• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power to weight Ratio: Why are XJs slow?

Before the stroker, my 94 2dr 2wd ax15 maxed w/ bolt-ons could beat my friend's vr6 gti w/ mild eip tuning(intake, exhaust, chip). He told me that the 1.8t s are faster than vr6s and that eip can boost those t's pretty good.

curb weight 2wd = 2,891 lbs - 2,993 lbs
curb weight 4wd = 3,057 lbs - 3,386 lbs

for a stock vehicle. varies by optional equipment

Except those are dry weights without any fluids. A full tank of gas with all the fluids adds another 180lb, while the optional Offroad Package adds a further 55lb so a stock 4.0 XJ can weigh as much as 3620lb.
My '92 4-door 4WD Laredo with Offroad Package weighed 3575lb with a full tank of gas when it was stock.

Except those are dry weights without any fluids. A full tank of gas with all the fluids adds another 180lb, while the optional Offroad Package adds a further 55lb so a stock 4.0 XJ can weigh as much as 3620lb.
My '92 4-door 4WD Laredo with Offroad Package weighed 3575lb with a full tank of gas when it was stock.

Well I apologisze for my numbers, but they were the best the interwebs had to offer at the time.

Borla header&cat back, magnaflow cat, K&N fipk, 62mmTB, 99+intake, Jet 2 chip, Auburn LSD w/3.55s.

I just mainly got into this discussion when i started to wonder if my Chero could beat my brothers Cummins diesel.
That all depends on what year his dodge is and what he has done to it. there are very few xjs that will run with my 1 ton dodge but its not stock.

That all depends on what year his dodge is and what he has done to it. there are very few xjs that will run with my 1 ton dodge but its not stock.

'94 12 valve. Big exhaust, larger fuel plate. Probably some other mods.
Its pretty fast.... or atleast it sounds like its fast.

I think the OP was just wondering why there seems to be some disproportionation between the quickness of the xj and the apparent power to weight ratios. And that can pretty much be explained with the gearing and drivetrain loss that's already been mentioned.

As far as the 1.8T thing goes, I raced one from a stoplight to about 50 and it was freakin close but he pulled less than a length on me. The 1.8T looked pretty much stock but I could definately hear the turbo so maybe he had intake. And my jeep just had exhaust and a drop in K&N. And the typical ricers with civics with a fart cannon and a wing I would routinely whip the snot out of, which was always hillarious.

I think it's pretty funny how there are some huge losers on this board that seem to lead a "purplecherokee-centric" life; apparently because they have no life of their own. Some of you guys need to being so high and mighty and stop flaming a guy for askin a legit question. No, not everybody is very well versed in performance, that's what this board is for!

By today's SUV standards the XJ is very light in comparison to others so if you build up a mild 4.6 stroker putting down about 200hp at the wheels or 250hp at the crank, the power/weight ratio is pretty impressive and the XJ will go like a raped ape with a 5-speed AX15.

Does anyone know how light a 2wd AW4 mid 90's XJ can get? Assuming they are about 3100lbs in running condition I wonder how much cr@p can be pulled from the interior and engine bay?

Hahah, could it not quite make it to 60?

Nope, was running out of road. It's funny, when I used to commute down the highway in both Jeeps some days I'd forget which one I was in after all the noise in the MJ seemed to fade to a faint buzz. The view over the dash is the same. Until I hit the throttle, then I'd remember real quick.

Back