• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Under Dash

Tuckman1941

NAXJA Member #747
So I'm in the process of installing my new CB radio, and thought it would be easy to get switched power off my cig lighter socket. I started unscrewing the panels around my dash and ran out of screws to take out.

How do I remove the center part of my dash?

While I'm at it, I'm planing on hardwiring a few other things. I want them all switched so I don't have to worry about killing my battery.

There must be an easier way to get my hands on a hot wire. Everything on my 2000 is neatly tucked away where I can't tell what's what.

Tucker

well according to my '98 FSM, here's what it says to remove the center section of the dash that's around the stereo and climate controls...

Using a trim stick or other suitable wide flat-bladed tool, gently pry the instument panel center bezel away from the instrument panel to release the six snap clip retainers.

i'm not sure how much difference there is between a '98 and a '00. hope it helps

Great, I was about to try something along those lines but felt like I was going to do something I'd regret.

I guess my next investment is going to be an FSM!

Thanks!

Tucker

The center section (where the radio/lighters are) just snaps straight out.Its held on by like 4 or maybe 6 clips(It hasn't been off lately).

FWIW: My CB (wired to a constant hot) has been turned off maybe 4 times in the 3 years I've had it in my XJ, and the only time my battery has died is when I leave something else on, like headlights. I don't think a quiet CB is much of a power draw, at least my CB isn't.

Just thought I'd toss that one in.

Chris O.

On my '98 the cigarette lighter isn't always hot. It's only on when the ignition is on. Try wiring it to the aux power supply socket instead. Thats the way I hooked mine up.

That is how I wired my CB, I have a 00 and I just pulled the plastic off that goes around the radio and heat controls. Then I took a scotch lock and connected the power wire to the Aux. power socket and I crimped a rind on to the neg line and put that under the nut that holds the sub panel in the dash.

Back