• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project "BlacknBlueBallz"

I'm sure it would be OK to leave it as is for just a DD but for me I'd rather have it over done since I will put this thing to work and would rather not deal with it breaking again. Eventually this will end up being a really capable offroad rig so its not a bad investment IMO.
i mean... jeeps in general are a pretty poor investment strategy. lol.

but hey, its about the smiles per gallon, right?

Thank you for finishing what I started man, it's really great to see it getting done since it would still just be a lawn ornament for me. I fully approve of the direction it's headed, keep up the great work!

Thank you for finishing what I started man, it's really great to see it getting done since it would still just be a lawn ornament for me. I fully approve of the direction it's headed, keep up the great work!

Thanks! There is definitely more work to do but I'm at a standstill until I get the new XJ to where I want it as a DD and figure out what to do with the 2dr XJ. Ill be doing some smaller stuff to the MJ but I don't expect to be driving it for another couple months. As soon as it's done I'll bring it to des moines so you can see it.

What all does the 2dr need/you want to do?

Im torn on whether I want to keep it or not. All it needs is new transmission solenoids and the fuel pump might be acting up but I'm not 100% sure on that yet. I've got the parts to fix it already but I got a lot going on so I don't really have the time to do it. It's got a couple small things here and there that could use some attention but that's really all it needs tho. Like I said before, this thing is super well maintained, has more new parts than old, and the least rust on any Iowa XJ Ive ever seen. It's a really nice Jeep but I need the money more than I need 3 vehicles right now.

Ah ok. That is a tough call. You can fix it to sell or fix to keep.

Or sell as is.. I won't get quite as much that way but then I don't have to do the work... There is a guy I work with who's interested in it and I know he will actually take care of it but idk what I wanna do. Ugghh

Well after doing a few things that needed done on the new xj (4-hole injectors, New Red vacuum lines, and some TLC and deep cleaning), surviving the literal 9 days straight of rain, and the long weekend... I finally had some time to work on the truck again. Tonight I was able to get the passenger side shock installed. It went on much easier than the drivers side.

I was also able to get the coil spring retainer clip installed and got the brake line fitting replaced on that side.

Last but not least, I got the steering stabilizer installed. I decided to put the Rusty's window decal on the stabilizer because I originally thought it was a sticker for it, and I like it better there than on the window.

Next up is an oil change and swapping the throttle body from my white XJ to see if any of those sensors are affecting the no/rough idle.
f331cdac1c6ce33da0d2d5e72d3de8bf.jpg
0a3abda35c156b463d49029d77a503b6.jpg

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Well it's been a while since Ive done anything with the truck. I've been busy with things on the other two XJs, including hitting a deer with the black one. Don't worry it only dented my drivers side doors and somehow bent the metal behind the mirror and didn't break the mirror. Don't know how thats possible.

I have been thinking about the MJ and how bad I want the thing on the road. Ive come to the conclusion that my issues with it are due to the fact that it still has the renix flexplate in it. Stupid me didn't realize it. I now have to pull the tranny again and I'm not excited about it. I've also decided that I think I want to go a dark blue instead of orange for the paint. Orange is a little too loud I think. And last but not least, thanks to the latest Bleepin Jeep video for showing they exist again, I now have a gen 3 THOR cowl intake in the mail.

Here's some pictures of the deer damage. It's hard to get good pictures of. There is a crease behind the lock and the rear part of the rear door is formed to the inside framing of the door. As for the mirror it pulled the metal out instead of breaking the mirror like I said above. And of course the intake I'm waiting on for the truck. It says for 91+ but I'm gonna make it work in my 90.
e02be62099f98984f079abb516696474.jpg
166fa8b1882adb4c1b91645ed2c4650e.jpg
683385e686668b28b8134b9abbac4893.jpg
3ec58d365bf10da9eaf94ab4d07eadbd.jpg

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Well in the last few days I've decided I no longer want to do orange for the color. I really wanted to do a burnt orange like the Chrysler "Mango Tango" but that just isn't gonna happen in my budget I want to spend on paint. I liked the shades of orange I tested but I think they would be just too bright on the truck for my liking.

I have now chosen Rustoleum's "Deep Blue" as the new color. This is a picture of the tailgate just primed and painted right over the orange with no prep. I think it looks really good, and with the proper prep work, it will look even better. Sorry the lighting is funky with the angles and dents on the gate. It looks better in person.
f202d682a6a7edaf4a6cf67bffe7c5e4.jpg
3e75dd9b73c64fdad8037ec7092eb59c.jpg

Very cool, I approve of the blue, looks great. Blue was the color that I was going to paint it originally, hence the name of the thread...well...sort of.

So I got some time to get the flexplate changed out. I pulled the trans on Tuesday and got the plates changed. I did break the TV cable in the process but a new one is on the way.

The job was made much easier thanks to my new impact from Amazon. I was a little worried it wasn't going to be as good as it said it was but I was mistaken. This thing is amazing. Popped lug nuts off no problem and didn't even sweat over the flexplate bolts. It's rated at 240 lbs and honestly, I could see it doing around 200 no problem. I just wish it was a little shorter. For anyone without an air compressor, this is a great option without breaking the bank.

Today I spent my time reinstalling the trans. I've got it up to within ~1/8" of flush with the block. It is going much smoother than the first time I installed it but I'm doing it solo this time so it's much more tedious. Tomorrow hopefully I'll get it aligned just right so it will slide on all the way.
8fe36deb2745afae361b8b156f777e5f.jpg
a144004627e24715c4ac976e3e72d9e7.jpg

Ok so I have officially decided that it is impossible to get the torque converter completely seated with only 1 set of hands. If anyone wants to come out this weekend and help me get this damn trans installed I'm offering cold beer and various flavors of deer brat and deer dogs.

What is it thats holding it back? Ive had to use a pick to try and pull the converter to the plate. Also have had the tab that bolts the trans tube get stuck between the trans and block that wouldnt let everything tighten up correctly.

Id swing up but cant this weekend as its prep for my trip to Iron Range next weekend and im still moving slow due to the back.

What is it thats holding it back? Ive had to use a pick to try and pull the converter to the plate. Also have had the tab that bolts the trans tube get stuck between the trans and block that wouldnt let everything tighten up correctly.

Id swing up but cant this weekend as its prep for my trip to Iron Range next weekend and im still moving slow due to the back.
I spent quite a bit of time looking and everything is out of the way. It's just the ring on the engine side of the TC that is not sliding in. I can of course get one side to slide forward a bit but that binds the other side. I just can't get enough force on the trans to maneuver it just right and push it on at the same time. I'm starting to screw up my back from all the pushing and pulling.

I read in a few different places that grease is not necessary on this ring but man am I thinking it would have been a good idea. I sprayed some pb blaster on it to try and get some lubrication but it didn't seem to help.

Im probably going to go buy some ratchet straps tomorrow to help pull the trans forward so I don't have to do so much pushing. I'm not gonna use them to force it on, just enough pressure to slide the trans forward once its lined up.

Back