• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Prayers needed, if you're into that sort of thing :/

Oh my... Healing thoughts still going out, and fingers cramping from being crossed for him...

I'm praying.

I went through the broken neck bit. I was paralized for 6 weeks before I even started getting pins and needles. I have probably 99% back.

If he is getting the pins and needles, things will most likely get better. Broken necks heal and can be fixed as long as the cord is still communicating. The trache will make it a lot easier for him to breathe and should speed the healing for the short term.

Thanks for the insider info Old_man, I'll pass it along to the family, and to him. I'm sure it will make them feel much better.

Prayers sent, let His will be done.

Do you know anything about the nature of the accident? Seatbelt use, etc?

I ask cuz im looking at veedub campers and this kinda has me spooked...

Thanks man, i really hope he continues to improve. Our bodies are amazingly resilient and it sounds like he's got a strong spirit. That always helps!

All I know is he was on his way home from work, and was hit by another driver on the right rear corner, dont know any more speciffic than that. i can only assume he wasn't wearing a seatbelt, because he was thrown forward through the windshield as the bus rolled over. those older busses are lap belt only, and with that kind of setup the forward motion of your upper body can be enough to create enough force to break the lower belt sometimes, part of the reason they went to a shoulder belt design.

his wife is pretty broken up, I don't want to pump her for more information right now she has enough to worry about. I can tell you I was in a pretty mild accident in one of my 67 bugs about 8 years ago and the seatbelt tore apart right at the latch. the material was almost 40 years old though so :dunno: from the pics she posted the roof held up well it looks like it slowly rolled over. unfortunately though what ever caused the impact was enough for him to go through the front windshield and have the vehicle roll over onto him, then end up on its side just past where he finally ended up.

All I know is he was on his way home from work, and was hit by another driver on the right rear corner, dont know any more speciffic than that. i can only assume he wasn't wearing a seatbelt, because he was thrown forward through the windshield as the bus rolled over. those older busses are lap belt only, and with that kind of setup the forward motion of your upper body can be enough to create enough force to break the lower belt sometimes, part of the reason they went to a shoulder belt design.

his wife is pretty broken up, I don't want to pump her for more information right now she has enough to worry about. I can tell you I was in a pretty mild accident in one of my 67 bugs about 8 years ago and the seatbelt tore apart right at the latch. the material was almost 40 years old though so :dunno: from the pics she posted the roof held up well it looks like it slowly rolled over. unfortunately though what ever caused the impact was enough for him to go through the front windshield and have the vehicle roll over onto him, then end up on its side just past where he finally ended up.

Yeah, definitely don't ask her. You've given me a bunch of info...

I've got a wife and three kids, and am simply looking for the most effective/safest/most reliable camper, and I keep coming back to a VW westfalia camper w/ a diesel for the effective/reliable part, but I hear of so few accidents with them it has left me wondering about safety.

My dad has an 86 vanagon westy with the three points you're talking about, as well as nice beefy steel bumpers. Should keep him pretty safe if the worst happens.

Thanks again for answering my question. :) All my best to your friend and his family...

I'm praying.

I went through the broken neck bit. I was paralized for 6 weeks before I even started getting pins and needles. I have probably 99% back.

If he is getting the pins and needles, things will most likely get better. Broken necks heal and can be fixed as long as the cord is still communicating. The trache will make it a lot easier for him to breathe and should speed the healing for the short term.

just wanted to pass on a big thank you from Louis and his wife, you've given them some hope and put him in a much better mood. thank you very much.

Family Prayers and best wishes sent from day one ! Hope he keeps getting better,sounds like a horrible accident.

yeah pretty bad. thanks for the support everyone. its killing me, he keeps getting better then worse, back and forth. ugh

I called and talked to his wife 2 days ago, nothing since then. she posts quite a bit on facebook and the only thing she has posted in last the past 2 days is an update on his cat scans saying there are no other blood clots that they can see. I'm going to call tonight again.

good news, he was awake and smiling today, but in lots of pain. sitting up and trying to talk but can't too well with the trach tube.

at least he's somewhat out of the red zone, im glad for that.

Hey Grim i just saw this thread (been away from the threads for awhile). Will keep your friend and his wife/family in prayer.

Back