• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Bumper w/ Hitch...Help.

I was responding to the post directly above that one.
Anyway, if you want more info on the hanson bumpers look at the 4wd hardware website. I got the latest flyer and they're carrying the hanson bumpers now. Looks as if they're on sale too as an intro thing.

shimmy said:
the crok bumper doesn't stick out at all. infact it sits a little further in than the hatch.

Yup, I have this bumper and tire carier combo on my 98. If you are looking for the best departure angle C-rok has it. I also welded up a Hi-lift mount on the tire carrier, so the jack sits pretty much underneath the tire keeps is high and out of the way. The only way to get the jack off is to remove the tire. And I don't know about you but liftting a 95lbs tire combo up that high isn't alot of fun, even when you are 6'4". Though it makes people think twice about trying to take it. But I love the way it looks and the mounting system I believe is one of the better on the market. Though I only used the top four holes on the side guards. Its a tight fit and I would definitely look into getting the tire carrier for any rear collision protection, the bumper alone is straight and the rear hatch has a bow-out to it. I'll have to get some pics up.

KodiakXJ said:
Thanks for all the Replies so far!

So, here's what I've some up with. I should have mentioned in my first thread I do not plan on using/adding a tire carrier (probably go roof rack mount) The other thing is I'd like one that sticks out just a little bit so I can stand on to reach the roof rack!

Detours
Slim-Line SLS is what I'm looking at here. Receiver hitch built in, tabs, sticks out far enough. Wraps around to fender but not quite far enough (goes to the factory fender, not all the way to the tire) Could this be customized? $450 with receiver.

Let me know what you all think, any feedback would be great (I appreciate all of your responses already) Also, pictures of your rear bumper never hurts. The biggest issue I'm 'stuck' on is the rear quater panels coming to the tire.

KodiakXJ

Like someone else said, you can talk to Mark at Detours and he'll make it go all the way to the edge. He doesn't have a pic on his site of the 99+ version, but you can order it so it goes all the way to the tire - or flush with the existing fender well.

I ordered from Nates about 18 months ago...took about 4 months to get the front bumper. Nothing was up to ordered specs. Light Tabs mounted incorrectly, front brush guard at wrong angle, and after about 6-8 months on the road (little to no trail use) the powdercoating I paid an extra $120 or so for and waited an extra several weeks for began to bubble up, flake off and rust underneath. I had to take a sledge hammer to the light tabs to squeeze in my Hella 4000's and the still rub the body. He did offer to fab up brackets to relocate the lights in front of the brush guard but I decided against it. Just something to think about. (PS. the worst part of it all is that I really like his new winch bumper...:eeks1: )

EMSJEEP said:
I ordered from Nates about 18 months ago...took about 4 months to get the front bumper. Nothing was up to ordered specs. Light Tabs mounted incorrectly, front brush guard at wrong angle, and after about 6-8 months on the road (little to no trail use) the powdercoating I paid an extra $120 or so for and waited an extra several weeks for began to bubble up, flake off and rust underneath. I had to take a sledge hammer to the light tabs to squeeze in my Hella 4000's and the still rub the body. He did offer to fab up brackets to relocate the lights in front of the brush guard but I decided against it. Just something to think about. (PS. the worst part of it all is that I really like his new winch bumper...:eeks1: )

He's definately gotten better and his lead time is a month, but for $50 he will get it out to you right away as in under a week. I just got my front winch bumper from him and love it. I ordered the optional hitch, D rings with the stinger hoop. His frame tie in is great as well and really gives you the safety in knowing that your bumper is attached well and will not rip off unlike the Olympic winch bumper that was stolen off my Jeep and had 3 bolts holding the bumper on, on each side just in the very front. His frame tie in also strengthens up the steering box area so I ditched my modified C-Rok outer plate and just run the inner now with the Nate's4x4 bumper.

Troy

condoor said:
Like someone else said, you can talk to Mark at Detours and he'll make it go all the way to the edge. He doesn't have a pic on his site of the 99+ version, but you can order it so it goes all the way to the tire - or flush with the existing fender well.

i'll echo the plug for DetoursUSA.. mark is an easy guy to deal with and can make just about any custom mods to the deisgn within reason. he actually builds each SLS on the rear clip cut off an XJ that he has mounted in his shop. the bumper actualy "slides" on from the rear because the side protection matches the contours of the body lines. top quality and a real heavy-duty latch on the swing-out.
mark will answer the phone if he's in the shop during the day. he's real busy at home and at the shop but he's reliable.

worth the time and $$ if you ask me.

sidriptide said:
i'll echo the plug for DetoursUSA.. mark is an easy guy to deal with and can make just about any custom mods to the deisgn within reason. he actually builds each SLS on the rear clip cut off an XJ that he has mounted in his shop. the bumper actualy "slides" on from the rear because the side protection matches the contours of the body lines. top quality and a real heavy-duty latch on the swing-out.
mark will answer the phone if he's in the shop during the day. he's real busy at home and at the shop but he's reliable.

worth the time and $$ if you ask me.

Anyone got any pics of the Detours rear with tire carrier? I want to get this bumper but I want to see more pics of it mounted on a 97+.

I have a 2001 XJ. I have the bushwacker fender flares that I had to modify. the 2001 xj had the plastic rear panel that I had to cut to fit up against the fender flare. I want a bumper that wraps around and up to my fender flare. Any suggestions.

Anybody know what happened to the Durango 4x4 bumper for the XJ? I really liked the design of that one a lot, although, I do like the detours....only thing I don't like about a lot of these private guys is that they won't send it painted or powdercoated....all raw metal or at most primered....I want to get it to my house and put it on, not paint!

I have the durango, probably the best looking bumper I have ever seen, works great with my BW's, im not sure where to get them though. I got mine used off CL.

-Alex

Bulletproof made one like you are talking about, pricey like $1200 w/swingout and that was 4 years ago, I dont know if or who took them over. I think Hanson also makes a nice rear.

KodiakXJ said:
AJ appears to have capability to build a bumper I'd be looking for, to bad he on;y wants to be contacted by e-mail, and apparently, isn't replying to them..
The JCR looks good, but I'd have to modify the steel endcaps, or do they sell them as well?

Where has AJ gone ???

Our bumper end caps on the new style rears match the contours of the flare extensions pretty well as-is. You just cut the extension from the bumper straight down the rear quarter where the sheet metal stops, and the bumper end caps fill in that hole.

If you want it to be perfect it's pretty easy to make some thin brackets that attach the very back of the extension to the end caps on the bumper and everything is perfectly flush.

Give us a call if you want to talk more about it... our carriers are on sale for $595 right now.

~Daryl
269-353-1184

stg3xjrearsideback.jpg

stg3xjrearback.jpg

SOUTHTEXASXJ said:
how will it look or fit with no lower molding flare's removed?

It fits well. With the flare extensions the end caps match the contour, but without modification there is a even step down to the end caps all the way around. Which doesn't look bad IMHO because it's even. If you wanted the extensions to flow perfectly into the end caps, like I said before, it's easy to do with some metal straps bolted to the back of the end caps, and attached to the back of the extensions. Then the extensions flow right into the end caps.

Without the extensions in place the end caps are tight enough to the side to not look out of place.

It's a good compromise without making a bumper for each way... thus limiting your ability to pull those extensions off down the road without it looking weird.

Back