• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"Pottymouth" Earnhardt

bchulett said:
You want exciting ?? ... go see a motorsport where the racer's don't have brakes...

Name three and you'll receive a free NASCAR pennant.

Good luck.
Hydro's
Ocean Opens
Swamp runners

And...

Yacht Racers (Don't use the motor much, but they don't have brakes!) ;)

--ron

Captain Ron said:
Hydro's
Ocean Opens
Swamp runners

And...

Yacht Racers (Don't use the motor much, but they don't have brakes!) ;)

--ron

And to add to that list, Speedway motorcyles also don't have brakes. Think about it... 0 - 60 in under 2 seconds and no brakes :skull1:

500gL.jpg

Hydro's
Ocean Opens
Swamp runners

And...

Yacht Racers (Don't use the motor much, but they don't have brakes!)

--ron

They need to have wheels like the Swamp runner.

Ivan said:
And to add to that list, Speedway motorcyles also don't have brakes. Think about it... 0 - 60 in under 2 seconds and no brakes :skull1:

Good ... getting better.

One more.

bchulett said:
They need to have wheels like the Swamp runner.

Good ... getting better.

One more.
Air races. Unless you count flaps etc... as brakes.

bchulett said:
Needs to stay on the ground ... water and air doesn't count.
Oh, I though you said motorsports. If the rules are going to change based on the expected answer... that is no fun. :D

Glenn said:
Oh, I though you said motorsports. If the rules are going to change based on the expected answer... that is no fun. :D

That would make Chip Hanauer the fastest pedeler of a hydro I've ever seen. The damn thinG has a motor, but now it's not a sport...hmm.

Last edited:
red91inWA said:
That would make Chip Hanauer the fastest pedeler of a hydro I've ever seen. The damn think has a motor, but now it's not a sport...hmm.
Huh?? :) You are confusing the Motorsports Hall of Fame with the Redneck Motorsports Hall of Fame maybe?

Motorsports is Motorsports IMHO.

Glenn said:
Oh, I though you said motorsports. If the rules are going to change based on the expected answer... that is no fun.

LOL. We started this discussion on the ground ... if you want to move it to the water ... to the air ... or somewhere in between then that makes the "brakes" question too easy.

To be honest ... after I posted the question I was having trouble coming up with three until the "swamp runner" thing was mentioned.

I was thinking more on the lines of motorcycles ... specifically speedway and ice racing.

But it's too late now ... the free NASCAR pennant is gone.

Last edited:
bchulett said:
LOL. We started this discussion on the ground ... if you want to move it to the water ... to the air ... or somewhere in between then that makes the "brakes" question too easy.

To be honest ... after I posted the question I was having trouble coming up with three until the "swamp runner" thing was mentioned.

I was thinking more on the lines of motorcycles ... specifically speedway and ice racing.

But it's too late now ... the free NASCAR pennant is gone.

Well, I was going to throw in ice racing with my original response, but I figured you would have said it's the same as Speedway racing, only on ice. :dunce:

Ivan said:
Well, I was going to throw in ice racing with my original response, but I figured you would have said it's the same as Speedway racing, only on ice. :dunce:

I was a huge speedway fan .. back in the day when they still burned nitro. Cool photo you posted there. Here's a link to the local track I went to when I was in high school ... Irwindale

Ice racers are fun to watch too .. especially when someone falls down.

bchulett said:
I was a huge speedway fan .. back in the day when they still burned nitro. Cool photo you posted there. Here's a link to the local track I went to when I was in high school ... Irwindale

Ice racers are fun to watch too .. especially when someone falls down.

Ahhh.. I love the smell of nitro in the morning (reminded me of Shinola shoe polish). I too was a huge speedway fan, but at the time Moto-X and Desert racing were my cup of tea. Names like Rick Woods, Mike & Steve Bast, Wild Bill Cody, Rick Ferrel, Bruce Penhall (he also did the CHiPs TV series for a little bit), etc.; bring back fond memories.

I use to go to all the Speedway races at Orange County Fairgrounds, and around the So Cal circuit. In 1975 - 1976, I actually pitted and tuned speedway bikes for Billy Gray. Anyone remember "Bud Anderson" on "Fathers Knows Best"? Yep, one in the same. He went to the Speedway nationals in 1976 and finished about 7th or so. I had to quit pitting for him because I transferred to Cal Poly - San Luis Obispo, and couldn't do it anymore. I'm gonna have to dig up pic of Billy Gray and I; after him winning a main event, and post it up when I find it....

I miss Speedway bikes and all the excitement... :(

Ivan

Grant said:
Look for an article in Grassroots Motorsports comparing the Charger to a Honda minivan.

Obviously the Charger was quite the vehicle in it's day, but 30 years later a minivan has similar or better performance in every aspect except outright acceleration.

If I hadn't seen the test myself I would not have believed it.
:shocked: ...... ok that ima have to look into as well- thats like uhhhhh dare i say- putting the cherokee badge on a liberty

Ivan said:
Ahhh.. I love the smell of nitro in the morning (reminded me of Shinola shoe polish). I too was a huge speedway fan, but at the time Moto-X and Desert racing were my cup of tea. Names like Rick Woods, Mike & Steve Bast, Wild Bill Cody, Rick Ferrel, Bruce Penhall (he also did the CHiPs TV series for a little bit), etc.; bring back fond memories.

I use to go to all the Speedway races at Orange County Fairgrounds, and around the So Cal circuit. In 1975 - 1976, I actually pitted and tuned speedway bikes for Billy Gray. Anyone remember "Bud Anderson" on "Fathers Knows Best"? Yep, one in the same. He went to the Speedway nationals in 1976 and finished about 7th or so. I had to quit pitting for him because I transferred to Cal Poly - San Luis Obispo, and couldn't do it anymore. I'm gonna have to dig up pic of Billy Gray and I; after him winning a main event, and post it up when I find it....

I miss Speedway bikes and all the excitement... :(

Ivan

I was also into desert and moto-x scene during that time. I never raced desert, but was out at El Mirage just about every other weekend during the Spring and Fall. I raced "High School" MX series at OC and Irwindale raceway ... then joined CRC and raced at Saddleback and Indian Dunes mostly.

I wanted to race speedway so bad ... but couldn't afford the Jawa bike. I had this thing for the venue ... nitro-burning 500cc Jawa's pitched sideways... rooster tails... no brakes... and exiting the apexes with the front wheel in the air ... and then the HOT trophy girls---my kind of racing.

As you mentioned, I do remember seeing Gray in the early days when he was in 2nd division ... turned himself backward and hit the wall a few times. Do you remember a guy by the name of Billy Meister ? ... and maybe his sister Dianne Meister ? ED Meister, their father, was the promoter over at Irwindale.

Well .. I went to the same High School with the Meisters. Dianne Meister was the "hot" trophy girl at Irwindale... and was she HOT. I can't remember exactly ... but Mike or Steve Bast (the one that won the national championship) really got the trophy ... meaning Dianne Meister. They got married and lived happily ever after.

But I remember all those 1st division guys very well ... all the ones you listed.

Ever hear of a guy by the name of Ronnie Correy over at Costa Mesa?

Back