• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power to weight Ratio: Why are XJs slow?

Nope, was running out of road. It's funny, when I used to commute down the highway in both Jeeps some days I'd forget which one I was in after all the noise in the MJ seemed to fade to a faint buzz. The view over the dash is the same. Until I hit the throttle, then I'd remember real quick.

So you have another Jeep besides the MJ?

mid to low 15s on the 1/4 mile.
===============================
01 5 speed here I turn low 14/ high 13 all day WHEN NEW(ER)
2 WD have turned LOW 13 on many tracks. (((((BONE STOCK))))) <- With factory air cleaner in place!!!!!!!!
The 2000 poop ports SUCK BIG TIME get an early head and pipes.
Your 7 year old engine is tired. Why would you put it up to a 1 and a half year old engine???????????
run 7 year old rice burner.
Go NOS but do it right.

Badron, since you seem to take your vehicles to the track. What do you a think a 2000, 4dr, 4wd auto would run? Mainly stock besides a cone filter and 29.5 tires. Its only got 77k on the motor.

Last edited:
Speaking of going fast... Last night i was racing my buddies 3.4L Alero (grandma car)
He always thinks its so fast, but i was just barely beating him on the highway....
showed that ricer lol!!

How about a '95 2dr, 2wd, AW4 with 26" tires and 3.73 gearing and LSD? :)

I have 3.73's and 31's behind my AX15 and its quick. yours should be quick with that setup. But, if you could find a 4 cyl jeep around they came stock with 4.10s and it would be a direct swap.

My 96 used to be pretty quick. Back when it was on 235/75s and steel wheels with nothing but a K&N drop in air filter. Outran a newer Neon, a few Civics, and a very frustrated BMW 323i. I had a few Civics outrun me and my buddy's 95 Mustang GT conv couldn't get any more than half a car length on me. Then came the BB and 30s, now the real lift and 33s. Still on stock gears. It's a dog now. :D

I have 3.73's and 31's behind my AX15 and its quick. yours should be quick with that setup. But, if you could find a 4 cyl jeep around they came stock with 4.10s and it would be a direct swap.

Yeah we did some back of the envelope calcs and with 26 or 27" tires we'd run out of gearing with the 4:10

joining this conversation kinda late but I was wondering if someone could explain why everyone seems to think a manual transmission is by definition faster than an automatic.

is it simply the gear ratio?

it is my understanding that an automatic will almost always beat a manual in a drag race if the final drive ratio is the same.

doesn't a torque converter multiply the torque until it reaches stall speed?

can a human being possibly shift a mechanical linkage faster than a computer can fire a solenoid?

seems to me that an automatic with the right gears and tires (and maybe valve body modification) should smoke a manual any day.

-B

Different gear ratios, a true overdrive on the 5spd and the AW4 eats up a lot of power. I haven't seen the numbers on either the AX15 or the NV3500 but they should be more efficient.
Automatics that are set up for a drag race are faster than a standard. The AW4 doesn't have the aftermarket support of a chevy or ford product.

Just throwin what I know out there.

the aw4 just eats up more power going up through the gears. I couldnt belive how quick the a 5 speed with 3.08s and 30s was compared to the aw4 with 3.55 and 30s. Now tha being said if you put the 2 side by side and the guy driving the stick has no clue what hes doing ya the aw4 will win but you know how to row a 5 speed it will win. Belive it or not i realy liked the 30s with 3.08s at times i wished for a lower first gear but once you launch it pulled realy well. 3rd gear was good to some where around 80 plus so merging was a breeze. My 2wd I am building is getting an alum 44 out of a zj with 3.73s and I will be running about a 27" tire.

joining this conversation kinda late but I was wondering if someone could explain why everyone seems to think a manual transmission is by definition faster than an automatic.

is it simply the gear ratio?

it is my understanding that an automatic will almost always beat a manual in a drag race if the final drive ratio is the same.

doesn't a torque converter multiply the torque until it reaches stall speed?

can a human being possibly shift a mechanical linkage faster than a computer can fire a solenoid?

seems to me that an automatic with the right gears and tires (and maybe valve body modification) should smoke a manual any day.

-B

On fast cars automatics are faster because they shift faster and offer better control, on slow cars (XJs, econoboxes) manuals are faster because they're more efficient and slow cars need all they power they can get.

I can agree that an automatic in a xj will kill it true performance. When I did the v8 swap in my xj it turn it into a quick alittle jeep. even with 33 and 3.55 gears it was way faster than it all stock. I still think it was faster than my current Zj with the same motor and setup. That it sounded awesome when driving it. Was to hard to swap in either. If you get a ZJ donor it almost becomes a bolt in project.
25239550084_large.jpg

25239550081_large.jpg

Back