• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project Cheap Crawler

YELLAHEEP said:
P1010539.jpg

:doh:
i like your welder, i have the same one in my garage with pre heating it will build motor mounts, bumpers, axle bracketry, dif guards and roll cages to boot.

all you should need to do for the motor mounts is get the 85/86 V6 motor mounts and minor mods to get them to work with the newer V6 set up.

steagall9301 said:
all you should need to do for the motor mounts is get the 85/86 V6 motor mounts and minor mods to get them to work with the newer V6 set up.

Dude..... you just may have given my brain the smack it needed about this issue.... I just assumed this rig had the 2.8 in it originally. Never thought about the possibility that it could have had the 4cyl, never thought to ask Grant.... I thought the motor mount brackets in it looked kinda funny - as in, similar to the ones in my 4.0L. The brackets in it now have a long flat surface coming straight out from the frame rails..... Damn, the more I think about it, those brackets do make more sense as 4cyl brackets.

Guess I'll be taking a trip to the bone yard and take a look at some V6 brackets to see if I can mod those instead.

Thanks brutha!

Wow i can already tell that this jeep will be a fun one. I like those seats, my buddy had a subaru with the same seats and they provide great side support when cornering fast. I dont think you'll do much fast cornering, but in off camber situations they should be great too. Hope everything falls into place for you. I will soon be doing a drivetrain swap from a 97 xj to a 86. Should be fun.

Doubt much has been done. Troy blew out his knee back in July, so working on the heeps has probably been on the back burner

jrsxj98 said:
Doubt much has been done. Troy blew out his knee back in July, so working on the heeps has probably been on the back burner

Indeed. Neither the project or my rig have seen any wrench time. I wish there was something to update other than getting a title for the damn thing is gonna take an act of Congress.......... I won't be putting in any more investment toward it until I decide if the title issue is worth it.

YELLAHEEP said:
Indeed. Neither the project or my rig have seen any wrench time. I wish there was something to update other than getting a title for the damn thing is gonna take an act of Congress.......... I won't be putting in any more investment toward it until I decide if the title issue is worth it.

Oh sorry to hear about your knee. I was hoping to see an update on this rig too...it looks like a nice project.

YELLAHEEP said:
bill of sale and a green sticker ( off road use only )

steagall9301 said:
bill of sale and a green sticker ( off road use only )

Thought about that too.... but Colorado requires a title even to get an OHV registration.... :mad:

I can help you switch the VIN tags:gag:

That could be done. :)

The title should be able to be duplicated........signatures for documents can be found. ;) (actual sigs are not on file at DMV)

The problem could be smog requirements and back reg fees.

Mine is getting green stickered to avoid smog, but I have a title.

Goatman said:
That could be done. :)

The problem could be smog requirements and back reg fees.this is my issue

Mine is getting green stickered to avoid smog, but I have a title.
same here

old_man said:
I can help you switch the VIN tags:gag:

Grant said the same thing...... for some reason, he has a stash.... :gag:

Trust me, if it weren't for my occupation......

The big problem is getting past the STATE certification. If all I needed was a general VIN inspection, I'd just swap VIN tags and a good title and get a buddy to sign it off. Problem is, the VIN is stamped into the firewall too - so just the VIN plates is not gonna fly....... Wait a minute....Hmmmmm. Unless I just get a good title and VIN plates and do just the OHV.....

Shame on me..... I must be :greensmok:

There are 3 vin plates.....one on the dash, one on the firewall, and one on the crossmember under the radiator.

Troy, no way to re-create docs to get a good title? Does Grant have a bus lic at the shop? Can he lien sale it to get a clear title? Do you have a friend who could/would lien sale it for you to get a clear title?

I'd run the DMV printout on it, and give the docs to a friend who could find the folks who need to sign. ;)

richard, i have a boat motor out of a 1976 ski boat in a 1985 XJ ( unless i go propane for a smog exemption ) there is no way i gould ever get it to legally pass smog, so i will just green sticker it, i have the trailer any way.:angel:

Goatman said:
There are 3 vin plates.....one on the dash, one on the firewall, and one on the crossmember under the radiator.

Troy, no way to re-create docs to get a good title? Does Grant have a bus lic at the shop? Can he lien sale it to get a clear title? Do you have a friend who could/would lien sale it for you to get a clear title?

I'd run the DMV printout on it, and give the docs to a friend who could find the folks who need to sign. ;)

Hmmm. Never heard of the Lien sale process. I'll have to look into it. If I understand you correctly, Grant would have to indicate that he reclaimed the XJ after a lien defaulted and had to get a new title after "reposessing" it so to speak?

I dunno if that will work since the vehicle was never titled in Grant's name. From what I understand, Grant never turned the title over and lost it - possibly shredded the wrong title after he scrapped a different XJ from what he says.

Again, this XJ has been out of DMV's records for MANY years and from what DMV tells me, inactive registrations are purged after 5 years. This is what makes this complicated. Lien sale may not work for the same reason - can't lein a vehicle that wasn't registered..... :dunno:

Last edited:
A lien sale is what a shop does if someone never picks up their car and pays the bill. The shop can put a lien on the car to cover the repairs, get's the title and sells the car. DMV has to notify the registered owner at their last address, and after a specified time to respond the lien seller gets the title to the vehicle. Does Grant know how to find the person he got it from? Does he know their name?

Could be more trouble than it's worth. You can run DMV records to see how it's registered, can't you? :)

run a title serch at the DMV ( approx. $10 ) contact the last registered owner and ask them for a bill of sale because of the lost title, after you explane the issue, unless they are a total tight wad tard, they should have no proablem doing it.

if they dont give you a bill of sale then give them a bill for like $10,000.00 for storage fees and then do a lean sale on there a$$es :laugh3:

Back