 1/8" - 2.25" below the top of the things.
I set the IFP to 10cm which I only did on one of them last time.

2 of the 3 seem to be working. the 360/100 is pretty stiff so the rebound seems kind of slow , which is what I had wanted.

Ill have to tear the third shockapart again and maybe replace some seals and really double check the oil and IFP. good thing its a spare for the front .

i have never rebuilt bilstiens , but have done plenty of fox and sway aways, iihr you fill the reservoir then put piston like half way down, the over flow will fill the body of shock then fill rest full and put shock piston in slow and put all back together, you don't want air in the shock it will cavitate , it is not a elmulsion shock . its been a few yrs since I did one but that what I recall. then button it up and recharge, do they call for 220psi? or 200?

I would love to get a set to tune. I've been tuning Mountian bike shocks and forks for years. Same concept just much smaller scale.

If all else fails, find a good local shop that can charge them. Should be minimal cash.

I have no2 temporarily borrowing it. Pulled the shocks apart like 10 times each. Ruined one.
Shims stacks they sent where 400/100 so its pretty stiff but my rig is crazy heavy.

Finally dialed in the ifp and filled reservoirs first . I cleaned all the shim stacks really good there was a lot of debris.

Bilstein has been very helpful. Spent 2 hours on the phone with them today. 1.5 hours with their tech.

I need to get it weighed after i do the cage this winter and bring it in fully loaded.

I use bilatein shock oil or clear power steering fluid

Back