• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Bumper and Swing Out Poll

Good Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier

• C4x4

Votes: 42 33.1%
  • BulletProof

Votes: 15 11.8%
  • Other

Votes: 70 55.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Safari Ary said:
I agree with Nay completely about it being a PITA to use the hatch on a regular basis with the tire carrier on. I made my own bumper and tire carrier, so I made the carriers(have a jerry can swingarm for the passenger side, tire goes on the driver's side) removeable. Normally the tire just lays flat in the back along with some misc. tools and my hi-lift. When I need storage room for traveling and 'wheelin, the tire carrier goes on and I have room inside. Best of both worlds IMO. HTH

Ary

Isn't putting the tire in the cargo area defeating the purpose of easy hatch access. A 33" or 35" off road tire will pretty much take up most of the cargo room. I mean, what good is hatch access if the cargo bay is already filled.

I just thought of one more draw back to tire carrier. The ORT I posted earlier can be opened with my boat trailers. The carriers that mount the full length of the bumper like Warn would not allow me to open my hatch at all with the trailer connected. It is bad enough having to release the tire carrier but dropping the trailer every time would be a real PITA.

Joe

I've looked at a bunch of bumpers over the last year or so. I was really close to ordering the C4x4 but decided not to, mainly because of the lack of an integrated hitch mount.

I also looked at the TJM (Rusty's sells it) but it is expensive and I'm not sure if the 97-01 trucks can mount it without modifications. I think I heard that from Jeepzz - he runs it I think.

I've heard Kaymar makes one as well but I'm sure it is going to be mega bucks as well. Didn't bother researching it. Maybe I'm confusing Jeepz bumper with the Kaymar/TJM. Whatever make sense above. :)

I really like the look of the Durango as well but it is quite expensive - especially if you order it with the tire carrier. Not sure how you can justify ~$450USD for a tire carreir on top of the price of the bumper. $20 of steel plus the latch and hinge? Add labour and some reasonable profit... (shrug)

TrailReady looks way too overdone, IMO. I can see my gas consumption going down a few MPG with that bumper (that's a joke).

I was going to order the BPI but then the C-Rok rear bumper came out. I really like the look of this bumper! My `01 is a daily driver and I'm anal so I really like stuff to look well integrated - the C-Rok does that for me. Looks thoughtfully designed as well. And I don't need to figure out some rear quarter rocker protection (i.e. $$$). Bumper does it.

The only problem with the C-Rok is that it doesn't come with a rear tire carrier - at least not yet. Not a big deal - I'll make something up with the MIG. The location of the mounting bolts makes an obvious place to bolt on a rear tire carrier. I like the bumper as it is enough to go that route.

Just need to get together another $200CDN or so and I'll be ordering. I have the money for the bumper but it'll probably cost that much to get it across the border. I guess the lift will have to wait a little longer.

FWIW, while I generally agree with the comments above regarding the PITA factor of a rear swing away carrier, I think the benefits of freeing up some cargo room is worth it. I had a Bronco II years ago. It had the rear swing away carrier (OEM) with an oversize tire mounted and it was fine. I don't think I could have lived without it. A removable carrier would be a nice feature but I think that would be more PITA than just dealing with the carrier being there.

As always, just my spin.

r@m

jeepin.com/outfitters

best price...cheaper than direct.

Root Moose said:
I was going to order the BPI but then the C-Rok rear bumper came out. I really like the look of this bumper! My `01 is a daily driver and I'm anal so I really like stuff to look well integrated - the C-Rok does that for me. Looks thoughtfully designed as well. And I don't need to figure out some rear quarter rocker protection (i.e. $$$). Bumper does it.

The only problem with the C-Rok is that it doesn't come with a rear tire carrier - at least not yet. Not a big deal - I'll make something up with the MIG. The location of the mounting bolts makes an obvious place to bolt on a rear tire carrier. I like the bumper as it is enough to go that route.
r@m

I ordered front and rear C-Rok bumpers a week ago. They should be here next Friday. I'll post some pics after I get them. C-Rok is making a tire carrier for it, but I'm not sure when it will be available. I have their steering box reinforcement kit and it is well made/nicely engineered.

I have my name on the list at RIGID for their new rear bumper. Have seen three pics of the main portion of the bumper. The end caps were not on yet. I did order his winch bumper and will be installing it next week on the front of my jeep.

His prices are good too/

Jes said:
That's actually a very good idea if you need the room sometimes.

When I had a swingout I had the C4X4 and really liked it with 30" tires.
HellHole.jpg

Once I switched to 33s I was less than pleased though as I was dragging that spare over everything.
I have since shunned the idea of ever having a back seat again so the tire just rides inside and I couldn't be happier.

Jes

When did your rig look like that Jes? Wow, you've come a long ways from there.

I bought my rear bumper/tire carrier combo for $320 or $350 shipped from a guy from Phoenix over ebay. He makes these up and I really like it. The latch pin is a little weak I've been told, but it is holding up for me and I run a 35" spare tire. Here are some links to my rig from a trail run, sorry the pic really suck, but I'm getting a digital camera today/tomorrow that I ordered so I should be able to snap some more. Here are the pics:

http://booniebouncers.com/_borders/Hell_Hole_2004_July_Troy.jpg

http://booniebouncers.com/_borders/Hell_Hole_2004_July_Lake-2.jpg

http://booniebouncers.com/_borders/Hell_Hole_2004_July_Troy-2.jpg

Troy

Last edited:
1560tc2.jpg

I have a Tomken bumper with a homebrew tire carrier. I found the bumper at a junkyard that had the brackets for the tire carrier. The tire carrier uses a large hitch pin to keep it shut, the hinge is two brass bushings pressed into the arm of the carrier. It rattles like hell.

The convienience/PITA issue is a matter of preference. I gain more from the gained interior cargo space than I am inconvienienced by having to open and close the tire carrier/hatch.

Just my humble opinion but I had a Tomken bumper and swing out tire carrier and got tired of unscrewing the big nut and the reduced visibility. I was able to fit a 31X10.50 in the stock spare location by moving the rear seat latches up and forward. I'm going to get a Thule basket to carry the excess baggage but not the tire.

MuddinXJ said:
anyone know if they make one that will hold a 38.5x14 tire?
Say good bye to your rearview mirror...

C-Rok is now making what appears to be a really nice rear tire carrier. When I e-mailed them a few days ago they said that it would be out in the next few weeks and would cost $380 for the tire carrier + the bumper. Kindly expensive, but it gets the rear tire up enough to make departure angle a non-issue without putting it on the roof.

Robert

I like the looks of the Poison spider bumper but way expensive anybody running it,and ive some rock ratz bumpers but never a tire carrier for themnot sure they offer one. Checked BPI site seems they are no more.

HoodRichXJ said:
whats the size on the MTR in the last link?

My guess would be a 33". Since that is really the largest tire you could fit there and keep the back seat.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back